Обсуждение: Error message: Ralation X does not have attribute Y

Error message: Ralation X does not have attribute Y

От
Jan Oksfeldt Jonasen
Дата:
Hi,
I'm a very new user of the PostgreSQL database, but I've quickly
encountered what I consider an pretty odd error. Let it be said, this is
using the PeerDirect PostgreSQL Beta 4 using Win2K SP3, so it's bound to
have certain issues. The following is from a simple console session with psql.

pgtestdb=# CREATE TABLE SMT_PROPERTIES ( "PropertyKey" varchar (50)  NOT
NULL,"PropertyValue" varchar (255)  ) WITHOUT OIDS;
CREATE
pgtestdb=# select * from smt_properties;
  PropertyKey | PropertyValue
-------------+---------------
(0 rows)

pgtestdb=# \d smt_properties
                Table "smt_properties"
     Column     |          Type          | Modifiers
---------------+------------------------+-----------
  PropertyKey   | character varying(50)  | not null
  PropertyValue | character varying(255) |

pgtestdb=# INSERT INTO SMT_PROPERTIES (propertykey, propertyvalue) VALUES
('schemaversion','none');
ERROR:  Relation 'smt_properties' does not have attribute 'propertykey'

The error simply can't be true :-) I've also tried using "correct" case on
the various letters in both table and column names, but without any luck so
far.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards

Jan Oksfeldt Jonasen
Northmann A/S
web: http://www.northmann.com
newsgroup: news:news.northmann.com

Re: Error message: Ralation X does not have attribute Y

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Jan Oksfeldt Jonasen writes:

> The error simply can't be true :-) I've also tried using "correct" case on
> the various letters in both table and column names, but without any luck so
> far.

You need to double-quote the names or they will be converted to lower
case.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Error message: Ralation X does not have attribute Y

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 6 Aug 2003 at 14:34, Jan Oksfeldt Jonasen wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a very new user of the PostgreSQL database, but I've quickly
> encountered what I consider an pretty odd error. Let it be said, this is
> using the PeerDirect PostgreSQL Beta 4 using Win2K SP3, so it's bound to
> have certain issues. The following is from a simple console session with psql.
>
> pgtestdb=# CREATE TABLE SMT_PROPERTIES ( "PropertyKey" varchar (50)  NOT
> NULL,"PropertyValue" varchar (255)  ) WITHOUT OIDS;
> CREATE

Why are you quoting column names? Is that required? What happens if you don't?

Bye
 Shridhar

--
understand, v.:    To reach a point, in your investigation of some subject, at
which    you cease to examine what is really present, and operate on the    basis of

Re: Error message: Ralation X does not have

От
Jan Oksfeldt Jonasen
Дата:
At 01:40 PM 8/6/2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>You need to double-quote the names or they will be converted to lower
>case.

Thank you both. The reason why the initial table creation have quoted
columns names is that it's generated by a program we use for schema
creation. I'm currently adding to it so it can support Postgres too and the
way columns are set up was more or less copied from the MS Sql implementation.

I'm really not used to databases being so case sensitive, neither Oracle or
MS Sql Server is that, but I'll keep this thing in mind moving along. Quite
impressed with the response time, or maybe it was just a too easy question :-)

Best regards

Jan Oksfeldt Jonasen
Northmann A/S
web: http://www.northmann.com
newsgroup: news:news.northmann.com

Re: Error message: Ralation X does not have

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:06:12PM +0100, Jan Oksfeldt Jonasen wrote:
> At 01:40 PM 8/6/2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >You need to double-quote the names or they will be converted to lower
> >case.
> >

> Thank you both. The reason why the initial table creation have quoted
> columns names is that it's generated by a program we use for schema
> creation. I'm currently adding to it so it can support Postgres too and the
> way columns are set up was more or less copied from the MS Sql
> implementation.
>
> I'm really not used to databases being so case sensitive, neither Oracle or
> MS Sql Server is that, but I'll keep this thing in mind moving along. Quite
> impressed with the response time, or maybe it was just a too easy question
> :-)

Well, it's only case-sensetive if you ask for it, ie by quoting. The basic
rule is:

Either always quote or never quote.

Always quote = case-sensetive
Never quote = case-insensetive

> "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good
> men to do nothing." - Edmond Burke
> "The penalty good people pay for not being interested in politics is to be
> governed by people worse than themselves." - Plato

Вложения