Обсуждение: Graphical Mapping a Database

Graphical Mapping a Database

От
"Tim Edwards"
Дата:
I have been request to create a relational database map that can be place on
the wall in my office. Generally I done these in the past by just manually
typing the information into Access and then printing a map from there.
However the database they want mapped has a couple dozen tables in it and I
don't relish the idea of entering all that by hand. Nor do I relish the idea
of sitting down and writing one a program to automaticly do it if there one
aviaiable.

Does anyone have a utility to map out database structures and put it in a
printable format ? PDF, GIF, JPG, etc.

Re: Graphical Mapping a Database

От
Andre Truter
Дата:
On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 21:49, Tim Edwards wrote:
> I have been request to create a relational database map that can be place on
> the wall in my office. Generally I done these in the past by just manually
> typing the information into Access and then printing a map from there.
> However the database they want mapped has a couple dozen tables in it and I
> don't relish the idea of entering all that by hand. Nor do I relish the idea
> of sitting down and writing one a program to automaticly do it if there one
> aviaiable.
>
> Does anyone have a utility to map out database structures and put it in a
> printable format ? PDF, GIF, JPG, etc.

I have used DataArchitect to do that.  It can reverse-engineer the
database and draw a physical model of the database.

http://www.thekompany.com

HTH
--

Andre Truter    Software Engineer   Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899   AIM: trusoftzaf     http://www.trusoft.za.net

Re: Graphical Mapping a Database

От
David Fetter
Дата:
"Tim Edwards" <mor4321@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have been request to create a relational database map that can be
> place on the wall in my office. Generally I done these in the past
> by just manually typing the information into Access and then
> printing a map from there.  However the database they want mapped
> has a couple dozen tables in it and I don't relish the idea of
> entering all that by hand. Nor do I relish the idea of sitting down
> and writing one a program to automaticly do it if there one
> aviaiable.
>
> Does anyone have a utility to map out database structures and put it
> in a printable format ? PDF, GIF, JPG, etc.

Try DBVisualizer at <http://www.minq.se/>.

HTH :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100    cell: +1 415 235 3778

Everyone who lives, dies.  Not everyone who dies has ever lived.

Re: Graphical Mapping a Database

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 23:17, David Fetter wrote:
> "Tim Edwards" <mor4321@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been request to create a relational database map that can be
> > place on the wall in my office. Generally I done these in the past
> > by just manually typing the information into Access and then
> > printing a map from there.  However the database they want mapped
> > has a couple dozen tables in it and I don't relish the idea of
> > entering all that by hand. Nor do I relish the idea of sitting down
> > and writing one a program to automaticly do it if there one
> > aviaiable.
> >
> > Does anyone have a utility to map out database structures and put it
> > in a printable format ? PDF, GIF, JPG, etc.
>
> Try DBVisualizer at <http://www.minq.se/>.

There's also AutoDoc http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.html which can
output to a dia-compatible format.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |

Re: Graphical Mapping a Database

От
Jeffrey Melloy
Дата:
If you don't mind spending  a little money and are on Windows, you can
use Microsoft Visio Professional.

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 01:38  AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 23:17, David Fetter wrote:
>> "Tim Edwards" <mor4321@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have been request to create a relational database map that can be
>>> place on the wall in my office. Generally I done these in the past
>>> by just manually typing the information into Access and then
>>> printing a map from there.  However the database they want mapped
>>> has a couple dozen tables in it and I don't relish the idea of
>>> entering all that by hand. Nor do I relish the idea of sitting down
>>> and writing one a program to automaticly do it if there one
>>> aviaiable.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a utility to map out database structures and put it
>>> in a printable format ? PDF, GIF, JPG, etc.
>>
>> Try DBVisualizer at <http://www.minq.se/>.
>
> There's also AutoDoc http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.html which can
> output to a dia-compatible format.

> | Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
> | Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
> |                                                               |
> | "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
> |    Johnny Bravo                                               |
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: Graphical Mapping a Database

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 01:42, Jeffrey Melloy wrote:
> If you don't mind spending  a little money and are on Windows, you can
> use Microsoft Visio Professional.

The Force is strong in him, but he has strayed to the Dark Side.
Very surprising, since he uses a Mac...

> On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 01:38  AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> >> Try DBVisualizer at <http://www.minq.se/>.
> >
> > There's also AutoDoc http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.html which can
> > output to a dia-compatible format.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |

Re: Graphical Mapping a Database

От
Jeffrey Melloy
Дата:
The difference between "my money" and "my work's money". :)

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 03:09  AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 01:42, Jeffrey Melloy wrote:
>> If you don't mind spending  a little money and are on Windows, you can
>> use Microsoft Visio Professional.
>
> The Force is strong in him, but he has strayed to the Dark Side.
> Very surprising, since he uses a Mac...

>>> There's also AutoDoc http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.html which can
>>> output to a dia-compatible format.
>
> --
> | Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
> | Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
> |                                                               |
> | "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
> |    Johnny Bravo                                               |

Re: Graphical Mapping a Database

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi,

Jeffrey Melloy wrote:
> The difference between "my money" and "my work's money". :)

But Visio sucks anyway. If on Windows, there is also
casestudio (www.casestudio.com)
(seems to need some help for 7.3)

And it kinda works with wine also :-)

Re: Graphical Mapping a Database

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
There is also Dezign for Databases, http://www.datanamic.com/

Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Jeffrey Melloy wrote:
>
>> The difference between "my money" and "my work's money". :)
>

> But Visio sucks anyway. If on Windows, there is also
> casestudio (www.casestudio.com)
> (seems to need some help for 7.3)
>
> And it kinda works with wine also :-)

Re: Graphical Mapping a Database

От
Christopher Murtagh
Дата:
On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 00:17, David Fetter wrote:
> "Tim Edwards" <mor4321@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have a utility to map out database structures and put it
> > in a printable format ? PDF, GIF, JPG, etc.
>
> Try DBVisualizer at <http://www.minq.se/>.

 FWIW, we bought a site license for DBVis and it has been pretty great.
It runs on my YellowDog Linux (PPC) and RedHat desktops as well as our
MacOS X machines. Well worth the $$ IMO.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Christopher Murtagh