Обсуждение: Mailing list in French

Mailing list in French

От
Francois Suter
Дата:
To all French speakers on the list,

I am pleased to announce the start of a PostgreSQL general mailing list
in French. Its name is pgsql-fr-generale. I hope many of you will join
it so that we can make it an interesting place.

Ever since Justin "promoted" me to French advocacy contact I received
several requests for information from people who were obviously quite
ill at ease with English. I suppose this list could be a boon to
advocacy of PostgreSQL in French-speaking countries.

Cheers.

"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 19 Aug 2003 at 10:01, Francois Suter wrote:

> To all French speakers on the list,
>
> I am pleased to announce the start of a PostgreSQL general mailing list
> in French. Its name is pgsql-fr-generale. I hope many of you will join
> it so that we can make it an interesting place.
>
> Ever since Justin "promoted" me to French advocacy contact I received
> several requests for information from people who were obviously quite
> ill at ease with English. I suppose this list could be a boon to
> advocacy of PostgreSQL in French-speaking countries

Well, the idea of mailing list is to exchange information and help each other.
Obviously if few great things happen on some mailing list and others don't come
to know it, defeats the purpose of having a mailing list.

As an experiment can we have a translation gateway so that these two lists, in
general and french-general can interact? I mean the idea should be to help
people getting communicate better rather than having a separate list as such.

Just a thought..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Year, n.:    A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.        -- Ambrose
Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Francois Suter
Дата:
> Well, the idea of mailing list is to exchange information and help
> each other.
> Obviously if few great things happen on some mailing list and others
> don't come
> to know it, defeats the purpose of having a mailing list.

I agree. This is one of my worries. If nothing happens on the French
list, it will be an empty shell. Then again, there seems to be a demand
for something not in English. So here goes and let's just hope it will
work out.

> As an experiment can we have a translation gateway so that these two
> lists, in
> general and french-general can interact? I mean the idea should be to
> help
> people getting communicate better rather than having a separate list
> as such.

That would be nice, but how could we go about that?

Cheers

"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 19 Aug 2003 at 15:04, Francois Suter wrote:
> > As an experiment can we have a translation gateway so that these two
> > lists, in
> > general and french-general can interact? I mean the idea should be to
> > help
> > people getting communicate better rather than having a separate list
> > as such.
>
> That would be nice, but how could we go about that?

I don't know how to translate emails as such but I think we could hack in few
things to translate archives..

Well, let's say we start tracking list archives in english and periodically
getting them translated using altavista and storing the resulted copies. I
don't know if altavista would allow to do that etc.

I tried searching for language translation tools but I have nothing concrete as
yet..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Issawi's Laws of Progress:    The Course of Progress:        Most things get steadily
worse.    The Path of Progress:        A shortcut is the longest distance between two

Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:40:31PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 19 Aug 2003 at 10:01, Francois Suter wrote:
>
> > I am pleased to announce the start of a PostgreSQL general mailing list
> > in French. Its name is pgsql-fr-generale. I hope many of you will join
> > it so that we can make it an interesting place.
>
> Well, the idea of mailing list is to exchange information and help each other.
> Obviously if few great things happen on some mailing list and others don't come
> to know it, defeats the purpose of having a mailing list.

Yeah, but there's not too much you can do about it.  You can check what
goes on in the spanish list at
http://tlali.iztacala.unam.mx/mailman/listinfo/pgsql-ayuda

There's a respectable amount of traffic, and I don't think there's
anyone who would want to translate it.

> As an experiment can we have a translation gateway so that these two lists, in
> general and french-general can interact? I mean the idea should be to help
> people getting communicate better rather than having a separate list as such.

Err... and who is doing the work, exactly?  (Maybe Google or Babelfish?
Care to set it up?)

"La grandeza es una experiencia transitoria.  Nunca es consistente.
Depende en gran parte de la imaginación humana creadora de mitos"
(Irulan)

Дата:
> Yeah, but there's not too much you can do about it.  You can check what
> goes on in the spanish list at
> http://tlali.iztacala.unam.mx/mailman/listinfo/pgsql-ayuda

> There's a respectable amount of traffic, and I don't think there's
> anyone who would want to translate it.

Yeah, it could only be workable if automatic translation (babelfish)
were good enough.  I have my doubts...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Mailing list in French

От
"Erwan DUROSELLE"
Дата:
> > I am pleased to announce the start of a PostgreSQL general mailing
list
> > in French. Its name is pgsql-fr-generale. I hope many of you will
join
> > it so that we can make it an interesting place.

I'd be glad to join, but I couldn't find where or how to subscribe...

Erwan

Re: Mailing list in French

От
Francois Suter
Дата:
> I'd be glad to join, but I couldn't find where or how to subscribe...

It's not yet posted on the web site, but you can subscribe by sending a
mail to majordomo@postgresql.org, leave the subject line blank and put
in the body "SUBSCRIBE pgsql-fr-generale".

Bye

Guillaume LELARGE
Дата:
Le Mardi 19 Août 2003 15:27, Erwan DUROSELLE a écrit :
> I'd be glad to join, but I couldn't find where or how to subscribe...

Juste send a mail to majordomo@postgresql.org with
subscribe pgsql-fr-generale
in your email's body.

--
Guillaume <!-- http://absfr.tuxfamily.org/ -->.

Guillaume LELARGE
Дата:
Le Mardi 19 Août 2003 15:35, Francois Suter a écrit :
> > I'd be glad to join, but I couldn't find where or how to subscribe...
>
> It's not yet posted on the web site, but you can subscribe by sending a
> mail to majordomo@postgresql.org, leave the subject line blank and put
> in the body "SUBSCRIBE pgsql-fr-generale".

Sorry, I didn't see you already replied  : /

--
Guillaume <!-- http://absfr.tuxfamily.org/ -->.

Dennis Gearon
Дата:
I think that's how ALL the different language lists should be done.

I think it would be to the benefit of translation software people to 'advertise' with a small trailer on translations.

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 19 Aug 2003 at 10:01, Francois Suter wrote:
>

>>To all French speakers on the list,
>>
>>I am pleased to announce the start of a PostgreSQL general mailing list
>>in French. Its name is pgsql-fr-generale. I hope many of you will join
>>it so that we can make it an interesting place.
>>
>>Ever since Justin "promoted" me to French advocacy contact I received
>>several requests for information from people who were obviously quite
>>ill at ease with English. I suppose this list could be a boon to
>>advocacy of PostgreSQL in French-speaking countries
>

> Well, the idea of mailing list is to exchange information and help each other.
> Obviously if few great things happen on some mailing list and others don't come
> to know it, defeats the purpose of having a mailing list.
>
> As an experiment can we have a translation gateway so that these two lists, in
> general and french-general can interact? I mean the idea should be to help
> people getting communicate better rather than having a separate list as such.
>
> Just a thought..
>
> Bye
>  Shridhar
>
> --
> Year, n.:    A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.        -- Ambrose
> Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Re: Mailing list in French

От
Dennis Gearon
I just emailed:
---------------

    http://www.smartlinkcorp.com/

Who power the following site (at least):

    http://translation2.paralink.com/

the following:
----------------

You have submitted the following information to Smart link corp:

Name:     Dennis Gearon
E-Mail:     gearond@fireserve.net
Subject:     language gateways as advertisement
Phone:     541-885-1563

Question:     I would like to propose that your company provide software for 'language gateways' for open source
mailinglists. This would be excellent exposure to professionals who would at some point be integrating translation
softwareinto applications and websites. The mailing list websites would have to provide all other hardware and
software.I would suggest that an icon/link be placed on the sites and a small trailer be placed in each translated
emailas advertisement for your products.

Your request is accepted. Thank you.

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 19 Aug 2003 at 15:04, Francois Suter wrote:
>
>>>As an experiment can we have a translation gateway so that these two
>>>lists, in
>>>general and french-general can interact? I mean the idea should be to
>>>help
>>>people getting communicate better rather than having a separate list
>>>as such.
>>
>>That would be nice, but how could we go about that?
>

> I don't know how to translate emails as such but I think we could hack in few
> things to translate archives..
>
> Well, let's say we start tracking list archives in english and periodically
> getting them translated using altavista and storing the resulted copies. I
> don't know if altavista would allow to do that etc.
>
> I tried searching for language translation tools but I have nothing concrete as
> yet..
>
> Bye
>  Shridhar
>
> --
> Issawi's Laws of Progress:    The Course of Progress:        Most things get steadily
> worse.    The Path of Progress:        A shortcut is the longest distance between two
> points.

Re: Mailing list in French

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:23:28AM -0700, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> I just emailed:
> ---------------
>
>     http://www.smartlinkcorp.com/
>
> Who power the following site (at least):
>
>     http://translation2.paralink.com/

It's nice to have, but I doubt it will be of any help in the long run.
I did some tests and the english generated is worse than mine :-)... but
the biggest problem is that it tries to translate the sample SQL
statements (from spanish to english!), and the result is really weird.
Looks like it first attempts to correct the spelling, and when running
a spanish speller over english text the results can be very hilarating
:-D  Translating that gives meaningless text anyway.

Altavista's Babelfish has the same problems...

"Hay que recordar que la existencia en el cosmos, y particularmente la
elaboración de civilizaciones dentro de él no son, por desgracia,
nada idílicas" (Ijon Tichy)

"Ian Harding"
Дата:
My favorite is "poststoneware" (postgres from Spanish to English on Babelfish)

>>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl> 08/19/03 01:24PM >>>
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:23:28AM -0700, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> I just emailed:
> ---------------
>
>     http://www.smartlinkcorp.com/
>
> Who power the following site (at least):
>
>     http://translation2.paralink.com/

It's nice to have, but I doubt it will be of any help in the long run.
I did some tests and the english generated is worse than mine :-)... but
the biggest problem is that it tries to translate the sample SQL
statements (from spanish to english!), and the result is really weird.
Looks like it first attempts to correct the spelling, and when running
a spanish speller over english text the results can be very hilarating
:-D  Translating that gives meaningless text anyway.

Altavista's Babelfish has the same problems...

"Hay que recordar que la existencia en el cosmos, y particularmente la
elaboración de civilizaciones dentro de él no son, por desgracia,
nada idílicas" (Ijon Tichy)

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Mailing list in French

Дата:
> the biggest problem is that it tries to translate the sample SQL
> statements (from spanish to english!), and the result is really weird.

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right --- it's hard to believe
that a babelfish-grade translator could avoid falling into that trap.
Translation in the other direction would be as bad or worse too.
You certainly couldn't discuss the fine points of SQL syntax that way
:-)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Mailing list in French

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
It'd be nice if there was a:

    <no_translate>SQL</no_translate>

possiblity.

Ian Harding wrote:

> My favorite is "poststoneware" (postgres from Spanish to English on Babelfish)

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:23:28AM -0700, Dennis Gearon wrote:
>
>>I just emailed:
>>---------------
>>
>>    http://www.smartlinkcorp.com/
>>
>>Who power the following site (at least):
>>----------------------------------------
>>
>>    http://translation2.paralink.com/
>

> It's nice to have, but I doubt it will be of any help in the long run.
> I did some tests and the english generated is worse than mine :-)... but
> the biggest problem is that it tries to translate the sample SQL
> statements (from spanish to english!), and the result is really weird.
> Looks like it first attempts to correct the spelling, and when running
> a spanish speller over english text the results can be very hilarating
> :-D  Translating that gives meaningless text anyway.
>
> Altavista's Babelfish has the same problems...

Re: Mailing list in French

От
Jean-Luc Lachance
Дата:
Why not simply create a new list called pgsql-french for all french
posting?
I thing french speaking people would be happy with that for now.

JLL

Re: Mailing list in French

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Jean-Luc Lachance wrote:

> Why not simply create a new list called pgsql-french for all french
> posting?
> I thing french speaking people would be happy with that for now.

Ummmm ... pgsql-fr-generale is that list :)

Re: Mailing list in French

От
Jean-Luc Lachance
Дата:
I did not know it existed. I will subscrib to it.

JLL

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Jean-Luc Lachance wrote:
>

> > Why not simply create a new list called pgsql-french for all french
> > posting?
> > I thing french speaking people would be happy with that for now.
>
> Ummmm ... pgsql-fr-generale is that list :)

Re: Mailing list in French

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Jean-Luc Lachance wrote:

> I did not know it existed. I will subscrib to it.

*grin*  announcement of that list is what started this whole thread

> JLL
>

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Jean-Luc Lachance wrote:
> >

> > > Why not simply create a new list called pgsql-french for all french
> > > posting?
> > > I thing french speaking people would be happy with that for now.
> >
> > Ummmm ... pgsql-fr-generale is that list :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Mailing list in French

От
Francois Suter
Дата:
> Well, the idea of mailing list is to exchange information and help
> each other.
> Obviously if few great things happen on some mailing list and others
> don't come
> to know it, defeats the purpose of having a mailing list.

I agree. This is one of my worries. If nothing happens on the French
list, it will be an empty shell. Then again, there seems to be a demand
for something not in English. So here goes and let's just hope it will
work out.

> As an experiment can we have a translation gateway so that these two
> lists, in
> general and french-general can interact? I mean the idea should be to
> help
> people getting communicate better rather than having a separate list
> as such.

That would be nice, but how could we go about that?

Cheers

Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco