Обсуждение: char o varchar

char o varchar

От
"Edwin Quijada"

Hoii!!

I am creating my struct and I have the question :
What I must use for character fields char or varchar?
Which are the differences? and the better
TIA

*-------------------------------------------------------*
*-Edwin Quijada
*-Developer DataBase
*-JQ Microsistemas
*-809-747-2787
* " Si deseas lograr cosas excepcionales debes de hacer cosas fuera de lo
comun"
*-------------------------------------------------------*

http://messenger.yupimsn.com/

Re: char o varchar

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Edwin Quijada wrote:

> Hoii!!
>
> I am creating my struct and I have the question :
> What I must use for character fields char or varchar?
> Which are the differences? and the better

Generally speaking, varchar or text() types are preferred.  char() types
are padded.  I.e. if you create a table with char(8) and insert 'abc' then
select it, you'll get 'abc     ' back, i.e. abc followed by padding spaces
to make it 8 wide.

Most of the time this is not what the user wants.

Re: char o varchar

От
Andreas Fromm
Дата:
As of my knowlege, varchar as the choice when you have varying lenght
strings, because only the real string lenght is stored in the db, while
char is usefull when most of your records ar exactly the stringlenght
defined by the column, because no overhead is to be kept for storing the
actual stringlenght.

Regards

--
Andreas Fromm

-----------------------------
Drink wet cement...
           ... and get stoned

Re: char o varchar

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:11:54AM +0200, Andreas Fromm wrote:
> As of my knowlege, varchar as the choice when you have varying lenght
> strings, because only the real string lenght is stored in the db, while
> char is usefull when most of your records ar exactly the stringlenght
> defined by the column, because no overhead is to be kept for storing the
> actual stringlenght.

No, the overhead is present for char(n) as well, because it stores the
length in _bytes_ while the "n" is the length in characters; they could
be different.

One man's impedance mismatch is another man's layer of abstraction.
(Lincoln Yeoh)