Обсуждение: book on advanced postgresql?

book on advanced postgresql?

От
"John Wells"
Дата:
Are there any books out there that are fairly current, but go into the
more advanced aspects of Postgresql, such as internals and advanced
programming?  I'd rather avoid the whole intro to SQL with a few extra
chapters on Postgresql if I could help it.

Thanks,

John

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

Дата:
"John Wells" <jb@sourceillustrated.com> writes:
> Are there any books out there that are fairly current, but go into the
> more advanced aspects of Postgresql, such as internals and advanced
> programming?  I'd rather avoid the whole intro to SQL with a few extra
> chapters on Postgresql if I could help it.

I'm not aware of any that are tilted towards advanced stuff.  Erm, have
you tried just reading the documentation :-) ?  I realize it's not
always easy to find what you need, but we could use suggestions about
how to make it better ...
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/index.html

            regards, tom lane

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

От
"John Wells"
Дата:
Tom,

I'd love to, but I can't read at a terminal for longer than an hour or so.
 I really prefer the dead tree version.

Does anyone provide printed copies of the documentation for a fee?  I know
some companies do this for other apps...

Thanks,

John

Tom Lane said:
> "John Wells" <jb@sourceillustrated.com> writes:
>> Are there any books out there that are fairly current, but go into the
>> more advanced aspects of Postgresql, such as internals and advanced
>> programming?  I'd rather avoid the whole intro to SQL with a few extra
>> chapters on Postgresql if I could help it.
>
> I'm not aware of any that are tilted towards advanced stuff.  Erm, have
> you tried just reading the documentation :-) ?  I realize it's not
> always easy to find what you need, but we could use suggestions about
> how to make it better ...
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/index.html
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
John Wells wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I'd love to, but I can't read at a terminal for longer than an hour or so.
>  I really prefer the dead tree version.

You can get the tarball of HTMLs out of a build and view it in lynx or something
like that if you prefer. They are very simple HTMLs.

I agree that when eyes are tired of looking at a CRT, printed copy works much
better.

  Shridhar

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:08:43 -0400,
  John Wells <jb@sourceillustrated.com> wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I'd love to, but I can't read at a terminal for longer than an hour or so.
>  I really prefer the dead tree version.
>
> Does anyone provide printed copies of the documentation for a fee?  I know
> some companies do this for other apps...

You should be able to print the documentation on a printer. The released
versions come with postscript and/or pdf versions of the documentation.
The beta versions don't and it is a pain to generate the above. However,
if you just want 7.3 documentation, that should be available.
I think the 7.4 documentation is better, because it is all in one book
and some redundant information is eliminated. However, I don't know of
any postscript or pdf versions of the documentation that are available for
download.

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

Дата:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:08:43 -0400,
>   John Wells <jb@sourceillustrated.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone provide printed copies of the documentation for a fee?  I know
>> some companies do this for other apps...

> You should be able to print the documentation on a printer. The released
> versions come with postscript and/or pdf versions of the documentation.
> The beta versions don't and it is a pain to generate the above.

In theory you can build the postscript versions for yourself, per the
procedure here:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/docguide-build.html
after you've installed all the tools listed on the preceding page.

Building the HTML version is pretty simple, but it does look like
making a nice printed version is tedious ... which, no doubt, is
why no one does it for beta releases.

If you are happy with reading docs for back releases, Prime Time
Freeware has PDF and hardcopy versions I believe:
http://www.ptf.com/

            regards, tom lane

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

От
Holger Marzen
Дата:
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, John Wells wrote:

> Are there any books out there that are fairly current, but go into the
> more advanced aspects of Postgresql, such as internals and advanced
> programming?  I'd rather avoid the whole intro to SQL with a few extra
> chapters on Postgresql if I could help it.

I have the book "PostgreSQL Introduction and Concepts" by Bruce Momjian.
For advanced SQL I have ordered Joe Celko's "SQL for Smarties" because
it was recommended by some people.

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

От
Network Administrator
Дата:
John,

I usually just grab the PDF's, convert them to PS files and then add the code to
duplex and print to a tray with 3 hole paper.  :)

All in all I don't think that is too expensive but I can't really say I've had
to pay to do that recently.

Quoting John Wells <jb@sourceillustrated.com>:

> Tom,
>
> I'd love to, but I can't read at a terminal for longer than an hour or so.
>  I really prefer the dead tree version.
>
> Does anyone provide printed copies of the documentation for a fee?  I know
> some companies do this for other apps...
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> Tom Lane said:
> > "John Wells" <jb@sourceillustrated.com> writes:
> >> Are there any books out there that are fairly current, but go into the
> >> more advanced aspects of Postgresql, such as internals and advanced
> >> programming?  I'd rather avoid the whole intro to SQL with a few extra
> >> chapters on Postgresql if I could help it.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any that are tilted towards advanced stuff.  Erm, have
> > you tried just reading the documentation :-) ?  I realize it's not
> > always easy to find what you need, but we could use suggestions about
> > how to make it better ...
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/index.html
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

> >                http://archives.postgresql.org

Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com

____________________________________
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

От
Gene Vital
Дата:
I have it and it is an excellent book!
It has, on occasion, made my brain hurt though :)

Holger Marzen wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, John Wells wrote:
>

>>Are there any books out there that are fairly current, but go into the
>>more advanced aspects of Postgresql, such as internals and advanced
>>programming?  I'd rather avoid the whole intro to SQL with a few extra
>>chapters on Postgresql if I could help it.
>

> I have the book "PostgreSQL Introduction and Concepts" by Bruce Momjian.
> For advanced SQL I have ordered Joe Celko's "SQL for Smarties" because
> it was recommended by some people.

--
Eugene Vital
Any technology indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> Building the HTML version is pretty simple, but it does look like
> making a nice printed version is tedious ... which, no doubt, is
> why no one does it for beta releases.

For printable versions, the size and complexity of the PostgreSQL
documentation breaks every tool known to me.  That is the reason why
printable version are so hard to find.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: book on advanced postgresql?

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Quoth holger@marzen.de (Holger Marzen):
> For advanced SQL I have ordered Joe Celko's "SQL for Smarties" because
> it was recommended by some people.

I keep it around; it is quite interesting.  It is NOT
PostgreSQL-specific at all; Celko is fairly negative about the notion
of being DBMS-specific in general.

He is preparing a book on Sets and Trees, essentially expanding on
chapters 27 and 28, which should be quite interesting.  SQL doesn't
usually "play very well" with tree structures, so that certainly
warrants an expansion of the literature.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html