Обсуждение: when I create a table, postgresql creates a new type

when I create a table, postgresql creates a new type

От
"Julio Misael Gutierrez"
Дата:
Good day,
I�m testing PostGresql,
I would like to Know why when I create a new table,
postgresql create a new type with the same name of the table.
Where I can find more information about this?.

Re: when I create a table, postgresql creates a new type

Дата:
"Julio Misael Gutierrez" <jmisaelg@amnetsal.com> writes:
> I would like to Know why when I create a new table,
> postgresql create a new type with the same name of the table.

Because there is a row type (composite type) associated with every
table.

            regards, tom lane

Re: when I create a table, postgresql creates a new type

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Julio Misael Gutierrez wrote:

> Good day,
> I´m testing PostGresql,
> I would like to Know why when I create a new table,
> postgresql create a new type with the same name of the table.
> Where I can find more information about this?.

To add to what Tom said, this allows you to create functions that return a
set of 'newtable_type'  where newtable_type is the newtable you've
created.  I.e. you can have a function return rows just like the table you
created.  nifty, huh?