Обсуждение: SERIAL type - auto-increment grouped by other field

SERIAL type - auto-increment grouped by other field

От
Paulovič Michal
Дата:
hi all,

I have problem with SERIAL field type (or sequence functionality).
I have table with three columns - ID, IDS, NAME.
I want auto-increment IDS grouped by ID.
Example:
1, 1, Ferdo
1, 2, John
2, 1, Martin
1, 3, Elvira
2, 2, Georgia

but...
when I use IDS - SERIAL and when I create UNIQUE (ID, IDS) result is:
1, 1, Ferdo
1, 2, John
2, 3, Martin
1, 4, Elvira
2, 5, Georgia

where i make misstake??? how can i do it??? in documentation there is
description only for one auto-increment column. I didn't find auto increment as
I described upper. Do you have any idea how can I do it???

tnx a lot

________ Information from NOD32 ________
http://www.nod32.com

Re: SERIAL type - auto-increment grouped by other field

От
Shachar Shemesh
Дата:
Paulovič Michal wrote:

>hi all,
>
>I have problem with SERIAL field type (or sequence functionality).
>I have table with three columns - ID, IDS, NAME.
>I want auto-increment IDS grouped by ID.
>Example:
>1, 1, Ferdo
>1, 2, John
>2, 1, Martin
>1, 3, Elvira
>2, 2, Georgia
>
>but...
>when I use IDS - SERIAL and when I create UNIQUE (ID, IDS) result is:
>1, 1, Ferdo
>1, 2, John
>2, 3, Martin
>1, 4, Elvira
>2, 5, Georgia
>
>where i make misstake??? how can i do it??? in documentation there is
>description only for one auto-increment column. I didn't find auto increment as
>I described upper. Do you have any idea how can I do it???
>
>tnx a lot

A sequence (which is what a serial is) does not promise you consecutive
numbers. For example - try out the following:
begin a transaction
insert a new row to your table
rollback the transaction

Now add a new row. You will see that the new row did not get the number
that was assigned inside the transaction. All a sequence promises you is
uniqueness (within the 2^32 limit), and that promise is kept for your
example as well.

I can think of something that may help you out here, but you will have
to tell in advance how many groups you will need (how many IDs). Just
create that many sequences and put the id into the sequence name. Then
put in a default value based on that.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting

Re: SERIAL type - auto-increment grouped by other field

От
elein
Дата:
One possible implementation of a two level numbering outline
will be published in PostgreSQL GeneralBits Issue #64 due
out Monday morning, 3/1.  http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

elein
elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com
                         1-866-VARLENA
          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
Its a doggy dog world out there.

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 02:44:01AM +0100, Paulovi? Michal wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I have problem with SERIAL field type (or sequence functionality).
> I have table with three columns - ID, IDS, NAME.
> I want auto-increment IDS grouped by ID.
> Example:
> 1, 1, Ferdo
> 1, 2, John
> 2, 1, Martin
> 1, 3, Elvira
> 2, 2, Georgia
>
> but...
> when I use IDS - SERIAL and when I create UNIQUE (ID, IDS) result is:
> 1, 1, Ferdo
> 1, 2, John
> 2, 3, Martin
> 1, 4, Elvira
> 2, 5, Georgia
>
> where i make misstake??? how can i do it??? in documentation there is
> description only for one auto-increment column. I didn't find auto increment as
> I described upper. Do you have any idea how can I do it???
>
> tnx a lot
>

> ________ Information from NOD32 ________
> This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Server.
> http://www.nod32.com

Re: SERIAL type - auto-increment grouped by other field

От
Paulovič Michal
Дата:
tnx a lot,

but i am using PostgreSQL 7.1.2 and your script result errors:
-------
ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.
        Recognized languages are sql, C, internal, and created procedural languages.
-------

elein wrote:

>One possible implementation of a two level numbering outline
>will be published in PostgreSQL GeneralBits Issue #64 due
>out Monday morning, 3/1.  http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
>
>elein
>elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com
>                         1-866-VARLENA
>          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training
>
>PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
>Its a doggy dog world out there.
>

>On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 02:44:01AM +0100, Paulovi? Michal wrote:
>

>>hi all,
>>
>>I have problem with SERIAL field type (or sequence functionality).
>>I have table with three columns - ID, IDS, NAME.
>>I want auto-increment IDS grouped by ID.
>>Example:
>>1, 1, Ferdo
>>1, 2, John
>>2, 1, Martin
>>1, 3, Elvira
>>2, 2, Georgia
>>
>>but...
>>when I use IDS - SERIAL and when I create UNIQUE (ID, IDS) result is:
>>1, 1, Ferdo
>>1, 2, John
>>2, 3, Martin
>>1, 4, Elvira
>>2, 5, Georgia
>>
>>where i make misstake??? how can i do it??? in documentation there is
>>description only for one auto-increment column. I didn't find auto increment as
>>I described upper. Do you have any idea how can I do it???
>>
>>tnx a lot
>>

>>________ Information from NOD32 ________
>>This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Server.
>>http://www.nod32.com

>>TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
>>

>________ Information from NOD32 ________
>This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Server.
>http://www.nod32.com

Re: SERIAL type - auto-increment grouped by other field

От
elein
Дата:
 You just need to define 'plpgsql' as a language in
 your database.  At the shell, to define the language use:

     createlang  'plpgsql' <dbname>;

 After you do the createlang, you can write functions
 using plpgsql.

 Let me know if you are still having trouble.

--elein

> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:52:33PM +0100, Paulovi?? Michal wrote:
> > tnx a lot,
> >
> > but i am using PostgreSQL 7.1.2 and your script result errors:
> > -------
> > ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.
> >        Recognized languages are sql, C, internal, and created procedural languages.
> > -------
> >
> > elein wrote:
> >
> > >One possible implementation of a two level numbering outline
> > >will be published in PostgreSQL GeneralBits Issue #64 due
> > >out Monday morning, 3/1.  http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
> > >
> > >elein
> > >============================================================
> > >elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com
> > >                        1-866-VARLENA
> > >         PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training
> > >
> > >PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
> > >=============================================================
> > >Its a doggy dog world out there.

> > >________ Information from NOD32 ________
> > >This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Server.
> > >http://www.nod32.com

Re: SERIAL type - auto-increment grouped by other field

От
Paulovič Michal
Дата:
:((

sorry
At server ther is istalled pgsql 7.1.2 but creatlang works from 7.2.X
and upper version :(

do you have any other ideas??