Обсуждение: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration

7.2.3-7.4.2 migration

От
Christophe Musielak
Дата:
Hello,

First let me introduce myself as i'm posting for the first time.

I'm a project manager working for a french e-crm company, that is dealing with packaged email managing solutions, both inbound and outbound.

Our technical solutions relies on perl, c++, corba, apache and Postgres 7.2.3.

We were waiting for 7.4.2 to upgrade.  As it is out now, i have some questions to ask.

The point is that we must upgrade our clients database, with loads of data in.

First, is it possible to upgrade directly from 7.2.3 --> 7.4.2 : ie dump the 7.2.3 datas, upgrade to 7.4.2, then restore the 7.2.3 datas?

or shall we do 7.3 upgrade, restore datas, dump, then 7.4 db upgrade, restore datas?

I would then appreciate if anyone can report a similar experience, problems faced and so on..

Thanks a lot by advance

Christophe Musielak

Re: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Thursday 01 April 2004 12:12, Christophe Musielak wrote:

> I'm a project manager working for a french e-crm company, that is
> dealing with packaged email managing solutions, both inbound and
> outbound.

Hello Cristophe

> First, is it possible to upgrade directly from 7.2.3 --> 7.4.2 : ie dump
> the 7.2.3 datas, upgrade to 7.4.2, then restore the 7.2.3 datas?
> or shall we do 7.3 upgrade, restore datas, dump, then 7.4 db upgrade,
> restore datas?

I don't think you'd gain anything by doing the upgrade in two steps. The main
thing you'll notice is the introduction of schemas. Check for the use of
'now' as a default value too. Probably worth spending an hour or two
reviewing the release notes in the manual to look for changes.

> I would then appreciate if anyone can report a similar experience,
> problems faced and so on..

I tend to do a schema-only followed by a data-only restore. The main problems
I have are to do with dependencies between objects (function F relies on
table T existing). I use the -l/-L flags on pg_restore to let me manually
reorder the few items with problems.

Once the schema is transferred, I restore the data using the
--use-set-session-authorization and --disable-triggers flags.

Where possible, I try to script any changes I have to make - especially
worthwhile in your case I'd have thought.

HTH
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 01:01:21PM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> On Thursday 01 April 2004 12:12, Christophe Musielak wrote:

> > I would then appreciate if anyone can report a similar experience,
> > problems faced and so on..
>
> I tend to do a schema-only followed by a data-only restore. The main problems
> I have are to do with dependencies between objects (function F relies on
> table T existing). I use the -l/-L flags on pg_restore to let me manually
> reorder the few items with problems.

CVS tip's pg_dump orders objects more appropiately than before  - AFAIU
the dump is always correct.  If you have this kind of problem, the new
code could save you some work.  If you use it, make sure you use the
"-X disable-dollar-quoting" switch too, because otherwise the dump won't
be loadable on released versions.

"I suspect most samba developers are already technically insane...
Of course, since many of them are Australians, you can't tell." (L. Torvalds)

Re: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration

Дата:
> On Thursday 01 April 2004 12:12, Christophe Musielak wrote:
>> First, is it possible to upgrade directly from 7.2.3 --> 7.4.2 : ie dump
>> the 7.2.3 datas, upgrade to 7.4.2, then restore the 7.2.3 datas?
>> or shall we do 7.3 upgrade, restore datas, dump, then 7.4 db upgrade,
>> restore datas?

> I don't think you'd gain anything by doing the upgrade in two steps.

I agree; that just doubles the work.  One note: you'd be well advised to
execute the dump using 7.4's pg_dump rather than 7.2's.  Later pg_dumps
often fix problems in earlier ones.

> I tend to do a schema-only followed by a data-only restore.

That will slow things down a bit because indexes and foreign keys will
be built/checked incrementally rather than in one go.  What I definitely
*would* recommend is trying a schema-only dump first to check for
problems.  If that loads, drop it again and go for a full dump.  If not,
you can work out a solution without pushing so much data around ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration

От
Christophe Musielak