Обсуждение: pg_dump and schema namespace notes

pg_dump and schema namespace notes

От
Rory Campbell-Lange
Дата:
I think this is a suggestion/comment!

pg_dump man page:

      --schema-only
              Dump only the schema (data definitions), no data

I think this use of the word schema is confusing, meaning data
definitions, whereas elsewhere in the man page schema are used as a
namespace definition.

       --schema=schema
              Dump the contents of schema only. If this option is  not
              speci- fied,  all  non-system  schemas  in  the target
              database will be dumped

It would be nice if this could be a comman separated list (like set
search_path; A,info,public etc).

Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<rory@campbell-lange.net>

Re: pg_dump and schema namespace notes

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Any comments on this?  It seems like a valid confusion.  What solutions
are there?

Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> I think this is a suggestion/comment!
>
> pg_dump man page:
>
>       --schema-only
>               Dump only the schema (data definitions), no data
>
> I think this use of the word schema is confusing, meaning data
> definitions, whereas elsewhere in the man page schema are used as a
> namespace definition.
>
>        --schema=schema
>               Dump the contents of schema only. If this option is  not
>               speci- fied,  all  non-system  schemas  in  the target
>               database will be dumped
>
> It would be nice if this could be a comman separated list (like set
> search_path; A,info,public etc).
>
> Rory
> --
> Rory Campbell-Lange
> <rory@campbell-lange.net>
> <www.campbell-lange.net>

Re: pg_dump and schema namespace notes

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Any comments on this?  It seems like a valid confusion.  What solutions
are there?
A common interchangeable title for schema is namespace and in actuality we use \dn in psql (\dnamespace)
to list them.

Perhaps we should change the name? I believe Oracle uses the term namespace as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
I think this is a suggestion/comment!

pg_dump man page:
     --schema-only             Dump only the schema (data definitions), no data

I think this use of the word schema is confusing, meaning data
definitions, whereas elsewhere in the man page schema are used as a
namespace definition.
      --schema=schema             Dump the contents of schema only. If this option is  not             speci- fied,  all  non-system  schemas  in  the target             database will be dumped

It would be nice if this could be a comman separated list (like set
search_path; A,info,public etc).

Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<rory@campbell-lange.net>
<www.campbell-lange.net>

Re: pg_dump and schema namespace notes

Дата:
> Any comments on this?  It seems like a valid confusion.  What solutions
> are there?

I think we're stuck.  We can't avoid the fact that the SQL syntax uses
the keyword SCHEMA to mean a namespace.  We also can't avoid the very
common usage of "database schema" to mean the logical structure of your
table collection.  Trying to redefine or avoid either of these terms is
hopeless.  Maybe we could add some text in the tutorial to point out
the double meaning?

            regards, tom lane