Обсуждение: pgsql on debian

pgsql on debian

От
Jay
Дата:
Hi group,
I am trying to get pgsql working on my debian system. I installed pgsql
using apt-get. but then i cant connect to it . i am using the following
command
 psql -U jay -d jaydb

 earlier i used create su postgres 'createdb root' jaydb.
 but now i cannot access the db.
i get the follwing msgs

psql: FATAL:  database "jaydb" does not exist

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a submission on mon. plz help
jay

Re: pgsql on debian

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 00:36, Jay wrote:
> Hi group,
> I am trying to get pgsql working on my debian system. I installed pgsql
> using apt-get. but then i cant connect to it . i am using the following
> command
>  psql -U jay -d jaydb
>
>  earlier i used create su postgres 'createdb root' jaydb.

Sounds as if you created a database called 'root'.

>  but now i cannot access the db.
> i get the follwing msgs
>
> psql: FATAL:  database "jaydb" does not exist

Use "psql -l" to list existing databases.

     "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with
      God through our Lord Jesus Christ."       Romans 5:1

Re: pgsql on debian

От
Jay
Дата:
hi oliver
i tried the following command but nothing seems to work
psql -U root -d root
psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "root"

 any suggestions
thanks
jay

Oliver Elphick wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 00:36, Jay wrote:
>

>>Hi group,
>>I am trying to get pgsql working on my debian system. I installed pgsql
>>using apt-get. but then i cant connect to it . i am using the following
>>command
>> psql -U jay -d jaydb
>>
>> earlier i used create su postgres 'createdb root' jaydb.
>>

>Sounds as if you created a database called 'root'.
>

>> but now i cannot access the db.
>>i get the follwing msgs
>>
>>psql: FATAL:  database "jaydb" does not exist
>>

>Use "psql -l" to list existing databases.

Re: pgsql on debian

От
daniel
Дата:
1)from root su postgres
2)createuser the username
3)exit
4)su the user
5)createdb
psql the database

Jay wrote:

> hi oliver
> i tried the following command but nothing seems to work
> psql -U root -d root
> psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "root"
>
> any suggestions
> thanks
> jay
>
> Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 00:36, Jay wrote:
>>

>>> Hi group,
>>> I am trying to get pgsql working on my debian system. I installed
>>> pgsql using apt-get. but then i cant connect to it . i am using the
>>> following command
>>> psql -U jay -d jaydb
>>>
>>> earlier i used create su postgres 'createdb root' jaydb.
>>>

>> Sounds as if you created a database called 'root'.
>>

>>> but now i cannot access the db.
>>> i get the follwing msgs
>>>
>>> psql: FATAL:  database "jaydb" does not exist
>>>

>> Use "psql -l" to list existing databases.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: pgsql on debian

Дата:
Jay <jspothar@cs.uccs.edu> writes:
> i tried the following command but nothing seems to work
> psql -U root -d root
> psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "root"

You basically cannot use the -U switch when using IDENT authorization;
that auth mode requires that your presented Postgres username be the
same as the Unix name you're logged in under.  (If you don't like
this then change to a different auth mode; see pg_hba.conf.)

In any case, root is unlikely to be the name of the postgres superuser.
When you probably want to do is "su" to become postgres and then psql
without using -U.

            regards, tom lane