Обсуждение: system catalog and varchar datatype

system catalog and varchar datatype

От
"sandra ruiz"
Дата:
hi, I need to find out the length of a varchar attribute ..

for example,if a I have an atribute "description varchar(256)"  I would
expect to see this "256" in the pg_attribute table.

there's is an "attlen" In the pg_attribute but this doesn't give any
information

thanks in advance.

MSN Amor: busca tu ½ naranja http://latam.msn.com/amor/

Re: system catalog and varchar datatype

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 21:58, sandra ruiz wrote:
> hi, I need to find out the length of a varchar attribute ..
>
> for example,if a I have an atribute "description varchar(256)"  I would
> expect to see this "256" in the pg_attribute table.
>
> there's is an "attlen" In the pg_attribute but this doesn't give any
> information

SELECT pg_catalog.format_type(a.atttypid, a.atttypmod)
  FROM pg_attribute AS a;

would return "character varying(10)" or similar.

     "Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and
      whose hope the LORD is."            Jeremiah 17:7

Re: system catalog and varchar datatype

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, sandra ruiz wrote:

> hi, I need to find out the length of a varchar attribute ..
>
> for example,if a I have an atribute "description varchar(256)"  I would
> expect to see this "256" in the pg_attribute table.
>
> there's is an "attlen" In the pg_attribute but this doesn't give any
> information

Atttypmod gives this information, but the value is datatype specific.

For varchar (and char) at least, the atttypmod is 4 greater than the
maximum length, so atttypmod for the above would be 260.

Re: system catalog and varchar datatype

От
Tony Li

For my purposes, I was happier to get the output of format_type() and
parse it.  This meant that I didn't have to carry around some magic
constant that wasn't part of the documented interface...

Tony