Обсуждение: Updateable Views?

Updateable Views?

От
CSN
Дата:
Just wondering, is updateable views slated for a
future version of Postgresql? In addition to using
rules that is.

CSN

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: Updateable Views?

От
Bruce Momjian
CSN wrote:

> Just wondering, is updateable views slated for a
> future version of Postgresql? In addition to using
> rules that is.

Yes, I think some folks are working on it for the next release.

Re: Updateable Views?

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:05, CSN wrote:
> Just wondering, is updateable views slated for a
> future version of Postgresql? In addition to using
> rules that is.

It's on the todo list.  Of course, the just means someone someday should
do it, but it's not on anybody's personal todo list that I know of.

I would think that a basic fleshing out of the logic with some kind of
stored proc to make the views and triggers would likely get someone
started on the backend work.  You know, a proof of concept thingy.

Re: Updateable Views?

От
Bernd Helmle
Дата:
--On Dienstag, August 03, 2004 20:51:45 -0600 Scott Marlowe
<smarlowe@qwest.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:05, CSN wrote:
>> Just wondering, is updateable views slated for a
>> future version of Postgresql? In addition to using
>> rules that is.
>
> It's on the todo list.  Of course, the just means someone someday should
> do it, but it's not on anybody's personal todo list that I know of.

No, its on mine :)

> I would think that a basic fleshing out of the logic with some kind of
> stored proc to make the views and triggers would likely get someone
> started on the backend work.  You know, a proof of concept thingy.

That's exactly what i'm working on. Currently I have a stored procedure
pg_create_view_updrule() that takes the OID of the view _RETURN rule and
forms
an INSERT rule from it (DELETE/UPDATE are not yet implemented). To get down
the query trees is a bit complex, but it seems to work right now, although
there's many i have to do in the next days.....i will post as soon as I
have a working proof-of-concept. Please note that i'm heading for
SQL92-compliance, SQL99 seems a todo for the next-generation.

  Bernd