Обсуждение: postgres in freebsd jail

postgres in freebsd jail

От
Vikram
Дата:
Hi,

I am using postgresql 8.0beta in a freebsd jail environment. My inittdb
gives me a message like:
---
creating template1 database in /home/..../db/base/1 ... FATAL:  could
not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1187840, 03600).
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: failed
---

I searched the archives and saw discussions regarding this but could not
find any definitive answer in them. Is this problem still current?

Thanks,
            Vikram

Re: postgres in freebsd jail

От
"Reko Turja"
Дата:
> I am using postgresql 8.0beta in a freebsd jail environment. My
> inittdb
> gives me a message like:
> ---
> creating template1 database in /home/..../db/base/1 ... FATAL:
> could
> not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1187840, 03600).
> child process exited with exit code 1
> initdb: failed

Have you enabled jail.sysvipc_allowed sysctl for kernel? I haven't run
Postgresql in jail myself but as far as I know the sysctl above is
needed in order to use sysv IPC and shared memory functionality inside
the jail.

-Reko

Re: postgres in freebsd jail

От
Bill Moran
Дата:
"Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net> wrote:

> > I am using postgresql 8.0beta in a freebsd jail environment. My
> > inittdb
> > gives me a message like:
> > ---
> > creating template1 database in /home/..../db/base/1 ... FATAL:
> > could
> > not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
> > DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1187840, 03600).
> > child process exited with exit code 1
> > initdb: failed
>
> Have you enabled jail.sysvipc_allowed sysctl for kernel? I haven't run
> Postgresql in jail myself but as far as I know the sysctl above is
> needed in order to use sysv IPC and shared memory functionality inside
> the jail.

I was unable to get Postgres working in a jail even with this sysctl
enabled.  If you look through the archives, you'll see a discussion with
others who have it working just fine.

The upshot is that, personally, I don't know.  I have not yet had time to
track down the problem.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: postgres in freebsd jail

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Bill Moran wrote:

> "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net> wrote:
>
>>> I am using postgresql 8.0beta in a freebsd jail environment. My
>>> inittdb
>>> gives me a message like:
>>> ---
>>> creating template1 database in /home/..../db/base/1 ... FATAL:
>>> could
>>> not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
>>> DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1187840, 03600).
>>> child process exited with exit code 1
>>> initdb: failed
>>
>> Have you enabled jail.sysvipc_allowed sysctl for kernel? I haven't run
>> Postgresql in jail myself but as far as I know the sysctl above is
>> needed in order to use sysv IPC and shared memory functionality inside
>> the jail.
>
> I was unable to get Postgres working in a jail even with this sysctl
> enabled.  If you look through the archives, you'll see a discussion with
> others who have it working just fine.

The database that runs pgfoundry.org/gborg.postgresql.org and
www.postgresql.org are in a jail ... so definitely know it works ... as to
the above error, my first thing to check would be as Reko mentioned, check
that ipc within jail is allowed ...

----

Re: postgres in freebsd jail

От
Vikram
Дата:
> > creating template1 database in /home/..../db/base/1 ... FATAL:
> > could
> > not create shared memory segment: Function not implemented
> > DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=1, size=1187840, 03600).
> > child process exited with exit code 1
> > initdb: failed
>
> Have you enabled jail.sysvipc_allowed sysctl for kernel? I haven't run
> Postgresql in jail myself but as far as I know the sysctl above is
> needed in order to use sysv IPC and shared memory functionality inside
> the jail.
>
> -Reko

Yes, It worked on setting sysvipc_allowed to 1. Thanks,

            Vikram

Re: postgres in freebsd jail

От
"Reko Turja"