Обсуждение: install problem

install problem

От
wayne schlemitz
Дата:
I am using SuSE 8.0 Professional Linux  and installing
postresql 7.4 by placing the tar files in /temp and
untar and unzip and followed the short install
procedure.
Log in as root
./ configure
gmake
gmake install
useradd
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
""same as above"" >logfile 2>&1 &

At this point I checked the last 2 lines to enter and
was told I do not have the password for the postges
sence it is not a person but a program it should not
ask for the password. Have not had sucess to call up
the program or to finish the last 2 lines.
  /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
  /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pgsql test

What can I do to finish the last 2 lines and call up
the potgres or pgsql?

http://vote.yahoo.com

Re: install problem

Дата:
wayne schlemitz <schmtzway@yahoo.com> writes:
> What can I do to finish the last 2 lines and call up
> the potgres or pgsql?

We can't help you from such a handwavy description.  Show us *exactly*
what you typed and *exactly* what messages you got (cut-and-paste from
your terminal window is good), and then we might be able to offer
better-than-guessing answers.

I'd also suggest looking in the postmaster logfile to see if there are
any informative messages there.

            regards, tom lane

Re: install problem

От
Scott Frankel
Дата:
If I understand your description of the problem sufficiently, I believe
you're
running into trouble at the "su postres" step.

Although I'm quite new to postgres, I do know that creating a user
account
named "postgres" is recommended, if not required, by the installation
process.
Entering "su postgres" on the cmd-line switches the user (su) in that
shell to
username: postgres -- it's not invoking a program, per se.  Then
logging in,
even via su, requires password authentication.

Hope this helps -
Scott

On Oct 9, 2004, at 7:29 AM, wayne schlemitz wrote:

> I am using SuSE 8.0 Professional Linux  and installing
> postresql 7.4 by placing the tar files in /temp and
> untar and unzip and followed the short install
> procedure.
> Log in as root
> ./ configure
> gmake
> gmake install
> useradd
> mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
> chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
> su postgres
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> ""same as above"" >logfile 2>&1 &
>
> At this point I checked the last 2 lines to enter and
> was told I do not have the password for the postges
> sence it is not a person but a program it should not
> ask for the password. Have not had sucess to call up
> the program or to finish the last 2 lines.
>   /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
>   /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pgsql test
>
> What can I do to finish the last 2 lines and call up
> the potgres or pgsql?

> http://vote.yahoo.com
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: install problem

От
Bernard Clement
Дата:
Dear Wayne,

Hum! you are not following exactly the instructions for a "Short Installation"
which is:
./configure
gmake
su
gmake install
adduser postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

Anyway, what did you enter after "useradd"?
That command requires at least one parameter, the new user name
which in this case should be postgres.

Once that is done, the "su postgres" will work without any password since
you are running it from root.

Regards,

Bernard