Обсуждение: Fwd: 8.0 vs. 7.4 benchmarks

Fwd: 8.0 vs. 7.4 benchmarks

От
Postgres Learner
Дата:
Hi all!
I posted this on pgsql-performance but got no reply, so here it is:
thanks!
ps

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Postgres Learner <postgres.learner@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:58:46 +0530
Subject: 8.0 vs. 7.4 benchmarks
To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org

Hi all!
Has anyone done any performance benchmarking of postgresql 7.4 vs 8.0?
Are there any scenarios where 8.0 can be expected to be faster?
I would love to get my hands on any numbers that someone might have.

Also does anyone know how long it will take for a stable release of
8.0 to come (any estimates would be good) ?
Given the loads of additional features in 8.0, I can't
wait to use it in production. :-)

thanks a lot everyone!!!
ps

Re: Fwd: 8.0 vs. 7.4 benchmarks

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 14:47:58 +0530,
  Postgres Learner <postgres.learner@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone done any performance benchmarking of postgresql 7.4 vs 8.0?
> Are there any scenarios where 8.0 can be expected to be faster?

Have you read the release notes?

> I would love to get my hands on any numbers that someone might have.
>
> Also does anyone know how long it will take for a stable release of
> 8.0 to come (any estimates would be good) ?

The last target date I saw mentioned was 2004-12-15. If a second release
candidate is needed, I don't know if that date will be met.

Re: Fwd: 8.0 vs. 7.4 benchmarks

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:43:03 -0800,
  "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> IMHO 8.0 means, hey all you external developers -- time to test
> with your applications and report bugs.
>
> 8.1 means, alright we got some wide reports -- fixed a few mistakes
> and now were ready.

That should probably be 8.0.1. That is what the next release will be named.
Typically there is a *.*.1 release not too long after the *.* release. My memory
is that this has been around 2-3 months for the last serveral *.*
releases.

8.1 will be an important release as it should include integrated autovacuum,
some tools for handling PITR recoveries and other changes related to lessons
learned from the several major feature additions in 8.0. I will be surprised
if 8.1 is released before next fall.

We did have a thread about *.* releases about a month ago and the data seemed
to suggest that the *.* releases tended to be better than the latest version
of the previous *.* release. (I think the main problem is that some fixes
were not being back ported because they are too extensive to be safely
back ported.) So with 8.0, it might be a good idea to hold off for a little
bit to see if anything major was missed during beta, but that it might be
desirable to upgrade to 8.0 without waiting for 8.0.1 if there aren't any
major problems reported within a few weeks of the release.

Re: Fwd: 8.0 vs. 7.4 benchmarks

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
>>I would love to get my hands on any numbers that someone might have.
>>
>>Also does anyone know how long it will take for a stable release of
>>8.0 to come (any estimates would be good) ?
>>

>The last target date I saw mentioned was 2004-12-15. If a second release
>candidate is needed, I don't know if that date will be met.

It should also be noted that putting any .0 release into
production right away is typically a bad idea. This is not
a reflection on PostgreSQL but a reflection on software in general.

IMHO 8.0 means, hey all you external developers -- time to test
with your applications and report bugs.

8.1 means, alright we got some wide reports -- fixed a few mistakes
and now were ready.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Re: Fwd: 8.0 vs. 7.4 benchmarks

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:43:03 -0800,
>   "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>>IMHO 8.0 means, hey all you external developers -- time to test
>>with your applications and report bugs.
>>
>>8.1 means, alright we got some wide reports -- fixed a few mistakes
>>and now were ready.
>

> That should probably be 8.0.1. That is what the next release will be named.

Your right that was my bad.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.