Обсуждение: Postgresql, SQL server and Oracle. Please, help

Postgresql, SQL server and Oracle. Please, help

От
"Nadia Kunkov"
Дата:
Hi, I was wondering where can I get documentation and especially examples on PgSQL?  I've done a lot of work with Ms
SQLserver and need to rewrite a number of stored procedures in PgSQL.  Is there a tutorial?  What is the best way to
start?
Can I read an Oracle book?  How close is Oracle to Postgresql?
Thanks

Re: Postgresql, SQL server and Oracle. Please, help

От
felix@crowfix.com
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 12:35:50PM -0500, Nadia Kunkov wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering where can I get documentation and especially examples on PgSQL?  I've done a lot of work with Ms
SQLserver and need to rewrite a number of stored procedures in PgSQL.  Is there a tutorial?  What is the best way to
start?
> Can I read an Oracle book?  How close is Oracle to Postgresql?

Not specifically what you want, but there's a book with the
imaginative name of "SQL" by Chris Fehily, Peachpit Press, ISBN
0-201-11803-0, meant as a beginner's guide, but which also includes
all the variations in SQL for PostgreSQL, Oracle, and MS SQL Server.
That is why I got it, and it is pretty handy for me, a non-guru.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Re: Postgresql, SQL server and Oracle. Please, help

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Jan 25, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Nadia Kunkov wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering where can I get documentation and especially
> examples on PgSQL?  I've done a lot of work with Ms SQL server and
> need to rewrite a number of stored procedures in PgSQL.  Is there a
> tutorial?  What is the best way to start?
> Can I read an Oracle book?  How close is Oracle to Postgresql?

Just posted moments ago for a different thread:

On Jan 23, 2005, at 10:22 PM, Duffy House wrote:

> The first issue will be getting up to speed on PL/pgsql.  Where can I
> find
> primer on PL/pgsql, with lots of examples? How silimar is PL/pgsql to
> PL/SQL
> under Oracle?

The PostgreSQL documentation is the place to start:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/plpgsql.html

The PostgreSQL distribution has a file with some examples in it:

src/test/regress/sql/plpgsql.sql

The pgEdit distribution (http://pgedit.com/download) has a fairly
extensive plpgsql example for importing and analyzing web server logs.

I'm not familiar with Oracle, but there is a porting section in the
documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/plpgsql-porting.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/