Обсуждение: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Oracle, 2005 report card

PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Oracle, 2005 report card

От
Marques Johansson
Дата:
A recent Slashdot thread on MySQL performance
(http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/11/038232&from=rss)
contains a comment mentioning the following Fermilab report from May 2003:

http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/mysql-vs-pgsql.html

With the release of PostgreSQL 8.0, how does PostgreSQL currently stand?

--
Marques Johansson
marques@displague.com

Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Oracle, 2005 report card

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Friday 11 Feb 2005 6:07 pm, Marques Johansson wrote:
> A recent Slashdot thread on MySQL performance
> (http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/11/038232&from=rss)
> contains a comment mentioning the following Fermilab report from May 2003:
>
> http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/mysql-vs-pgsql.html
>
> With the release of PostgreSQL 8.0, how does PostgreSQL currently stand?

That seems to be fairly old and hence out-of-sync. Things have move a lot
since, for all the products involved.

But still I find it rather harsh on postgresql.  8K row limit is long gone and
postgresql does support online backup, to mention a few.

PostgreSQL now has native windows port, tablespaces and many many replication
solutions, not to mention a list of companies that offer PostgreSQL support.

 Shridhar

Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Oracle, 2005 report card

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Freitag, 11. Februar 2005 13:37 schrieb Marques Johansson:
> A recent Slashdot thread on MySQL performance
> (http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/11/038232&from=rss)
> contains a comment mentioning the following Fermilab report from May 2003:

They were apparently testing with PostgreSQL 6.3 at best, so I'd disregard
this report.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Oracle, 2005 report card

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 11. Februar 2005 13:37 schrieb Marques Johansson:
> > A recent Slashdot thread on MySQL performance
> > (http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/11/038232&from=rss)
> > contains a comment mentioning the following Fermilab report from May 2003:
>
> They were apparently testing with PostgreSQL 6.3 at best, so I'd disregard
> this report.

Coulda' been 6.4 even :-)

I Wrote the contact person on the page a nice, well reasoned email
explaining that many of the points were quite out of date, and giving
him the skinny on how things are nowadays...

Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Oracle, 2005 report card

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
They also say that mysql is free, which isn't the case for commercial
applications.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 07:36:44PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Friday 11 Feb 2005 6:07 pm, Marques Johansson wrote:
> > A recent Slashdot thread on MySQL performance
> > (http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/11/038232&from=rss)
> > contains a comment mentioning the following Fermilab report from May 2003:
> >
> > http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/mysql-vs-pgsql.html
> >
> > With the release of PostgreSQL 8.0, how does PostgreSQL currently stand?
>
> That seems to be fairly old and hence out-of-sync. Things have move a lot
> since, for all the products involved.
>
> But still I find it rather harsh on postgresql.  8K row limit is long gone and
> postgresql does support online backup, to mention a few.
>
> PostgreSQL now has native windows port, tablespaces and many many replication
> solutions, not to mention a list of companies that offer PostgreSQL support.
>
>  Shridhar

Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Oracle, 2005 report card

От
Ron Mayer
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Freitag, 11. Februar 2005 13:37 schrieb Marques Johansson:
>
>>A recent Slashdot thread on MySQL performance
>>(http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/11/038232&from=rss)
>>contains a comment mentioning the following Fermilab report from May 2003:
>

> They were apparently testing with PostgreSQL 6.3 at best, so I'd disregard
> this report.

Perhaps someone from advocacy could go through their list of issues
and help them. They do seem to be trying to update it, and now
have references to newer features: "Datafile location and a
tablespace implementation as of version 8."

However some of their criteria (savepoints:"no", incremental
online backups:"no", and "access to multiple databases: no"
(what about dblink)) still seem incorrect.

Fermilab did have contact information ("mail comments to:") at the
bottom of the page.  Fermilab's a quite highly respected organization,
so I think this page is probably trusted by many.

Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Oracle, 2005 report card

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 11:13, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 11. Februar 2005 13:37 schrieb Marques Johansson:
> >
> >>A recent Slashdot thread on MySQL performance
> >>(http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/11/038232&from=rss)
> >>contains a comment mentioning the following Fermilab report from May 2003:
> >

> > They were apparently testing with PostgreSQL 6.3 at best, so I'd disregard
> > this report.
> >

> Perhaps someone from advocacy could go through their list of issues
> and help them. They do seem to be trying to update it, and now
> have references to newer features: "Datafile location and a
> tablespace implementation as of version 8."
>

> However some of their criteria (savepoints:"no", incremental
> online backups:"no", and "access to multiple databases: no"
> (what about dblink)) still seem incorrect.
>

> Fermilab did have contact information ("mail comments to:") at the
> bottom of the page.  Fermilab's a quite highly respected organization,
> so I think this page is probably trusted by many.

Wandering about that page a bit myself, it seems most of this was
written between the 6.5 and 7.2 versions of PostgreSQL.  I don't think
there's any active tendency towards misinformation, mostly it's just out
of date.

Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Oracle, 2005 report card

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 11:13, Ron Mayer wrote:
>> Fermilab did have contact information ("mail comments to:") at the
>> bottom of the page.  Fermilab's a quite highly respected organization,
>> so I think this page is probably trusted by many.

> Wandering about that page a bit myself, it seems most of this was
> written between the 6.5 and 7.2 versions of PostgreSQL.  I don't think
> there's any active tendency towards misinformation, mostly it's just out
> of date.

Right.  The question is whether we can get them to update it.  The
odds are that the MySQL and Oracle information is just as dated; so
really the only fair way would be for them to redo the whole evaluation
from scratch, which I could well believe they don't have the time for.

It would be good to at least try to get them to label the page with
the versions that they tested, and note that the info is now quite
out of date.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
 > Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
 >>On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 11:13, Ron Mayer wrote:
 >>
 >>>Fermilab did have contact information ("mail comments to:") at the
 > Right.  The question is whether we can get them to update it.

I think so... as mentioned earlier in the thread, they did update
some of the answers saying "postgresql version 8 has this" already.

I just sent them an email with links to the postgresql docs for
each of the answers I know have been already addressed.
The email I sent them is attached below.  Feel free to send them
corrections to my corrections. :)