Обсуждение: PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

От
"S.D."
Дата:
I downloaded the native Windows 8.0.1 installer and sorted through the various Windows permissions problems by running
theInstaller as an admin but not creating a cluster. Then I log out and log back in as the limited "postgres" user and
runinitdb.exe from the command line. Initdb creates the data folder and everything seems to be going well until just
after"initializing pg_depend ... ok". The next lines are:

-----
creating system views ... FATAL: unrecognized node type: 653
child process was terminated by signal 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory
-----

What am I doing wrong? This installation is on Windows 2000 Pro running inside Virtual PC 6 on the Macintosh (10.3.8).
I'vesearched all over the web but have found nothing that refers to this error code.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Scott

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

Re: PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

Дата:
"S.D." <sdownie@myway.com> writes:
> I downloaded the native Windows 8.0.1 installer and sorted through the various Windows permissions problems by
runningthe Installer as an admin but not creating a cluster. Then I log out and log back in as the limited "postgres"
userand run initdb.exe from the command line. Initdb creates the data folder and everything seems to be going well
untiljust after "initializing pg_depend ... ok". The next lines are:

> -----
> creating system views ... FATAL: unrecognized node type: 653

You seem to have a miscompiled backend.  Where did you get the installer
from?  Maybe a bad download?

            regards, tom lane

Re: PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

От
"S.D."
Tom suggested:

> You seem to have a miscompiled backend. Where did you get the
> installer from? Maybe a bad download?

I snagged the non-Japanese version from:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/win32/

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

Re: PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

От
"S.D."
Дата:
I downloaded the PostGreSQL Windows installer from another FTP site but I still ended up with the same arcane error
messagewhen I tried to install PostGreSQL 8.0.1 on W2K running inside Virtual PC 6 (Macintosh).

I then ran the installer on a "real" computer (Athlon 1900 running W2K) and the installation went as advertised.

So I've got to believe that there is some bug that results from the interaction of the PostGreSQL installer and the
chipset emulated by Virtual PC 6. If I'm the first person to attempt to install PostGreSQL 8.0.1 in that environment,
thenI guess this is a bug report. :-)

Thanks!

Scott

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

Re: PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

От
Jonel Rienton
Дата:

Re: PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Feb 19, 2005, at 2:14 PM, S.D. wrote:

> I downloaded the PostGreSQL Windows installer from another FTP site
> but I still ended up with the same arcane error message when I tried
> to install PostGreSQL 8.0.1 on W2K running inside Virtual PC 6
> (Macintosh).

Does Virtual PC 6 really emulate NTFS drives?

Just curious: why would you want to use Virtual PC/Windows rather than
native PostgreSQL on OS X?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com> writes:

> On Feb 19, 2005, at 2:14 PM, S.D. wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the PostGreSQL Windows installer from another FTP site
>> but I still ended up with the same arcane error message when I tried
>> to install PostGreSQL 8.0.1 on W2K running inside Virtual PC 6
>> (Macintosh).
>
> Does Virtual PC 6 really emulate NTFS drives?

It emulates an IDE disk--the Microsoft NTFS driver runs on the virtual
machine and talks to the emulated disk.

> Just curious: why would you want to use Virtual PC/Windows rather than
> native PostgreSQL on OS X?

A very good question indeed.  :)

-Doug

Re: PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

Дата:
"S.D." <sdownie@myway.com> writes:
> I downloaded the PostGreSQL Windows installer from another FTP site but I still ended up with the same arcane error
messagewhen I tried to install PostGreSQL 8.0.1 on W2K running inside Virtual PC 6 (Macintosh).

> I then ran the installer on a "real" computer (Athlon 1900 running W2K) and the installation went as advertised.

> So I've got to believe that there is some bug that results from the interaction of the PostGreSQL installer and the
chipset emulated by Virtual PC 6. If I'm the first person to attempt to install PostGreSQL 8.0.1 in that environment,
thenI guess this is a bug report. :-)

I think you're reporting to the wrong place ;-).  If Virtual PC fails to
act like a real PC, it's not the fault of the application that exposed
the deficiency in their emulation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PGSQL 8.0.1 Win 2K Installation Problem

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
I assume this is also VirtuaL PC on the mac, right? I've been using
VirtualPC on the PC for a lot of th dev work on the intaller, and it
should certaily work there..

Does this only occur with win2k, or does it also occur with
XP/2003/whatever?

In the end I doubt there is much we can do, it seems to be an issue of
Virtual PC not being close enough to a PC.

//Magnus

Дата:

I don't use PostgreSQL in Windows, I was just merely verifying that
this guy isn't the only one having this kind of problem, and yes this
is a Mac. I run my PostgreSQL db in Solaris, Linux and Mac OS X :-)

- -----
Jonel Rienton
http://blogs.road14.com
Software Developer, *nix Advocate