Обсуждение: using limit with delete

using limit with delete

От
Chris Smith
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm trying to use a limit clause with delete, but it doesn't work at the
moment (are there plans to add this - I could try to do up a patch ?).

eg.

delete from table where x='1' limit 1000;

(so truncate is out - I have a 'where' clause).

Is there another way to approach this?

I'm trying to delete records through a webapp and if there are 500,000
records for example, I can't really leave the page open and expect it to
finish...

--
Regards,

Chris Smith

  Unit 2, 3 National Street, Rozelle, NSW 2039 Australia

Ph: +61 2 9555 5570
Fx: +61 2 9555 5571

email: info@interspire.com
web: http://www.interspire.com

Re: using limit with delete

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
Chris Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to use a limit clause with delete, but it doesn't work at the
> moment

It isn't in the SQL standard, and it would have undefined behavior: the
sort order of a result set without ORDER BY is unspecified, so you would
have no way to predict which rows DELETE would remove.

> delete from table where x='1' limit 1000;

You could use a subquery to achieve this:

DELETE FROM table WHERE x IN
     (SELECT x FROM table ... ORDER BY ... LIMIT ...);

-Neil

Re: using limit with delete

От
Chris Smith
Дата:
I don't care about the order in my particular case, just that I have to
clear the table.

I'll try the subquery and see how I go :)

Thanks!

Neil Conway wrote:
> Chris Smith wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to use a limit clause with delete, but it doesn't work at
>> the moment
>

> It isn't in the SQL standard, and it would have undefined behavior: the
> sort order of a result set without ORDER BY is unspecified, so you would
> have no way to predict which rows DELETE would remove.
>
>> delete from table where x='1' limit 1000;
>

> You could use a subquery to achieve this:
>
> DELETE FROM table WHERE x IN
>     (SELECT x FROM table ... ORDER BY ... LIMIT ...);
>
> -Neil

Regards,

Chris Smith

  Unit 2, 3 National Street, Rozelle, NSW 2039 Australia

Ph: +61 2 9555 5570
Fx: +61 2 9555 5571

email: info@interspire.com
web: http://www.interspire.com

Re: using limit with delete

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:02:24PM +1000, Neil Conway wrote:
> Chris Smith wrote:
> >I'm trying to use a limit clause with delete, but it doesn't work at the
> >moment
>
> It isn't in the SQL standard, and it would have undefined behavior: the
> sort order of a result set without ORDER BY is unspecified, so you would
> have no way to predict which rows DELETE would remove.
>
> >delete from table where x='1' limit 1000;
>
> You could use a subquery to achieve this:
>
> DELETE FROM table WHERE x IN
>     (SELECT x FROM table ... ORDER BY ... LIMIT ...);

In particular, x can be the system column "ctid", a trick which could be
useful to remove duplicates, for example.

"Porque Kim no hacia nada, pero, eso sí,
con extraordinario éxito" ("Kim", Kipling)

Re: using limit with delete

От
Chris Smith
Дата:
For the archives...

Using 7.4 so IN() is a little slower, so I rewrote it slightly to be

DELETE FROM table WHERE EXISTS (select x from table .... LIMIT ...);

Works very nicely :)

Thanks again.

Neil Conway wrote:
> Chris Smith wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to use a limit clause with delete, but it doesn't work at
>> the moment
>

> It isn't in the SQL standard, and it would have undefined behavior: the
> sort order of a result set without ORDER BY is unspecified, so you would
> have no way to predict which rows DELETE would remove.
>
>> delete from table where x='1' limit 1000;
>

> You could use a subquery to achieve this:
>
> DELETE FROM table WHERE x IN
>     (SELECT x FROM table ... ORDER BY ... LIMIT ...);
>
> -Neil

Regards,

Chris Smith

  Unit 2, 3 National Street, Rozelle, NSW 2039 Australia

Ph: +61 2 9555 5570
Fx: +61 2 9555 5571

email: info@interspire.com
web: http://www.interspire.com

Re: using limit with delete

От
Csaba Nagy
Дата:
Hi Chris,

Just a thought: if you have to clear the table anyway, wouldn't it work
for you to use truncate ? That should be faster than delete.

HTH,
Csaba.

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 04:11, Chris Smith wrote:
> I don't care about the order in my particular case, just that I have to
> clear the table.
>
> I'll try the subquery and see how I go :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Neil Conway wrote:
> > Chris Smith wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to use a limit clause with delete, but it doesn't work at
> >> the moment
> >

> > It isn't in the SQL standard, and it would have undefined behavior: the
> > sort order of a result set without ORDER BY is unspecified, so you would
> > have no way to predict which rows DELETE would remove.
> >
> >> delete from table where x='1' limit 1000;
> >

> > You could use a subquery to achieve this:
> >
> > DELETE FROM table WHERE x IN
> >     (SELECT x FROM table ... ORDER BY ... LIMIT ...);
> >
> > -Neil

> >    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: using limit with delete

От
Chris Smith
Дата:
Hi Csaba,

Because I have a where clause limiting which records I'm deleting.

I'm deleting old info from a database, so I'm doing:

DELETE FROM sessions WHERE EXISTS (SELECT sessiontime FROM sessions
WHERE sessiontime < (timenow-7days) LIMIT 100)

(timenow-7days is evaluated in PHP and made an int).

So every time the page gets hit, I'm deleting up to 100 records that are
older than 7 days..

Csaba Nagy wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Just a thought: if you have to clear the table anyway, wouldn't it work
> for you to use truncate ? That should be faster than delete.
>
> HTH,
> Csaba.
>
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 04:11, Chris Smith wrote:
>
>>I don't care about the order in my particular case, just that I have to
>>clear the table.
>>
>>I'll try the subquery and see how I go :)
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Neil Conway wrote:

>>>It isn't in the SQL standard, and it would have undefined behavior: the
>>>sort order of a result set without ORDER BY is unspecified, so you would
>>>have no way to predict which rows DELETE would remove.

>>>You could use a subquery to achieve this:
>>>
>>>DELETE FROM table WHERE x IN
>>>    (SELECT x FROM table ... ORDER BY ... LIMIT ...);
>>>
>>>-Neil
>>>
>>>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>>TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>>   (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

--
Regards,

Chris Smith

  Unit 2, 3 National Street, Rozelle, NSW 2039 Australia

Ph: +61 2 9555 5570
Fx: +61 2 9555 5571

email: info@interspire.com
web: http://www.interspire.com

Re: using limit with delete

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:51:10 +1000,
  Chris Smith <chris@interspire.com> wrote:

> Is there another way to approach this?
>
> I'm trying to delete records through a webapp and if there are 500,000
> records for example, I can't really leave the page open and expect it to
> finish...

Maybe you could use a statement timeout and schedule a batch delete if
the delete times out?