Обсуждение: Pgpool questions

Pgpool questions

От
"Brian Maguire"
Дата:
I have a couple Pgpool questions regarding running pgpool as a load balancer with Sony as the replicator.

Is there anyway to load balance selects to more than 2 servers? ex.  1 master with 2 slaves?  Run multiple instances?

Is there any way to tell a select (ex. with a function) to go only the master and not the slave?

Is there any way to tell a select query to only go to the slave?

Thanks

Re: Pgpool questions

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Brian Maguire wrote:
> I have a couple Pgpool questions regarding running pgpool as a load balancer with Sony as the replicator.
>

> Is there anyway to load balance selects to more than 2 servers? ex.  1 master with 2 slaves?  Run multiple instances?

My understanding is that if you turn on the load balancing it will
automatically do so for all servers.

> Is there any way to tell a select (ex. with a function) to go only the master and not the slave?

Run it in a transaction with BEGIN;

> Is there any way to tell a select query to only go to the slave?

That i don't know.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

> Thanks
>

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: Pgpool questions

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 08:37:02AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Brian Maguire wrote:

> >Is there any way to tell a select query to only go to the slave?
>
> That i don't know.

I think Tatsuo said recently that it was an interesting suggestion and
the he'd look into implementing it.

"La persona que no quería pecar / estaba obligada a sentarse
 en duras y empinadas sillas    / desprovistas, por cierto
 de blandos atenuantes"                          (Patricio Vogel)

Re: Pgpool questions

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> I have a couple Pgpool questions regarding running pgpool as a load balancer with Sony as the replicator.
>

> Is there anyway to load balance selects to more than 2 servers? ex.  1 master with 2 slaves?  Run multiple instances?

It's on my TODO but will not be a trivial change.

> Is there any way to tell a select (ex. with a function) to go only the master and not the slave?

Pgpool will send any query not starting with "SELECT" or "select" to
the master. So you can insert a white space or a comment, for example
 "/* NO LOAD BALANCE */" at the beginning of the line to prevent the
 query to be sent to the slave.

> Is there any way to tell a select query to only go to the slave?

Set weight_secondary to 0.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Pgpool questions

От
Ron Mayer
Дата:
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

>>Is there anyway to load balance selects to more than 2 servers? ex.  1 master with 2 slaves?  Run multiple instances?
>
> It's on my TODO but will not be a trivial change.

Could I set up 2 pairs of pgpool-balanced servers, and use a
third pgpool to load balance across the two pools?
Or is that just silly.

Re: Pgpool questions

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 00:53, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> >>
> >>Is there anyway to load balance selects to more than 2 servers? ex.  1 master with 2 slaves?  Run multiple
instances?

> > It's on my TODO but will not be a trivial change.
>
> Could I set up 2 pairs of pgpool-balanced servers, and use a
> third pgpool to load balance across the two pools?
> Or is that just silly.

I've actually thought of doing the same thing.  I can't see a reason why
it wouldn't work.

Re: Pgpool questions

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:

> > > It's on my TODO but will not be a trivial change.
> >
> > Could I set up 2 pairs of pgpool-balanced servers, and use a
> > third pgpool to load balance across the two pools?
> > Or is that just silly.
>
> I've actually thought of doing the same thing.  I can't see a reason why
> it wouldn't work.

Oh, cascading pgpool! Actually once I have tried it and it definitly
worked. The only concern is the overhead due to the cascading...
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Pgpool questions

От
"Brian Maguire"

Thanks.

Is it on your todo list to something like this…?  It is the opposite of "/* NO LOAD BALANCE */".

Make a "/* SLAVE */" type comment to force it to a slave? It would be helpful in forcing a query to a reporting server if you know your what your reporting queries are.

“Set weight_secondary to 0.”

Did you mean Set weight_master to 0.  Unfortunately this would not help on a query by query basis, but the above would.

> I have a couple Pgpool questions regarding running pgpool as a load balancer with Sony as the replicator.

> Is there anyway to load balance selects to more than 2 servers? ex.  1 master with 2 slaves?  Run multiple instances?

It's on my TODO but will not be a trivial change.

> Is there any way to tell a select (ex. with a function) to go only the master and not the slave?

Pgpool will send any query not starting with "SELECT" or "select" to

the master. So you can insert a white space or a comment, for example

 "/* NO LOAD BALANCE */" at the beginning of the line to prevent the

 query to be sent to the slave.

> Is there any way to tell a select query to only go to the slave?

Set weight_secondary to 0.

--

Tatsuo Ishii

Re: Pgpool questions

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Ok, I have added per query basis weight control to my TODO list.
--
Tatsuo Ishii