Обсуждение: duplicate messages?

duplicate messages?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Anyone else getting duplicate messages?  I seem to be getting them
sporadically on different messages on pgsql-general.  Seems to have started
sometime Monday morning (estern us time)

--
Robert Treat

Re: duplicate messages?

От
Audrey Bergeron-Morin
Дата:
> Anyone else getting duplicate messages?

Yep, have been getting them sporadically ever since I
joined (about 5 weeks ago). It's something that
happens once in a while on many mailing lists, I
wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a regular occurence.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: duplicate messages?

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: duplicate messages?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 10:09, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > Anyone else getting duplicate messages?  I seem to be getting them
> > sporadically on different messages on pgsql-general.  Seems to have started
> > sometime Monday morning (estern us time)
>
> One reason this happens is because people post to the list from an address
> which is not subscribed. Their message gets addded the moderator's queue.
> They then realize that they were not subscribed, and either subscribe
> and send again, or send from another account, or send again so it gets
> added to the moderator's queue multiple times. The moderator comes along and
> approves the message(s) at some point. Thus, duplicate messages. In an ideal
> world, the moderator or the original poster is constantly reading the list
> and realized the post has already made it. Of course, in an ideal world,
> people would subscribe to the list before attempting to send to it. :)

Seems unlikely unless folks like Tom Lane, Stephan Szabo, and Richard
Huxton have unsubscribed and resubscribed lately... Funny thing is it
isnt every messages, but maybe half of them. And its not to specific
users, sometimes one of Toms emails will duplicate but sometimes not.
Further more it only seems to be happening on pgsql-general emails and
not on any of the other lists... I also notice this is only happening on
one of my subscribed emails, not the other, which is a little weird...
according to the headers though, this problem is happening further
upstream.

Robert Treat

Re: duplicate messages?

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:46:05AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > > Anyone else getting duplicate messages?  I seem to be getting them
> > > sporadically on different messages on pgsql-general.  Seems to have started
> > > sometime Monday morning (estern us time)
> >
> > One reason this happens is because people post to the list from an address
> > which is not subscribed. Their message gets addded the moderator's queue.
> > They then realize that they were not subscribed, and either subscribe
> > and send again, or send from another account, or send again so it gets
> > added to the moderator's queue multiple times. The moderator comes along and
> > approves the message(s) at some point. Thus, duplicate messages. In an ideal
> > world, the moderator or the original poster is constantly reading the list
> > and realized the post has already made it. Of course, in an ideal world,
> > people would subscribe to the list before attempting to send to it. :)
> >

> Seems unlikely unless folks like Tom Lane, Stephan Szabo, and Richard
> Huxton have unsubscribed and resubscribed lately... Funny thing is it
> isnt every messages, but maybe half of them. And its not to specific
> users, sometimes one of Toms emails will duplicate but sometimes not.
> Further more it only seems to be happening on pgsql-general emails and
> not on any of the other lists... I also notice this is only happening on
> one of my subscribed emails, not the other, which is a little weird...
> according to the headers though, this problem is happening further
> upstream.

It happens every so often (I've noticed it 4 or 5 times in the past
few years). If you check the headers you'll probably find the dupes
come from one particular server. It appears to be multiple delivery
rather than reinjection of articles to the list.

Cheers,
  Steve

Re: duplicate messages?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:46:05 -0400,
  Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Seems unlikely unless folks like Tom Lane, Stephan Szabo, and Richard
> Huxton have unsubscribed and resubscribed lately... Funny thing is it
> isnt every messages, but maybe half of them. And its not to specific
> users, sometimes one of Toms emails will duplicate but sometimes not.
> Further more it only seems to be happening on pgsql-general emails and
> not on any of the other lists... I also notice this is only happening on
> one of my subscribed emails, not the other, which is a little weird...
> according to the headers though, this problem is happening further
> upstream.

Are some copies of these messages being sent directly to you without going
through the list? If so there is a way to tell the list server not to
send you copies if it appears you are getting a copy directly from the
sender.

Re: duplicate messages?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:46:05AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:

> Seems unlikely unless folks like Tom Lane, Stephan Szabo, and Richard
> Huxton have unsubscribed and resubscribed lately... Funny thing is it
> isnt every messages, but maybe half of them. And its not to specific
> users, sometimes one of Toms emails will duplicate but sometimes not.
> Further more it only seems to be happening on pgsql-general emails and
> not on any of the other lists... I also notice this is only happening on
> one of my subscribed emails, not the other, which is a little weird...
> according to the headers though, this problem is happening further
> upstream.

I'd think it would be a problem with your "last mile", because it seems
to be a localized problem.  Maybe an SMTP server dropping connections at
the last moment, or a deliver program crashing after delivering (leading
to re-delivery), or something like that.

You'd have to show us the headers though.

"Find a bug in a program, and fix it, and the program will work today.
Show the program how to find and fix a bug, and the program
will work forever" (Oliver Silfridge)

Re: duplicate messages?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 27 July 2005 12:30, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:46:05AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > Seems unlikely unless folks like Tom Lane, Stephan Szabo, and Richard
> > Huxton have unsubscribed and resubscribed lately... Funny thing is it
> > isnt every messages, but maybe half of them. And its not to specific
> > users, sometimes one of Toms emails will duplicate but sometimes not.
> > Further more it only seems to be happening on pgsql-general emails and
> > not on any of the other lists... I also notice this is only happening on
> > one of my subscribed emails, not the other, which is a little weird...
> > according to the headers though, this problem is happening further
> > upstream.
>
> I'd think it would be a problem with your "last mile", because it seems
> to be a localized problem.  Maybe an SMTP server dropping connections at
> the last moment, or a deliver program crashing after delivering (leading
> to re-delivery), or something like that.
>
> You'd have to show us the headers though.

I would think that too, however take a look at these message headers:
the critical piece seems to be the handoff between postgresql.org and
commandprompt, where the ESMTP changes into j6RGoF0u002162 and j6RGj9mu001662
for what would otherwise be the same message.

        s=beta; d=gmail.com;

h=received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;

b=nNBziaFbsTlwduR3PYyrUPubs6NRt0AU0/m8aPBQkXbpYYNqBRefNf0io5qZhG4oMSf3FnUwJoNlAfMdHG/R9CKm6XKb0eik8nEBDMcA6DYmBJsbLM3ebzFe6lzilfwxvtMYhSH8SohIDoHPX/CEyLxldB0sDmDLCu6YFXBv3Yg=
        s=beta; d=gmail.com;

h=received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;

b=nNBziaFbsTlwduR3PYyrUPubs6NRt0AU0/m8aPBQkXbpYYNqBRefNf0io5qZhG4oMSf3FnUwJoNlAfMdHG/R9CKm6XKb0eik8nEBDMcA6DYmBJsbLM3ebzFe6lzilfwxvtMYhSH8SohIDoHPX/CEyLxldB0sDmDLCu6YFXBv3Yg=

--
Robert Treat

Re: duplicate messages?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 01:55:51PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 July 2005 12:30, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:46:05AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > > Seems unlikely unless folks like Tom Lane, Stephan Szabo, and Richard
> > > Huxton have unsubscribed and resubscribed lately... Funny thing is it
> > > isnt every messages, but maybe half of them. And its not to specific
> > > users, sometimes one of Toms emails will duplicate but sometimes not.
> > > Further more it only seems to be happening on pgsql-general emails and
> > > not on any of the other lists... I also notice this is only happening on
> > > one of my subscribed emails, not the other, which is a little weird...
> > > according to the headers though, this problem is happening further
> > > upstream.
> >
> > I'd think it would be a problem with your "last mile", because it seems
> > to be a localized problem.  Maybe an SMTP server dropping connections at
> > the last moment, or a deliver program crashing after delivering (leading
> > to re-delivery), or something like that.
> >
> > You'd have to show us the headers though.
>
> I would think that too, however take a look at these message headers:
> the critical piece seems to be the handoff between postgresql.org and
> commandprompt, where the ESMTP changes into j6RGoF0u002162 and j6RGj9mu001662
> for what would otherwise be the same message.

Strange.  I'd expect that this message had been crossposted to more than one
list, but it isn't.

"Aprende a avergonzarte más ante ti que ante los demás" (Demócrito)

Re: duplicate messages?

От
Paul Tillotson
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:46:05AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
>

>>Seems unlikely unless folks like Tom Lane, Stephan Szabo, and Richard
>>Huxton have unsubscribed and resubscribed lately... Funny thing is it
>>isnt every messages, but maybe half of them. And its not to specific
>>users, sometimes one of Toms emails will duplicate but sometimes not.
>>Further more it only seems to be happening on pgsql-general emails and
>>not on any of the other lists... I also notice this is only happening on
>>one of my subscribed emails, not the other, which is a little weird...
>>according to the headers though, this problem is happening further
>>upstream.
>>

>I'd think it would be a problem with your "last mile", because it seems
>to be a localized problem.  Maybe an SMTP server dropping connections at
>the last moment, or a deliver program crashing after delivering (leading
>to re-delivery), or something like that.
>
>You'd have to show us the headers though.

For the last few days, I am getting about half of the messages on
-general in duplicate also. I've attached two messages that I got in
duplicate for header perusal.

It seems kind of unlikely that this should start happening to all of us
at once.

Paul

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 04:46:56PM +0200, denis@edistar.com wrote:
> I'm now testing with pg_pool installed on each apache frontend with 260
> pg_pool preforked clients in each machine.
>
> The database seems to work better. At least when it goes to swap it
> doesn't stop working...

Wait, are you saying your database server is swapping? You'll never get
any kind of performance if that's the case.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend