Обсуждение: Upgrading 7.3.9 -> 7.4.8 - trouble with blobs

Upgrading 7.3.9 -> 7.4.8 - trouble with blobs

От
Christian Goetze
Дата:
I have a database with blobs, I dump it with the following command:

pg_dump\
--host=$SENSAGE_DB_HOST\
--port=$SENSAGE_DB_PORT\
-U $SENSAGE_DB_ROOT_USER\
--blobs\
--create\
--format=t\
--file="$upgrade_dump"\
$SENSAGE_DB_NAME

I then move the data directory to the side, install the new version in
place, start it up, let it initialize it's new data storare, then I try
restoring my database with this command:

pg_restore\
--host=$SENSAGE_DB_HOST\
--port=$SENSAGE_DB_PORT\
-U $SENSAGE_DB_ROOT_USER\
--create\
--format=t\
"$upgrade_dump"

Seems to work fine, except I get:

pg_restore: [archiver] WARNING: skipping large-object restoration

How do I ensure that the blobs get restored?
--
cg

Re: Upgrading 7.3.9 -> 7.4.8 - trouble with blobs

Дата:
Christian Goetze <cg@sensage.com> writes:
> pg_restore\
> --host=$SENSAGE_DB_HOST\
> --port=$SENSAGE_DB_PORT\
> -U $SENSAGE_DB_ROOT_USER\
> --create\
> --format=t\
> "$upgrade_dump"

> Seems to work fine, except I get:

> pg_restore: [archiver] WARNING: skipping large-object restoration

IIRC, you get that if you're asking it to emit a text script rather than
connect directly to the destination database server.  I think you need a
"-d databasename" switch to make that happen.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Upgrading 7.3.9 -> 7.4.8 - trouble with blobs

От
Christian Goetze
Дата:
>>pg_restore: [archiver] WARNING: skipping large-object restoration
>>

>IIRC, you get that if you're asking it to emit a text script rather than
>connect directly to the destination database server.  I think you need a
>"-d databasename" switch to make that happen.

Does this mean that the only way to upgrade is to have both the old and
the new databases running _at the same time_?

BTW, on further inspection, it would seem that the bytea fields loaded
properly after all - is the warning just a bug, or are "large objects"
something else altogether?
--
cg

Re: Upgrading 7.3.9 -> 7.4.8 - trouble with blobs

Дата:
Christian Goetze <cg@sensage.com> writes:
>>> pg_restore: [archiver] WARNING: skipping large-object restoration
>>
>> IIRC, you get that if you're asking it to emit a text script rather than
>> connect directly to the destination database server.  I think you need a
>> "-d databasename" switch to make that happen.

> Does this mean that the only way to upgrade is to have both the old and
> the new databases running _at the same time_?

No, unless you were hoping to pipe the output of pg_dump straight into
pg_restore or something like that.

> BTW, on further inspection, it would seem that the bytea fields loaded
> properly after all - is the warning just a bug, or are "large objects"
> something else altogether?

AFAICS, the warning only comes out if there are large objects in the
dump file (and no, these have nothing to do with bytea fields).

            regards, tom lane