Обсуждение: Speed problems

Speed problems

От
"Warren Bell"
Дата:
I am having problems with performance. I think this is a simple question and
I am in the right place, if not, please redirect me.

I have a table with 36 fields that slows down quite a bit after some light
use. There are only 5 clients connected to this DB and they are doing mostly
inserts and updates. There is no load on this server or db at all. This
table has had no more than 10,000 records and is being accesessd at the rate
of once per 5 seconds. It will slow down quite a bit. It will take 10
seconds to do a `SELECT * FROM` query. I delete all records except one
perform a VACUUM and this will not speed it up. I drop the table and
recreate it and insert one record and it speeds right back up takeing only
100 ms to do the query.

I am fairly new to Postgres. What do I need to do to keep this table from
slowing down?

Thanks,

Warren Bell

Re: Speed problems

Дата:
"Warren Bell" <warren@clarksnutrition.com> writes:
> I have a table with 36 fields that slows down quite a bit after some light
> use. There are only 5 clients connected to this DB and they are doing mostly
> inserts and updates. There is no load on this server or db at all. This
> table has had no more than 10,000 records and is being accesessd at the rate
> of once per 5 seconds. It will slow down quite a bit. It will take 10
> seconds to do a `SELECT * FROM` query. I delete all records except one
> perform a VACUUM and this will not speed it up. I drop the table and
> recreate it and insert one record and it speeds right back up takeing only
> 100 ms to do the query.

It sounds to me like the table needs to be vacuumed vastly more often
than you are doing.  (You could confirm this by using VACUUM VERBOSE
and noting how big it says the table is physically --- what you need to
do is vacuum often enough to keep the table size in check.)

You might consider setting up pg_autovacuum.

It's also worth asking whether you have indexes set up to handle your
common queries --- normally, only sequential-scan queries are really
sensitive to the physical table size.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Speed problems

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 13:20, Warren Bell wrote:
> I am having problems with performance. I think this is a simple question and
> I am in the right place, if not, please redirect me.
>
> I have a table with 36 fields that slows down quite a bit after some light
> use. There are only 5 clients connected to this DB and they are doing mostly
> inserts and updates. There is no load on this server or db at all. This
> table has had no more than 10,000 records and is being accesessd at the rate
> of once per 5 seconds. It will slow down quite a bit. It will take 10
> seconds to do a `SELECT * FROM` query. I delete all records except one
> perform a VACUUM and this will not speed it up. I drop the table and
> recreate it and insert one record and it speeds right back up takeing only
> 100 ms to do the query.

This sounds like classic table / index bloat.

Are you updating all 10,000 rows every 5 seconds?  Good lord, that's a
lot of updates.  If so, then do a vacuum immediately after the update
(or a delete), or change the system so it doesn't update every row every
time.

Next time, try a vacuum full instead of a drop and recreate and see if
that helps.

> I am fairly new to Postgres. What do I need to do to keep this table from
> slowing down?

Vacuum this table more often.  You might want to look at using the
autovacuum daemon to do this for you.

You might want to post a little more info on what, exactly, you're doing
to see if we can spot any obvious problems.

Re: Speed problems

От
Ben
Дата:
When you say VACUUM do you really mean VACUUM ANALYZE? Have you tried a
simple ANALYZE?

I'm assuming of course that you have indexes that you want to use........

Warren Bell wrote:

>I am having problems with performance. I think this is a simple question and
>I am in the right place, if not, please redirect me.
>
>I have a table with 36 fields that slows down quite a bit after some light
>use. There are only 5 clients connected to this DB and they are doing mostly
>inserts and updates. There is no load on this server or db at all. This
>table has had no more than 10,000 records and is being accesessd at the rate
>of once per 5 seconds. It will slow down quite a bit. It will take 10
>seconds to do a `SELECT * FROM` query. I delete all records except one
>perform a VACUUM and this will not speed it up. I drop the table and
>recreate it and insert one record and it speeds right back up takeing only
>100 ms to do the query.
>
>I am fairly new to Postgres. What do I need to do to keep this table from
>slowing down?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Warren Bell

Re: Speed problems

От
"Warren Bell"
Дата:
>On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 13:20, Warren Bell wrote:
>> I am having problems with performance. I think this is a simple question
and
>> I am in the right place, if not, please redirect me.
>>
>> I have a table with 36 fields that slows down quite a bit after some
light
>> use. There are only 5 clients connected to this DB and they are doing
mostly
>> table has had no more than 10,000 records and is being accesessd at the
rate
>> of once per 5 seconds. It will slow down quite a bit. It will take 10
>> seconds to do a `SELECT * FROM` query. I delete all records except one
>> perform a VACUUM and this will not speed it up. I drop the table and
>> recreate it and insert one record and it speeds right back up takeing
only
>> 100 ms to do the query.
>
>This sounds like classic table / index bloat.
>
>Are you updating all 10,000 rows every 5 seconds?  Good lord, that's a
>lot of updates.  If so, then do a vacuum immediately after the update
>(or a delete), or change the system so it doesn't update every row every
>time.
>
>Next time, try a vacuum full instead of a drop and recreate and see if
>that helps.
>

>> I am fairly new to Postgres. What do I need to do to keep this table from
>> slowing down?
>
>Vacuum this table more often.  You might want to look at using the
>autovacuum daemon to do this for you.
>
>You might want to post a little more info on what, exactly, you're doing
>to see if we can spot any obvious problems.

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

I have three indexes on this table. One index is a 1 column, one index is a
5 column multi and one is a 2 column multi. I have run EXPLAIN ANALYZE on
all of my queries and they seem to be taking advantage of these indexes.

Would three indexes of this sort be considered "index bloat"?

I am updating no more than 200 records at a time. Here are some examples of
my queries:

UPDATE table SET boolean_col_1 = true WHERE boolean_col_2 = false

UPDATE table SET (several columns = something) WHERE char_col_1 = 'blah' AND
int4_col_1 = 11

UPDATE table SET boolean_col_1 = true WHERE boolean_col_2 = false AND
boolean_col_3 = false AND  boolean_col_4 = false AND  boolean_col_5 = false
AND  boolean_col_6 = false

Is my use of indexes correct?

In the meantime, I will start using autovacuum or VACUUM.

Thanks for your help,

Re: Speed problems

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 21:01, Warren Bell wrote:
> >On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 13:20, Warren Bell wrote:
> >> I am having problems with performance. I think this is a simple question
> and
> >> I am in the right place, if not, please redirect me.
> >>
> >> I have a table with 36 fields that slows down quite a bit after some
> light
> >> use. There are only 5 clients connected to this DB and they are doing
> mostly
> >> table has had no more than 10,000 records and is being accesessd at the
> rate
> >> of once per 5 seconds. It will slow down quite a bit. It will take 10
> >> seconds to do a `SELECT * FROM` query. I delete all records except one
> >> perform a VACUUM and this will not speed it up. I drop the table and
> >> recreate it and insert one record and it speeds right back up takeing
> only
> >> 100 ms to do the query.
> >
> >This sounds like classic table / index bloat.
> >
> >Are you updating all 10,000 rows every 5 seconds?  Good lord, that's a
> >lot of updates.  If so, then do a vacuum immediately after the update
> >(or a delete), or change the system so it doesn't update every row every
> >time.
> >
> >Next time, try a vacuum full instead of a drop and recreate and see if
> >that helps.
> >

> >> I am fairly new to Postgres. What do I need to do to keep this table from
> >> slowing down?
> >
> >Vacuum this table more often.  You might want to look at using the
> >autovacuum daemon to do this for you.
> >
> >You might want to post a little more info on what, exactly, you're doing
> >to see if we can spot any obvious problems.
> >

> I have three indexes on this table. One index is a 1 column, one index is a
> 5 column multi and one is a 2 column multi. I have run EXPLAIN ANALYZE on
> all of my queries and they seem to be taking advantage of these indexes.
>
> Would three indexes of this sort be considered "index bloat"?

No, index bloat is a different problem.  In the days of yore, postgresql
had a tendency to grow its indexes over time without reclaiming lost
space in them, which lead to bloated indexes (back in the day, I once
had a 100k table with an 80 meg index after a while...  Now that is
bloat)

Today, index bloat is generally not a problem, as vacuum can reclaim
much more space in an index than it once could.  I'm guessing you're
suffering from a bloating of tables and indexes caused by not vacuuming
enough.  Use a vacuum full once to clear up the bloated tables and
indexes, and then regularly scheduled plain vacuums to keep them at a
reasonable size.

> I am updating no more than 200 records at a time. Here are some examples of
> my queries:
>
> UPDATE table SET boolean_col_1 = true WHERE boolean_col_2 = false
>
> UPDATE table SET (several columns = something) WHERE char_col_1 = 'blah' AND
> int4_col_1 = 11
>
> UPDATE table SET boolean_col_1 = true WHERE boolean_col_2 = false AND
> boolean_col_3 = false AND  boolean_col_4 = false AND  boolean_col_5 = false
> AND  boolean_col_6 = false

OK.  But how many are you updating between regular vacuums?  That's the
real issue.  If your regular vacuums aren't often enough, postgresql
starts lengthening the tables instead of reusing the space in them that
was freed by the last updates / deletes.

Keep in mind, that in postgresql, all updates are really insert / delete
pairs, as far as storage is concerned.  So, updates create dead tuples
just like deletes would.

> Is my use of indexes correct?

Seems good to me.

Re: Speed problems

От
"Warren Bell"

I have installed pg_autovacuum and also did a VACUUM FULL on the tables.
Speed has improved quite a bit.

Are there any set rules on what the pg_autovacuum -v and -V arguments should
be set to?

I went with the defaults

Thanks for your help,

Re: Speed problems

От
John Fabiani
Дата:
On Wednesday 14 September 2005 08:23, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> OK.  But how many are you updating between regular vacuums?  That's the
> real issue.  If your regular vacuums aren't often enough, postgresql
> starts lengthening the tables instead of reusing the space in them that
> was freed by the last updates / deletes.
>
> Keep in mind, that in postgresql, all updates are really insert / delete
> pairs, as far as storage is concerned.  So, updates create dead tuples
> just like deletes would.
>
> > Is my use of indexes correct?
>
> Seems good to me.

Ok but this does seem to be a not a lot of records.  Even if the user updated
500 times a day (500 * 200) will only add 100000 records.  I would not expect
that performance would suffer adding 100000 per day for at least a week.
Even if the number was double (in case I mis-read the user prior emails)
200000 or 1000000 at the end of the week would not account for the slow down?
Or am I miss reading?
John

Re: Speed problems

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 21:06, John Fabiani wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 08:23, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> > OK.  But how many are you updating between regular vacuums?  That's the
> > real issue.  If your regular vacuums aren't often enough, postgresql
> > starts lengthening the tables instead of reusing the space in them that
> > was freed by the last updates / deletes.
> >
> > Keep in mind, that in postgresql, all updates are really insert / delete
> > pairs, as far as storage is concerned.  So, updates create dead tuples
> > just like deletes would.
> >
> > > Is my use of indexes correct?
> >
> > Seems good to me.
>
> Ok but this does seem to be a not a lot of records.  Even if the user updated
> 500 times a day (500 * 200) will only add 100000 records.  I would not expect
> that performance would suffer adding 100000 per day for at least a week.
> Even if the number was double (in case I mis-read the user prior emails)
> 200000 or 1000000 at the end of the week would not account for the slow down?
> Or am I miss reading?

I think he was saying he updated 200 at a go, but he was doing a LOT of
updates each day.  Not sure, I don't have the OP in my email client
anymore.