Обсуждение: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Matthew Peter
Дата:
Wondering if there's a way for postgres to return how
many elements are in a array as a single integer? For
instance, returning 10 (items in array) instead of
[-5:4]

Also, is there a way to return the position of an item
in a array?

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Tony Wasson
Дата:
On 9/20/05, Matthew Peter <survivedsushi@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Wondering if there's a way for postgres to return how
> many elements are in a array as a single integer? For
> instance, returning 10 (items in array) instead of
> [-5:4]
>
> Also, is there a way to return the position of an item
> in a array?

Try using array_upper and specify which array dimension.

from http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/arrays.htm:

"array_dims produces a text result, which is convenient for people to
read but perhaps not so convenient for programs. Dimensions can also
be retrieved with array_upper and array_lower, which return the upper
and lower bound of a specified array dimension, respectively."

pg8=# SELECT array_dims('{4,2,3,5,6}'::INT[]);
 array_dims
------------
 [1:5]
(1 row)

pg8=# SELECT array_upper('{4,2,3,5,6}'::INT[],1);
 array_upper
-------------
           5

Re: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Guy Fraser
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-21-09 at 07:48 -0700, Tony Wasson wrote:
> On 9/20/05, Matthew Peter <survivedsushi@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Wondering if there's a way for postgres to return how
> > many elements are in a array as a single integer? For
> > instance, returning 10 (items in array) instead of
> > [-5:4]
> >
> > Also, is there a way to return the position of an item
> > in a array?
> >

> Try using array_upper and specify which array dimension.
>
> from http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/arrays.htm:
>
> "array_dims produces a text result, which is convenient for people to
> read but perhaps not so convenient for programs. Dimensions can also
> be retrieved with array_upper and array_lower, which return the upper
> and lower bound of a specified array dimension, respectively."
>

> pg8=# SELECT array_dims('{4,2,3,5,6}'::INT[]);
>  array_dims
> ------------
>  [1:5]
> (1 row)
>
> pg8=# SELECT array_upper('{4,2,3,5,6}'::INT[],1);
>  array_upper
> -------------
>            5

So to answer his question he would likely want :

SELECT
 array_upper(item,1) - array_upper(item,0) + 1 as elements
FROM
 arraytest ;

Re: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> writes:

> So to answer his question he would likely want :
>
> SELECT
>  array_upper(item,1) - array_upper(item,0) + 1 as elements
> FROM
>  arraytest ;

Note that this doesn't work for empty arrays.
It will return NULL instead of 0.

--
greg

Re: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Guy Fraser
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-22-09 at 12:43 -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> writes:
>
> > So to answer his question he would likely want :
> >
> > SELECT
> >  array_upper(item,1) - array_upper(item,0) + 1 as elements
> > FROM
> >  arraytest ;
>
> Note that this doesn't work for empty arrays.
> It will return NULL instead of 0.
Your response was not at all helpfull, I would like to
encourage you to expand on what I put off the top of my
head.

I have not used array_upper() before, and the question was
how to return the total number of elements, not how to
handle NULL and empty arrays.

One could construct a fully logic compliant routine using
CASE and IF NULL to generate the type of response you want
when checking empty or NULL arrays.

If you have something to add then provide details. If you
are just trying to seem like you know more than everyone
else then don't bother posting.

Re: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 14:16:48 -0600,
  Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-22-09 at 12:43 -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> > Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> writes:
> >
> > > So to answer his question he would likely want :
> > >
> > > SELECT
> > >  array_upper(item,1) - array_upper(item,0) + 1 as elements
> > > FROM
> > >  arraytest ;
> >
> > Note that this doesn't work for empty arrays.
> > It will return NULL instead of 0.
> Your response was not at all helpfull, I would like to
> encourage you to expand on what I put off the top of my
> head.
>
> I have not used array_upper() before, and the question was
> how to return the total number of elements, not how to
> handle NULL and empty arrays.

I think his point was that your example was going to give the wrong answer
for empty arrays, which is relevant to your question. The normal way around
that is to use the COALESCE function.

Re: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Guy Fraser
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-22-09 at 21:52 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 14:16:48 -0600,
>   Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> wrote:

> > > Note that this doesn't work for empty arrays.
> > > It will return NULL instead of 0.
> > Your response was not at all helpfull, I would like to
> > encourage you to expand on what I put off the top of my
> > head.
> >
> > I have not used array_upper() before, and the question was
> > how to return the total number of elements, not how to
> > handle NULL and empty arrays.
>
> I think his point was that your example was going to give the wrong answer
> for empty arrays, which is relevant to your question. The normal way around
> that is to use the COALESCE function.
OK what I jotted down was totally wrong.

This is slightly more correct :

SELECT
 array_upper(item,1) - array_lower(item,1) + 1 as elements
FROM
 arraytest ;

Without do a tonne of research, I can not refine this to handle
all circumstances.

Can someone point me to documentation that explains the function
better than :

Dimensions can also be retrieved with array_upper and array_lower, which
return the upper and lower bound of a specified array dimension,
respectively.

The table "Table 9-36. array Functions" does not explain how empty
and null arrays are handled either.

How do array_upper() and array_lower() respond to :
1) NULL
2) Empty Array
3) Nonexistent requested dimension

Also is there a function that specifies how many dimensions the
array has?

Re: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Matthew Peter

--- Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-22-09 at 21:52 -0500, Bruno Wolff III
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 14:16:48 -0600,
> >   Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> wrote:

> want :

> 1 as elements

> > > Your response was not at all helpfull, I would
> like to
> > > encourage you to expand on what I put off the
> top of my
> > > head.
> > >
> > > I have not used array_upper() before, and the
> question was
> > > how to return the total number of elements, not
> how to
> > > handle NULL and empty arrays.
> >
> > I think his point was that your example was going
> to give the wrong answer
> > for empty arrays, which is relevant to your
> question. The normal way around
> > that is to use the COALESCE function.
> OK what I jotted down was totally wrong.
>
> This is slightly more correct :
>
> SELECT
>  array_upper(item,1) - array_lower(item,1) + 1 as
> elements
> FROM
>  arraytest ;
>
> Without do a tonne of research, I can not refine
> this to handle
> all circumstances.
>
> Can someone point me to documentation that explains
> the function
> better than :
>
> Dimensions can also be retrieved with array_upper
> and array_lower, which
> return the upper and lower bound of a specified
> array dimension,
> respectively.
>
> The table "Table 9-36. array Functions" does not
> explain how empty
> and null arrays are handled either.
>
> How do array_upper() and array_lower() respond to :
> 1) NULL
> 2) Empty Array
> 3) Nonexistent requested dimension
>
> Also is there a function that specifies how many
> dimensions the
> array has?

That was exactly the answer I was looking for when I
posted the question. Now if there was a function to
delete a position in the array....

ie set array1 = array_delete_at(array1,5) where 5 is
the position to delete

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Guy Fraser
Дата:
On Fri, 2005-23-09 at 09:48 -0700, Matthew Peter wrote:

> --- Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> wrote:

...snip...
> > OK what I jotted down was totally wrong.
> >
> > This is slightly more correct :
> >
> > SELECT
> >  array_upper(item,1) - array_lower(item,1) + 1 as
> > elements
> > FROM
> >  arraytest ;
> >
> > Without do a tonne of research, I can not refine
> > this to handle
> > all circumstances.
> >
> > Can someone point me to documentation that explains
> > the function
> > better than :
> >
> > Dimensions can also be retrieved with array_upper
> > and array_lower, which
> > return the upper and lower bound of a specified
> > array dimension,
> > respectively.
> >
> > The table "Table 9-36. array Functions" does not
> > explain how empty
> > and null arrays are handled either.
> >
> > How do array_upper() and array_lower() respond to :
> > 1) NULL
> > 2) Empty Array
> > 3) Nonexistent requested dimension
> >
> > Also is there a function that specifies how many
> > dimensions the
> > array has?
> >

> That was exactly the answer I was looking for when I
> posted the question. Now if there was a function to
> delete a position in the array....
>
> ie set array1 = array_delete_at(array1,5) where 5 is
> the position to delete

I hope someone else can answer that, the best I can do
is provide a link to the docs :

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-array.html

My best guess is that you need to "walk" the array and
drop the element you don't want. The way I currently
use arrays is I read the whole array into my application
the modify the array then update the whole array.

Unfortunately the arrays in PG are not associative and the
elements must be sequential. I only use arrays in limited
ways in PG because of earlier constraints, and have not
needed to investigate the newer features.

Good luck.

Re: array_dims array_lower/upper distance

От
Matthew Peter
Дата:
--- Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-23-09 at 09:48 -0700, Matthew Peter
> wrote:
> >
> > --- Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> wrote:
> >
> ...snip...
> > > OK what I jotted down was totally wrong.
> > >
> > > This is slightly more correct :
> > >
> > > SELECT
> > >  array_upper(item,1) - array_lower(item,1) + 1
> as
> > > elements
> > > FROM
> > >  arraytest ;
> > >
> > > Without do a tonne of research, I can not refine
> > > this to handle
> > > all circumstances.
> > >
> > > Can someone point me to documentation that
> explains
> > > the function
> > > better than :
> > >
> > > Dimensions can also be retrieved with
> array_upper
> > > and array_lower, which
> > > return the upper and lower bound of a specified
> > > array dimension,
> > > respectively.
> > >
> > > The table "Table 9-36. array Functions" does not
> > > explain how empty
> > > and null arrays are handled either.
> > >
> > > How do array_upper() and array_lower() respond
> to :
> > > 1) NULL
> > > 2) Empty Array
> > > 3) Nonexistent requested dimension
> > >
> > > Also is there a function that specifies how many
> > > dimensions the
> > > array has?
> > >

> > That was exactly the answer I was looking for when
> > posted the question. Now if there was a function
> > delete a position in the array....
> >
> > ie set array1 = array_delete_at(array1,5) where 5
> is
> > the position to delete
>
> I hope someone else can answer that, the best I can
> do
> is provide a link to the docs :

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-array.html

> My best guess is that you need to "walk" the array
> and
> drop the element you don't want. The way I currently
>
> use arrays is I read the whole array into my
> application
> the modify the array then update the whole array.
>
> Unfortunately the arrays in PG are not associative
> and the
> elements must be sequential. I only use arrays in
> limited
> ways in PG because of earlier constraints, and have
> not
> needed to investigate the newer features.
>
> Good luck.

Ya. I read the docs and the (limitedly useful) Douglas
book. I'm just playing around with arrays. Michael
Fuhr suggested a intarray_del_elem() function. You may
want to take a look at it too?

MP

http://mail.yahoo.com