Обсуждение: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
J B
Дата:
Guys,

I was interested in researching a few items regarding bug reports in
PostgreSQL, but I can't seem to find what the project uses as a bug
tracker. I see the web form and mailing list, but I can't imagine
they're not captured in some central repository.

Thanks!

John

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
J B wrote:

>Guys,
>
>I was interested in researching a few items regarding bug reports in
>PostgreSQL, but I can't seem to find what the project uses as a bug
>tracker. I see the web form and mailing list, but I can't imagine
>they're not captured in some central repository.
>
>Could someone point me in the right direction?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/

Is about as central as you get AFAIK.

Speaking of which, I have a customer running PostgreSQL/Bugzilla right
now and it works
well for them. Is anyone interested is having us set this up for the
community?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Thanks!
>
>John

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 07:59:16PM -0400, J B wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I was interested in researching a few items regarding bug reports in
> PostgreSQL, but I can't seem to find what the project uses as a bug
> tracker. I see the web form and mailing list, but I can't imagine
> they're not captured in some central repository.

Imagine harder. :)

Search the pgsql-bugs archives.

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> J B wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I was interested in researching a few items regarding bug reports in
>> PostgreSQL, but I can't seem to find what the project uses as a bug
>> tracker. I see the web form and mailing list, but I can't imagine
>> they're not captured in some central repository.
>>
>> Could someone point me in the right direction?
>>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/
>
> Is about as central as you get AFAIK.
>
> Speaking of which, I have a customer running PostgreSQL/Bugzilla right
> now and it works well for them. Is anyone interested is having us set
> this up for the community?

To date, any discussions of setting up a BugTracker have ended with the
developers themselves stating that they wouldn't use it, and have no
interest in it ... so, you'd have to have someone you could assign as
'liason' to handle monitoring -hackers and updating tickets, etc ... :(

This, like GPL vs BSD, comes up about every 3 months or so :)

----

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 05:20:13PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> J B wrote:
>
> >Guys,
> >
> >I was interested in researching a few items regarding bug reports in
> >PostgreSQL, but I can't seem to find what the project uses as a bug
> >tracker. I see the web form and mailing list, but I can't imagine
> >they're not captured in some central repository.
> >
> >Could someone point me in the right direction?
> >

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/
>
> Is about as central as you get AFAIK.
>
> Speaking of which, I have a customer running PostgreSQL/Bugzilla right
> now and it works
> well for them. Is anyone interested is having us set this up for the
> community?

IIRC the last time this was brought up it was violently shot-down on
-hackers (and the fact that bugzilla didn't directly support PostgreSQL
back then had nothing to do with it).

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
>IIRC the last time this was brought up it was violently shot-down on
>-hackers (and the fact that bugzilla didn't directly support PostgreSQL
>back then had nothing to do with it).

Yep, but you never know. Someday it just may happen. The community got
Linus to
stop using his email box for patches, maybe someday we will get there too.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> IIRC the last time this was brought up it was violently shot-down on
>> -hackers (and the fact that bugzilla didn't directly support PostgreSQL
>> back then had nothing to do with it).
>>

> Yep, but you never know. Someday it just may happen. The community got
> Linus to stop using his email box for patches, maybe someday we will get
> there too.

Just as a suggestion/thought ... *if* you have the resources (or someone
else wants to step up to it), why not setup the bug tracker, work with the
-www guys on having the 'bug submission' stuff feed into it, and get a
liason in place between it and -hackers?  put the structure into place,
get ppl used to submitting/using it, and over time, it might be easier to
get the developers themselves to use it vs having a middle man?

There may be some developers that will go over relatively easily *once*
its in place, and others that stay resistent to it for awhile ...

----

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>> IIRC the last time this was brought up it was violently shot-down on
>>> -hackers (and the fact that bugzilla didn't directly support PostgreSQL
>>> back then had nothing to do with it).
>>>

>> Yep, but you never know. Someday it just may happen. The community
>> got Linus to stop using his email box for patches, maybe someday we
>> will get there too.
>

> Just as a suggestion/thought ... *if* you have the resources (or
> someone else wants to step up to it), why not setup the bug tracker,
> work with the -www guys on having the 'bug submission' stuff feed into
> it, and get a liason in place between it and -hackers?  put the
> structure into place, get ppl used to submitting/using it, and over
> time, it might be easier to get the developers themselves to use it vs
> having a middle man?
>
> There may be some developers that will go over relatively easily
> *once* its in place, and others that stay resistent to it for awhile ...

I have thought about that, however I would at least at some level want a
blessing. For example, if we did that would we do it with
pgFoundry bug tracking? Or would we use Trac? Or Bugzilla?

If we got some interest in a particular direction then I bet some people
(including us) would step up.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

Дата:
> I have thought about that, however I would at least at some level want a
> blessing. For example, if we did that would we do it with
> pgFoundry bug tracking? Or would we use Trac? Or Bugzilla?

I think the main thing that's killed previous proposals in this line
is that we could never get a consensus on which bug tracker to use.
Personally I'd be OK with Bugzilla, since I use it at Red Hat already,
but I know that some hate it violently.

There are also a set of issues involved in integrating any such project
with the pgsql-bugs list, which in the estimation of many of us is not
broken and does not need fixing.

Old-timers will recall that we already had one bad experience with an
early open-source bug tracker, which has left people a bit shy of the
concept too.  I think a large part of that had to do with confusion
between the purposes of bug *reporting* and bug *tracking*.  A mailing
list does very well for reporting issues that might be bugs, but not so
well for tracking the status of acknowledged bugs.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
Well, if we're considering some kind of trial stage I don't see why we
couldn't setup a few different trackers and see what people think.

Of course, that could well be setting us up for a bickshed big enough to
play NFL football in...

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:10:26PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I have thought about that, however I would at least at some level want a
> > blessing. For example, if we did that would we do it with
> > pgFoundry bug tracking? Or would we use Trac? Or Bugzilla?
>
> I think the main thing that's killed previous proposals in this line
> is that we could never get a consensus on which bug tracker to use.
> Personally I'd be OK with Bugzilla, since I use it at Red Hat already,
> but I know that some hate it violently.
>
> There are also a set of issues involved in integrating any such project
> with the pgsql-bugs list, which in the estimation of many of us is not
> broken and does not need fixing.
>
> Old-timers will recall that we already had one bad experience with an
> early open-source bug tracker, which has left people a bit shy of the
> concept too.  I think a large part of that had to do with confusion
> between the purposes of bug *reporting* and bug *tracking*.  A mailing
> list does very well for reporting issues that might be bugs, but not so
> well for tracking the status of acknowledged bugs.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Am Montag, den 10.10.2005, 19:33 -0500 schrieb Jim C. Nasby:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 05:20:13PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > J B wrote:
> IIRC the last time this was brought up it was violently shot-down on
> -hackers (and the fact that bugzilla didn't directly support PostgreSQL
> back then had nothing to do with it).

But trac (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/ ) does support it. I'm running
it for quite a time and very much like it. Of course, trac is SVN only,
so this might be a show stopper unfortunately :(

Regards
Tino

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Am Montag, den 10.10.2005, 22:12 -0300 schrieb Marc G. Fournier:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Just as a suggestion/thought ... *if* you have the resources (or someone
> else wants to step up to it), why not setup the bug tracker, work with the
> -www guys on having the 'bug submission' stuff feed into it, and get a

Btw. how do you work with the WWW guys? I _never_ ever got any answer.

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Just as a suggestion/thought ... *if* you have the resources (or
> > someone else wants to step up to it), why not setup the bug
> tracker,
> > work with the -www guys on having the 'bug submission'
> stuff feed into
> > it, and get a
>
> Btw. how do you work with the WWW guys? I _never_ ever got any answer.

Post to the -www list... From what I can tell in the archives, you've
never posted there, so you probably posted to the wrong place. (Yeah, it
may not always be clear, but this is where you should post)

//Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
J B
Дата:
> Old-timers will recall that we already had one bad experience with an
> early open-source bug tracker, which has left people a bit shy of the
> concept too.  I think a large part of that had to do with confusion
> between the purposes of bug *reporting* and bug *tracking*.  A mailing
> list does very well for reporting issues that might be bugs, but not so
> well for tracking the status of acknowledged bugs.

This "tracking" feature is crucial for us. We're working towards a
large scale deployment of PostgreSQL across our enterprise,  but not
having an easy way to get the status of all reported bugs against our
particular version isn't very comforting. Having a bug tracker in
place would make life much easier, and my advocacy job much less
trying.

I sincerely hope the team will consider using one...bugtraq is fine,
so is trac...just as long as one is in place.

Thanks,

JB

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Magnus Hagander schrieb:
>>>On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>Btw. how do you work with the WWW guys? I _never_ ever got any answer.
>

> Post to the -www list... From what I can tell in the archives, you've
> never posted there, so you probably posted to the wrong place. (Yeah, it
> may not always be clear, but this is where you should post)

Aha, well I posted twice, one time in the early stage of the new layout
directy to the names given to me... ok, I'll subscribe to another list
then ;)

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > I have thought about that, however I would at least at some
> level want
> > a blessing. For example, if we did that would we do it with
> pgFoundry
> > bug tracking? Or would we use Trac? Or Bugzilla?
>
> I think the main thing that's killed previous proposals in
> this line is that we could never get a consensus on which bug
> tracker to use.
> Personally I'd be OK with Bugzilla, since I use it at Red Hat
> already, but I know that some hate it violently.
>
> There are also a set of issues involved in integrating any
> such project with the pgsql-bugs list, which in the
> estimation of many of us is not broken and does not need fixing.

Or integrating them with the web. Not sure if any of the "popular
bugtrackers" support that today, or if they all want to "be their own
site" that we'd link to. That'd work, of course, but it'd be nicer to
get something that actually looks like a part of the site. Without too
much work of course ;-)

> Old-timers will recall that we already had one bad experience
> with an early open-source bug tracker, which has left people
> a bit shy of the concept too.  I think a large part of that
> had to do with confusion between the purposes of bug
> *reporting* and bug *tracking*.  A mailing list does very
> well for reporting issues that might be bugs, but not so well
> for tracking the status of acknowledged bugs.

I think having an "open tracker" is definitly bad. It'll end up like a
lot of the sf.net projcets that have it - thousands of open tickets for
things that are not bugs, that nobody has the time to take care of.
Which makes it more or less worthless for tracking, and also makes the
project look really bad (hey, they have thousands of bugs!)

So we'd either want a tracker that is not open for direct submittions
(mail -> pgsql-bugs, and then have somebody move it into the tracker
once it's confirmed. Or some way where submitted issues don't show up in
the bug list until somebody has verified them (but they have to go out
to the list, of course, so ppl know it should be done).

Not sure which of the packages provide that, but I'm sure somebody else
knows.

//Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Magnus Hagander schrieb:
>>>I have thought about that, however I would at least at some

> Or integrating them with the web. Not sure if any of the "popular
> bugtrackers" support that today, or if they all want to "be their own
> site" that we'd link to. That'd work, of course, but it'd be nicer to
> get something that actually looks like a part of the site. Without too
> much work of course ;-)

This is at least true for Trac - you got the templates and you
can have it work in a virtual directory so to say.

(No, I dont get money from them ;-))

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:27:04AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Or integrating them with the web. Not sure if any of the "popular
> bugtrackers" support that today, or if they all want to "be their own
> site" that we'd link to. That'd work, of course, but it'd be nicer to
> get something that actually looks like a part of the site. Without too
> much work of course ;-)

My personal favourite bug-tracker is debbugs, as used by the Debian
Project. You can submit bugs by email, they get forwarded to
maintainers (which can be a mailing list) via email. When they reply,
the reply is also stored with the bug. Bugs can be tagged. AFAIK you
can subscribe to bugs so if anything is added or altered you are told
about it.

However, the web interface is sparse which puts some people off.
There's also no graphical interface to manipulate the bugs with. On the
other hand, you can have a thread on a mailing list about the bug and
it will be archived with the bug.

Note, I'm not volunteering. Nor do I know how hard it would be setup.
However, I've never seen another bug system quite like it. I like it so
perhaps it's something people here might like.

Have a nice,

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 11 October 2005 02:25, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Am Montag, den 10.10.2005, 22:12 -0300 schrieb Marc G. Fournier:
> > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Just as a suggestion/thought ... *if* you have the resources (or someone
> > else wants to step up to it), why not setup the bug tracker, work with
> > the -www guys on having the 'bug submission' stuff feed into it, and get

> Btw. how do you work with the WWW guys? I _never_ ever got any answer.

What did you ask?

--
Robert Treat

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:
On Oct 11, 2005, at 2:23 AM, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> But trac (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/ ) does support it. I'm running
> it for quite a time and very much like it. Of course, trac is SVN
> only,
> so this might be a show stopper unfortunately :(

And there's Richard Hipp's CVSTRAC which seems to have heavily
influenced the above mentioned trac, which obviously works with CVS.
I personally use the SVN trac to great benefit.  It has helped our
organization get so much better organized and keeps everyone informed
of what is going on.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Russ Brown"
Дата:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:23:45 -0700, Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>
wrote:
> But trac (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/ ) does support it. I'm running
> it for quite a time and very much like it. Of course, trac is SVN only,
> so this might be a show stopper unfortunately :(
>
> Regards
> Tino

Trac is *very* nice. We're using it in combination with SVK: branching
made easy.

Trac's source/revision browser is excellent and SVK's merge tracking is
fast and very easy. I can't comment on the PostgreSQL implementation
though as we've been using it for quite a while: well before that came in
so we're still on the SQLite backend.

Has there ever been any discussion about moving away from CVS? We couldn't
possibly go back to it now.

--

Russ

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-11-10 at 14:43 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> My personal favourite bug-tracker is debbugs, as used by the Debian
> Project. You can submit bugs by email, they get forwarded to
> maintainers (which can be a mailing list) via email. When they reply,
> the reply is also stored with the bug. Bugs can be tagged. AFAIK you
> can subscribe to bugs so if anything is added or altered you are told
> about it.

I think debbugs is fairly close to what we'd need, for reasons stated
earlier:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-05/msg01156.php

(I think Bugzilla is *completely* the wrong tool for the Postgres
development model.)

I've heard vague comments from Debian people that the debbugs code is
kind of evil, although I haven't confirmed that myself. Writing a system
like this from scratch would not be much work, anyway...

-Neil

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:

> I think debbugs is fairly close to what we'd need, for reasons stated
> earlier:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-05/msg01156.php
>
> (I think Bugzilla is *completely* the wrong tool for the Postgres
> development model.)
>
> I've heard vague comments from Debian people that the debbugs code is
> kind of evil, although I haven't confirmed that myself. Writing a system
> like this from scratch would not be much work, anyway...

Well in fact debbugs was rewritten from scratch not long ago. They added lots
of new features and presumably made the code less evil. I suppose that's a big
presumption though :)

I agree that it would be a good match though. There's an email interface for
everything and a number of debian packages use a mailing list as the primary
contact which is how I imagine Postgres developers would like things set up.

--
greg

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:14:37AM -0700, Russ Brown wrote:
> Has there ever been any discussion about moving away from CVS? We couldn't
> possibly go back to it now.

Many times. See -hackers archives.

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
Stuart Bishop
Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>

>>I think debbugs is fairly close to what we'd need, for reasons stated
>>earlier:
>>
>>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-05/msg01156.php
>>
>>(I think Bugzilla is *completely* the wrong tool for the Postgres
>>development model.)
>>
>>I've heard vague comments from Debian people that the debbugs code is
>>kind of evil, although I haven't confirmed that myself. Writing a system
>>like this from scratch would not be much work, anyway...

The bug tracker component of Launchpad (aka Malone) is heavily influenced by
debbugs, and under active and rapid development.

https://launchpad.net/products/pgsql/+bugs

Its designed to allow tracking of bugs both in the 'upstream' sourcecode,
forks and commercial varients, and in the packages distributed by OS vendors.

Developers hang out in #launchpad on freenode.net

> Well in fact debbugs was rewritten from scratch not long ago. They added lots
> of new features and presumably made the code less evil. I suppose that's a big
> presumption though :)
>
> I agree that it would be a good match though. There's an email interface for
> everything and a number of debian packages use a mailing list as the primary
> contact which is how I imagine Postgres developers would like things set up.

Current email interface documentation for Malone is on our wiki at
https://wiki.launchpad.canonical.com/MaloneEmailInterfaceUserDoc

We use it internally the way you describe.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Cristian Prieto"
Дата:
Why not something like Mantis bug tracker? (http://www.mantisbt.org)

>>I think debbugs is fairly close to what we'd need, for reasons stated
>>earlier:
>>
>>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-05/msg01156.php
>>
>>(I think Bugzilla is *completely* the wrong tool for the Postgres
>>development model.)
>>
>>I've heard vague comments from Debian people that the debbugs code is
>>kind of evil, although I haven't confirmed that myself. Writing a system
>>like this from scratch would not be much work, anyway...

The bug tracker component of Launchpad (aka Malone) is heavily influenced by
debbugs, and under active and rapid development.

https://launchpad.net/products/pgsql/+bugs

Its designed to allow tracking of bugs both in the 'upstream' sourcecode,
forks and commercial varients, and in the packages distributed by OS
vendors.

Developers hang out in #launchpad on freenode.net

> Well in fact debbugs was rewritten from scratch not long ago. They added
lots
> of new features and presumably made the code less evil. I suppose that's a
big
> presumption though :)
>
> I agree that it would be a good match though. There's an email interface
for
> everything and a number of debian packages use a mailing list as the
primary
> contact which is how I imagine Postgres developers would like things set
up.

Current email interface documentation for Malone is on our wiki at
https://wiki.launchpad.canonical.com/MaloneEmailInterfaceUserDoc

We use it internally the way you describe.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:35:18AM -0600, Cristian Prieto wrote:
> Why not something like Mantis bug tracker? (http://www.mantisbt.org)

Because according to that URL:

Mantis is a php/MySQL/web based bugtracking system.

Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

От
"Guy Rouillier"
Дата:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:35:18AM -0600, Cristian Prieto wrote:
>> Why not something like Mantis bug tracker? (http://www.mantisbt.org)
>
> Because according to that URL:
>
> Mantis is a php/MySQL/web based bugtracking system.

Actually, the newest version also supports PostgreSQL quite well.  I set
it up just to check it out, and even the automated database generator
works fine with PG.  Click the download link and then 1.0.0rc2.

--
Guy Rouillier