Обсуждение: save history error, ignorable?

save history error, ignorable?

От
Scott Frankel

I just upgraded from postgres 7.x.x to 8.1.0 and am getting the following error from cmd-line psql:

    could not save history to file "<my_home_dir>/.psql_history": Invalid argument

Searching the archives, I found a thread about this error wherein the poster "solved" the problem by commenting out the reporting code in the source file.  Tom's reply (*) suggests a discrepancy in libraries on MacOSX.  Nonetheless, I *seem* to have the intended functionality (readline history on the cmd-line), in spite of the error msg.

Questions:

- Is the error msg ignorable?

- Else, is there a post-compile fix for the problem?

- Does the correct lib exist on MacOSX?  If so, is there doco on how to specify its use on compiling?

My platform:

MacOSX v10.4.2
PostgreSQL v8.1.0

Thanks in advance!
Scott

(*) [ from Tom Lane, via archives search ]
The Postgres code in that area hasn't changed at all.  Maybe in this
build you linked against Apple's builtin libedit instead of libreadline?
libedit seems to have a bizarre definition of the result value from
write_history()

Re: save history error, ignorable?

Дата:
Scott Frankel <leknarf@pacbell.net> writes:
> [ Mac OS X ]
>      could not save history to file "<my_home_dir>/.psql_history":
> Invalid argument

> Searching the archives, I found a thread about this error wherein the
> poster "solved" the problem by commenting out the reporting code in
> the source file.

If you look back further, there is more discussion of this several
months back.  It seems that libedit and libreadline are not compatible
about how write_history() reports errors.  We haven't figured out a
nice solution for this yet.

> - Is the error msg ignorable?

Pretty much.

> - Does the correct lib exist on MacOSX?

You can grab libreadline and install it into /usr/local, or use the
version from Fink.

            regards, tom lane

Re: save history error, ignorable?

От