Обсуждение: Does this look ethical to you?

Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
I was doing a search on Google and found this link on Navicat's web page

http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Lightning_Admin/index.php

I am kind of ticked off that they are hijacking my product name this way.

This isn't really postgresal related but I was just wondering what
others thought about this.

Thanks,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Tony Caduto wrote:
> I was doing a search on Google and found this link on Navicat's web page
>
> http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Lightning_Admin/index.php
>
> I am kind of ticked off that they are hijacking my product name this way.
>
> This isn't really postgresal related but I was just wondering what
> others thought about this.

I don't have a problem with it, especially since they mention it is
their version of PostgreSQL (they use our name).

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Tony Caduto wrote:
> I was doing a search on Google and found this link on Navicat's web page
>
> http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Lightning_Admin/index.php
>
> I am kind of ticked off that they are hijacking my product name this way.
>
> This isn't really postgresal related but I was just wondering what
> others thought about this.
Well IMHO it is PostgreSQL related as you are both offering a PostgreSQL
product. It is not
uncommon to do something like this as a keyword on Google Adwords or
something but
to place a direct URL....

I would call it fairly shady. I am guessing that by doing so they are
getting placement within search
engines or something.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tony Caduto wrote:
>
>> I was doing a search on Google and found this link on Navicat's web page
>>
>> http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Lightning_Admin/index.php
>>
>> I am kind of ticked off that they are hijacking my product name this way.
>>
>> This isn't really postgresal related but I was just wondering what
>> others thought about this.
>>

> I don't have a problem with it, especially since they mention it is
> their version of PostgreSQL (they use our name).

I might be misunderstanding your point Bruce but I believe Tony's
problem is not that they are using
PostgreSQL's name but they are using Pg Lightning in their name which is
Tony's product not
Navicats..

Think about as if Command Prompt would to start using SRAAPowergres in
their URL's..

At least that I how I read it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tony Caduto wrote:
> >
> >> I was doing a search on Google and found this link on Navicat's web page
> >>
> >> http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Lightning_Admin/index.php
> >>
> >> I am kind of ticked off that they are hijacking my product name this way.
> >>
> >> This isn't really postgresal related but I was just wondering what
> >> others thought about this.
> >>

> > I don't have a problem with it, especially since they mention it is
> > their version of PostgreSQL (they use our name).
> >
> I might be misunderstanding your point Bruce but I believe Tony's
> problem is not that they are using
> PostgreSQL's name but they are using Pg Lightning in their name which is
> Tony's product not
> Navicats..
>
> Think about as if Command Prompt would to start using SRAAPowergres in
> their URL's..
>
> At least that I how I read it.

Oh, I thought they were shipping PG lighening admin too.  The URL no
longer works so I wonder if they thought better of the practice.

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Tony Caduto wrote:

> I would call it fairly shady. I am guessing that by doing so they are
> getting placement within search
> engines or something.

Hi Joshua,
Yep, that's the part that I don't like.
Using Postgresql in there is one thing as it's good because you have to
have Postgresql in order to use any admin program.

I once by mistake used Instant Messenger in a title on one of my pages
and had links that had Instant Messenger and AOL had a cow and made me
remove the links.   I don't see how Navicat using PG Lightning Admin in
their links and title is any different.

They must be threatend by my product :-)

I did ask them nicely to remove the link, we shall see.

Thanks for the input.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
brew@theMode.com
Дата:
Tony.....

> I was doing a search on Google and found this link on Navicat's web page
>
> http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Lightning_Admin/index.php
>
> I am kind of ticked off that they are hijacking my product name this way.

Well, technically they aren't hijacking your product name, they are
hijacking some of your potential users by putting your product name in the
page title and page url and saying they have a replacement that's better.

It sucks.

However, there are some positives.

They didn't put your product name in the page keywords.

It makes them look bad, sort of like when politicians sling mud.  I make
it a point NEVER to vote for a candidate that does that.  (Obviously I
vote for a lot of Independents).

They are giving your product some extra credence by even using it as a
measuring stick to theirs.

But it still sucks......

Occasionally I find somebody stealing my Musicians Classified Listings and
I've had the same ticked off feeling.  In the long run I just grin and
take it (and do what I can to make it harder for other sites to steal
listings, but I can't think how you could do something like that in this
situation).

Maybe if you take the high road you could work something out that would
help you both?

Well, good luck with it....

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com
     and my Musician's Online Database Exchange http://www.TheMode.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Oh, I thought they were shipping PG lighening admin too.  The URL no
> longer works so I wonder if they thought better of the practice.

No, PG Lightning Admin is my product name, and I think they are doing
something with a link to my page in their page because my page is down
now also , something is really fishy with Navicat.

Seems odd that my ISP is down and their page has a input problem...hmmm

I did send them a email about it about 1/2 hour ago, so maybe they are
in the process of fixing this issue.

Thanks for your input on this guys.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
brew@theMode.com
Дата:
Tony.....

> Maybe if you take the high road you could work something out that would
> help you both?

Well, since the page is gone already I'd say both parties seem to be
playing fair.

Good deal!

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com
     and my Musician's Online Database Exchange http://www.TheMode.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"George Pavlov"
Дата:
they have the same kind of page setup for pg Admin:

http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Admin/index.php

this one renders...

both pages seem to tell robots not to cache them, so can't view a cached
view on google.

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
brew@theMode.com wrote:

> Well, since the page is gone already I'd say both parties seem to be
> playing fair.
>
> Good deal!
>
> brew

I don't know about that, the link is still there, it just gives a error
of No input file specified, which just indicates the index.php in
http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Lightning_Admin/ is gone or having a problem.

I asked them nicely to remove it within 24 hours, so we shall see.

Thanks again for the input.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I don't know about that, the link is still there, it just gives a
> error of No input file specified, which just indicates the index.php
> in http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Lightning_Admin/ is gone or having a
> problem.
>
> I asked them nicely to remove it within 24 hours, so we shall see.

Well the could just have a generic url rewriter....

> Thanks again for the input.

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
George Pavlov wrote:
> they have the same kind of page setup for pg Admin:
>
> http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Admin/index.php
>
> this one renders...
>
> both pages seem to tell robots not to cache them, so can't view a cached
> view on google.

At least PG Admin is free software and doing that is not really hurting
anyone since (at least I don't think) no one is making money off of PG
Admin III.

I do mention my product as a PG Admin III alternative but I would never
use Navicat or EMS PG Manager by name anywhere on my site. I use words
like "Other Companies" etc.

I would like to know how they get such good placment on all the search
engines, you do a search on "Postgresql GUI admin" and all you get on
the first page is their stuff.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
the blue links at the top (as it states in the top right) are sponsor'd
links ... they pay for those to be there, and, I'd imagine, pay quite
heavily :(

----

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> George Pavlov wrote:
> > they have the same kind of page setup for pg Admin:
> >
> > http://pgsql.navicat.com/PG_Admin/index.php
> >
> > this one renders...
> >
> > both pages seem to tell robots not to cache them, so can't view a
> > cached view on google.
>

> At least PG Admin is free software and doing that is not
> really hurting anyone since (at least I don't think) no one
> is making money off of PG Admin III.
>
> I do mention my product as a PG Admin III alternative but I
> would never use Navicat or EMS PG Manager by name anywhere on
> my site. I use words like "Other Companies" etc.

If you don't use "other companies" by name, you shouldn't use pgAdmin by
name either, IMHO. But as long as you list it as "alternative for ...",
it should be just fine to list any product name, as long as any
comparison is fair. (And if it's not fair, you should just take it off.

Now, I think actually putting it in the *title* of your site is not a
nice way to play. Again, IMHO of course.

I don't buy the argument that it makes a difference wether people pay
for the product or not. There are still people putting considerable
amount of work into pgAdmin, as with most opensource products. I don't
see why they should be treated differently from people putting work in
and getting paid for it.

> I would like to know how they get such good placment on all
> the search engines, you do a search on "Postgresql GUI admin"
> and all you get on the first page is their stuff.

You mean like the way sticking "pgadmin" in the title of a page not
related with it will get you traffic not "meant" to go there?
It's not as "bad" as sticking it in the URL, but in my book it's
certainly not far off.

In this case, that looks like paid links. And "spamming" every download
site they can find. Sort of like any search for "pgadmin alternative"
brings up links like http://www.soft3k.com/kw/pgadmin-alternative.htm.

The idea is to match the url and title to the keywords which will bring
the results higher up in teh search. Your main point (per the title of
the site) is "pgadmin III alternative". Theirs is, again per the title
of the site, "the worlds best gui for windows, linux and macos x".

(Your site comes back up on the ranking if you put in "postgresql gui
admin client", because then it takes over from the pgadmin part, I
guess)

//Magnus

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Dave Page"

There most certainly are companies making money from pgAdmin, including
at least 2 of the most well known large PostgreSQL companies. In
addition to potentially hurting them, you are trading off our long
established name, which to add insult to injury you haven't even spelt
or formatted correctly (it is, and has always been pgAdmin)!

> > I do mention my product as a PG Admin III alternative but I
> > would never use Navicat or EMS PG Manager by name anywhere on
> > my site. I use words like "Other Companies" etc.

If it helps at all, we ask our supporters to follow this guideline when
setting up keywords etc on software directory type sites:

"These should reflect any aspect of what pgAdmin does, and what it works
with. <b>Under no circumstances should you include competitors company
or product names in keywords.</b> "

I would appreciate it if you would hold yourself to a similar standard
and stop using pgAdmin's name to promote your product.

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:

> There most certainly are companies making money from pgAdmin, including
> at least 2 of the most well known large PostgreSQL companies. In
> addition to potentially hurting them, you are trading off our long
> established name, which to add insult to injury you haven't even spelt
> or formatted correctly (it is, and has always been pgAdmin)!

Hi Dave,
Those companies simply bundle pgAdmin III, they don't sell it, there is
a big difference.  I know for a fact the ones you are talking about and
the version they bundle have no changes over the stock one at all.

I don't think mentioning a product as a alternative to pgAdmin III is
wrong since pgAdmin III has such a big advantage being distributed with
the Windows version of Postgresql.  It almost has monopoly written on it
since the user is not given any idea that there is anything else
available. At least you are not forced to install it, but still a
HUGE,HUGE advantage over any other competing product.

pgAdmin does not play fair either, if you want to talk fair maybe a link
should be placed in the windows pgAdmin installer informing users of
other comercially available options.

Thanks for the heads up on the spelling, I was not aware it was spelled
like that.

Later,

Tony

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Dave Page"

One of the two has extensively modified it. I don't know about the
other.

Whether or not the sell it seperately is not the point though - they do
sell it as part of the product suite they offer.

> I don't think mentioning a product as a alternative to pgAdmin III is
> wrong since pgAdmin III has such a big advantage being
> distributed with
> the Windows version of Postgresql.  It almost has monopoly
> written on it
> since the user is not given any idea that there is anything else
> available. At least you are not forced to install it, but still a
> HUGE,HUGE advantage over any other competing product.

It's open source and is certainly the best option a present to bundle
with the installer. If you want to open source PG Lightning Admin, and
add the missing features that pgAdmin has such as Slony support, job
scheduling, graphical explain and UI translations into a number of
different languages, then I'm sure Magnus and I would be happy to look
at including it.

> pgAdmin does not play fair either, if you want to talk fair
> maybe a link
> should be placed in the windows pgAdmin installer informing users of
> other comercially available options.

By that token, every Linux distribution would have to tell users about
MS Windows whilst it was installing. Does the fact that they don't mean
they aren't playing fair? Should the PostgreSQL distributions also
mention Oracle or DB2?

Regards, Dave

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > There most certainly are companies making money from pgAdmin,
> > including at least 2 of the most well known large PostgreSQL
> > companies. In addition to potentially hurting them, you are trading
> > off our long established name, which to add insult to injury you
> > haven't even spelt or formatted correctly (it is, and has
> always been pgAdmin)!
>
> Hi Dave,
> Those companies simply bundle pgAdmin III, they don't sell
> it, there is a big difference.  I know for a fact the ones
> you are talking about and the version they bundle have no
> changes over the stock one at all.

Then your facts are wrong. At least one of the ones Dave is talking
about has done extensive modifications for it. And sell it as part of a
commercial product. (I would assume that's what he's talking about. If
not, this is a different company, but it's still there)

> I don't think mentioning a product as a alternative to
> pgAdmin III is wrong since pgAdmin III has such a big
> advantage being distributed with the Windows version of
> Postgresql.  It almost has monopoly written on it since the
> user is not given any idea that there is anything else
> available. At least you are not forced to install it, but
> still a HUGE,HUGE advantage over any other competing product.

We (pginstaller hat goes on) don't know of any competing products. We
will be happy to consider bundling any competing product, including PG
Lightning Admin. One of the most important things in order to be
distributed as part of an open source product is that the parts are open
source. If PGLA (or a lite version if necessary) is available under an
OSS license, we'll definitly consider bundling it.
(We have considered bundling phpPgAdmin, but haven't found a good way to
do it without dragging in a huge load of dependencies)

If that's not acceptable, there is nothing preventing you from
delivering a "Lightning PostgreSQL". All the parts that are in the
installer are open source, it's just a matter of making the modification
to put in pg lightning admin there. You might need to do something about
the GPL stuff, don't know for sure. The BSD parts definitly permit it.

But to be clear, I don't think it's wrong to say that PGLA is an
alternative to pgAdmin. Because that's what it is. It's just  a matter
of *how* it's done.

> pgAdmin does not play fair either, if you want to talk fair
> maybe a link should be placed in the windows pgAdmin
> installer informing users of other comercially available options.

You're kidding, right? Should we also mention in the PostgreSQL
installer that you should perhaps look at Oracle or DB2? And I don't see
most Linux distributions informing the users that Windows might be an
alternative.

We *do* put up links to commercial management software on the website
(PostgreSQL website, because that's where it applies), and we post news
about it. IMHO, that's about as far as "the project" should go when it
comes to "free marketing for commercial software".

//Magnus

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
> There most certainly are companies making money from pgAdmin, including
> at least 2 of the most well known large PostgreSQL companies. In
> addition to potentially hurting them, you are trading off our long
> established name, which to add insult to injury you haven't even spelt
> or formatted correctly (it is, and has always been pgAdmin)!

here is my keywords:

Postgresql,pg,admin,GUI,alternative,PSQL,pgsql,gui,postgres

I removed the III.

Not that it would ever have hurt pgAdmin III, but to show good faith I
changed them in my shareware pad file and on my homepage.

No how about getting a link or something in the win32 Postgresql
installer back to the commercial products page:
http://www.postgresql.org/download/commercial

Thanks,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Dave Page"

Deja-vu...

> We *do* put up links to commercial management software on the website
> (PostgreSQL website, because that's where it applies), and we
> post news
> about it. IMHO, that's about as far as "the project" should go when it
> comes to "free marketing for commercial software".

Agreed. And as I'm sure Tony will recall, not only do we offer that
service, it was actually me that created the page on the site originally
for Lightning Admin which was the first product listed!

Regards, Dave.

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 08:24 -0600, Tony Caduto wrote:
> No how about getting a link or something in the win32 Postgresql
> installer back to the commercial products page:
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/commercial

Are you kidding?

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Dave Page"

Thank you, however I'm more concerned with:

"PGLA has many advanced features not found in pgAdmin III,".

Aside from it being slightly misleading (not only are there not many
'advanced' things PGLA can do that pgAdmin can't, there are a similar
number that pgAdmin can, that PGLA can't), it is still attempting to
sell your product on our name. I would therefore ask that you either:

- Not mention pgAdmin at all, or
- Mention not only pgAdmin, but EDB Studio, Navicat, EMS PostgreSQL
Manager and other comparable products *as well*.

> No how about getting a link or something in the win32 Postgresql
> installer back to the commercial products page:
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/commercial

Why? It is an Open Source package, distributed for free, at the personal
expense of numerous people including myself. Why should we advertise
your or anyone elses commercial products for free?

Regards, Dave

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
>>You're kidding, right? Should we also mention in the PostgreSQL
>>installer that you should perhaps look at Oracle or DB2?

No I am not kidding, it's more akin to MS bundling a web browser and a
media player. That would be a more appropiate example.  MS does it to
destroy competitors. I understand that it is done with pgAdmin as a
convenience thing, but it has the side effect of hurting the 3rd party
market.  A couple of years ago there was no 3rd party admin tools for
Postgresql, pgAdmin was all that was available, but that has now changed
and that change should be looked at.

The fact of the matter is pgAdmin III is bundled in a manner that does
not let the user know there are alternatives available plain and simple.

Because of the way pgAdmin is bundled it is effectivly destroying the
third party admin market which should be a good thing for Postgresql not
viewed as a bad thing.

Look at Mysql, they never had a bundled admin tool until recently and it
  is the most popular psuedo open source
DB on the market.

People are always going to use pgAdmin because it is free, you will
never have a problem getting users, but it should not be at the expense
of the third party market.

I am just raising a valid concern, no need for flames.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Dave Page"

People don't usually complain about their inclusion - they tend to
complain about not being able to get rid of them. And most people that I
know well actually would rather they were there to save the hassle of
getting something else.

pgAdmin is easily removed, or may not be installed in the first place if
you prefer.

> I understand that it is done with pgAdmin as a
> convenience thing, but it has the side effect of hurting the
> 3rd party
> market.  A couple of years ago there was no 3rd party admin tools for
> Postgresql, pgAdmin was all that was available, but that has
> now changed
> and that change should be looked at.

What's that got to do with including a link in the pgAdmin installer
which is what you asked for?

> The fact of the matter is pgAdmin III is bundled in a manner
> that does
> not let the user know there are alternatives available plain
> and simple.
>
> Look at Mysql, they never had a bundled admin tool until
> recently and it
>   is the most popular psuedo open source
> DB on the market.

MySQL are irrelevant.

More relevant are the commercial databases that are comparable in
functionality to PostgreSQL, such as Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server. All of
which bundle admin tools, and none of which advertise third party tools
to my knowledge, or have ever been accused of unfair practices by doing
so.

As I said before, if you want to produce an OSS version of PGLA, then we
will happily consider including it in the installer.

We *will not* be advertising or bundling commercial products in
pgInstaller.

> People are always going to use pgAdmin because it is free, you will
> never have a problem getting users, but it should not be at
> the expense
> of the third party market.

Maybe you should contact Marc about advertising on postgresql.org, or
consider Google Ads. Either will get your far wider exposure on the
PostgreSQL website that is almost certainly visited by the vast majority
of PostgreSQL users.

> I am just raising a valid concern, no need for flames.

I don't flame, I blacklist.

Regards, Dave

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
> Thank you, however I'm more concerned with:
>
> "PGLA has many advanced features not found in pgAdmin III,".
>
> Aside from it being slightly misleading (not only are there not many
> 'advanced' things PGLA can do that pgAdmin can't, there are a similar
> number that pgAdmin can, that PGLA can't), it is still attempting to
> sell your product on our name. I would therefore ask that you either:
>
> - Not mention pgAdmin at all, or
> - Mention not only pgAdmin, but EDB Studio, Navicat, EMS PostgreSQL
> Manager and other comparable products *as well*.

I changed it to say PGLA has many advanced GUI features not found in
other admin tools.

I play fair Dave, and expect the same from you.

<Why? It is an Open Source package, distributed for free, at the personal
expense of numerous people including myself. Why should we advertise
your or anyone elses commercial products for free?>

Because the installer is not letting it be known that there are
alternatives available, I have had many people tell me they had no idea
there where was anything else available.

It does not matter that pgAdmin is open source, and letting users know
about alternatives is not free advertising, free advertising would be
you paying for my Google addwords account.

You guys are doing the same thing as Microsoft did with Internet
Explorer, let's include it so our browser/admin tool is all the user
knows about or sees when they install the OS, or in this case the SQL
server.

A link or blurb should be mentioned that there are other admin tools
available or pgAdmin should not be installed either.

I am not saying you put specifics about mine or anyone elses product
commercial or open source, but I think links back to the commercial and
open source pages on the postgresql site would be a fair thing to do.

You are not letting the user make a choice about which admin tool to use
or even try...

Just my opinion on the whole fair competition thing,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Dave Page"

Thank you.

Regards, Dave

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 07:56 -0600, Tony Caduto wrote:
> I don't think mentioning a product as a alternative to pgAdmin III is
> wrong since pgAdmin III has such a big advantage being distributed
> with
> the Windows version of Postgresql.  It almost has monopoly written on
> it
> since the user is not given any idea that there is anything else
> available. At least you are not forced to install it, but still a
> HUGE,HUGE advantage over any other competing product.

IMHO pgAdmin does not compete with other "products", since it is a
community-driven GUI for PostgreSQL. Look what you wrote yesterday:

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 20:52 -0600, Tony Caduto wrote:
> I am kind of ticked off that they are hijacking my product name this
> way.

PGLA is *your* *product*, but pgAdmin is community software. As stated
before, I think many people will be glad if you distribute PGLA (or a
part of it) as OSS.

So pgAdmin is apart from many other GUIs since it is OSS and has
excellent features like Slony, GE, etc. It deserves to be distributed
with Windows Installer, unless another Open Source GUI which may beat
pgAdmin with its features appears on the stage. Also it is available on
Linux and some *nix systems, which I think is one of the best features.

Regards,

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Peter Wilson
Дата:
Tony Caduto wrote:
>> Thank you, however I'm more concerned with:
>>
>> "PGLA has many advanced features not found in pgAdmin III,".
>>
>> Aside from it being slightly misleading (not only are there not many
>> 'advanced' things PGLA can do that pgAdmin can't, there are a similar
>> number that pgAdmin can, that PGLA can't), it is still attempting to
>> sell your product on our name. I would therefore ask that you either:
>>
>> - Not mention pgAdmin at all, or
>> - Mention not only pgAdmin, but EDB Studio, Navicat, EMS PostgreSQL
>> Manager and other comparable products *as well*.
>
> I changed it to say PGLA has many advanced GUI features not found in
> other admin tools.
>
> I play fair Dave, and expect the same from you.
>
> <Why? It is an Open Source package, distributed for free, at the personal
> expense of numerous people including myself. Why should we advertise
> your or anyone elses commercial products for free?>
>
> Because the installer is not letting it be known that there are
> alternatives available, I have had many people tell me they had no idea
> there where was anything else available.
>
> It does not matter that pgAdmin is open source, and letting users know
> about alternatives is not free advertising, free advertising would be
> you paying for my Google addwords account.
>
> You guys are doing the same thing as Microsoft did with Internet
> Explorer, let's include it so our browser/admin tool is all the user
> knows about or sees when they install the OS, or in this case the SQL
> server.
>
> A link or blurb should be mentioned that there are other admin tools
> available or pgAdmin should not be installed either.
>
> I am not saying you put specifics about mine or anyone elses product
> commercial or open source, but I think links back to the commercial and
> open source pages on the postgresql site would be a fair thing to do.
>
> You are not letting the user make a choice about which admin tool to use
> or even try...
>
> Just my opinion on the whole fair competition thing,

I'm not sure I understand some of these arguments, and I don't know the history, so as an uninformed third party who
can'tresist adding my tupennyw'th...

a) pgAdmin happens to be an admin tool that undercuts other tools in terms of price (free) and for some features

b) It has negotiated a distribution channel with partner organisations - something that any other organisation
presumablyis free to do. You just have
to have the right proposition (OSS) to entice that partner to work with you.

c) If you would like pgAdmin to mention that there are more expensive alternative products - would your product before
completinga sale recommend
that people go take a look at pgAdmin first and see whether that might be a better alternative?

Just out of interest - which product came first? I've been aware of pgAdmin for a long time - if it was there first
you'dhave to look closely at
whether there was a commercial business case for trying to get into that market with a broadly similar product.

A valid business case would obviously include making sure there were suitable accessible channels to market and
sufficientfunds to finance those
channels. OSS projects don't often have a cash generating base to fund those channels so they are always at a
disadvantageto commercial ventures.

Personally I'd be a little uneasy trying to build a commercial product that piggybacks on an OSS product simply because
ifit's something useful and
important, as opposed to niche, then someone will add an OSS version and, if they do their work properly, destroy my
market.

Pete
--
http://www.whitebeam.org
http://www.yellowhawk.co.uk

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
  > We (pginstaller hat goes on) don't know of any competing products. We
> will be happy to consider bundling any competing product, including PG
> Lightning Admin. One of the most important things in order to be
> distributed as part of an open source product is that the parts are open
> source. If PGLA (or a lite version if necessary) is available under an
> OSS license, we'll definitly consider bundling it.
> (We have considered bundling phpPgAdmin, but haven't found a good way to
> do it without dragging in a huge load of dependencies)

I don't wan't to be bundled, I just want it to be known that there are
alternatives available.

Postgresql is free, so what is the big deal about letting users know
about alternative admin tools comercial or open source?  It's not like
it would put pgAdmin or Postgresql out of business(it could only help).

It's a shame you don't see how the bundling of pgAdmin(in the current
way) is hurting the 3rd party community.

All that would be needed is a installer section at the end saying
something like:
In addition to pgAdmin III there are other opensource and commercial
admin products available, you can get more information here <link back
to postgresql home page>.

I don't see that as being detrimental to anyone and would certainly be
in fair play.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> <Why? It is an Open Source package, distributed for free, at
> the personal expense of numerous people including myself. Why
> should we advertise your or anyone elses commercial products
> for free?>
>
> Because the installer is not letting it be known that there
> are alternatives available, I have had many people tell me
> they had no idea there where was anything else available.
>
> It does not matter that pgAdmin is open source,

Yes, it does. That is *exactly* what matters.
If pgAdmin wasn't open source, it wouldn't be in there.

> and letting
> users know about alternatives is not free advertising, free
> advertising would be you paying for my Google addwords account.

There we definitly disagree. I would consider it free advertising. Not
as direct, but still.

> You guys are doing the same thing as Microsoft did with
> Internet Explorer, let's include it so our browser/admin tool
> is all the user knows about or sees when they install the OS,
> or in this case the SQL server.

I don't think we do, and frankly, I resent that comment.

As an admin in a network that is a big user of Microsoft products, the
bundling of IE and Media Player is a *good thing to me as a customer*.
The same thing applies to me as an "end user at home". The thing that is
bad is the inability to replace them with something else, and the
inability to get rid of them if I want to. Neither of which applies to
pgAdmin - it's trivial to get rid of it.

> A link or blurb should be mentioned that there are other
> admin tools available or pgAdmin should not be installed either.

I'd find it reasonable to add a blurb somewhere about "note that there
are other tools and addons available. See for example
http://www.postgresql.org/download" or something like that. That
certainly provides some value to the end user, and there are also
several other OSS projects that would like that exposure. (Exact wording
is of course up for discussion)

Does this fulfill your wish for a link/blurb?

//Magnus

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
Yes, that is all I am asking.  Sorry about the MS reference, but I
needed to make a point :-)

> I'd find it reasonable to add a blurb somewhere about "note that there
> are other tools and addons available. See for example
> http://www.postgresql.org/download" or something like that. That
> certainly provides some value to the end user, and there are also
> several other OSS projects that would like that exposure. (Exact wording
> is of course up for discussion)
>
> Does this fulfill your wish for a link/blurb?

Thanks for hearing me out,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

>>I am kind of ticked off that they are hijacking my product name this
>>way.

Yep, but they were using direct links, and I changed any verbage I had
immediatly when Dave asked me to.

If navicat had mentioned my product in their web page I really wouldn't
care, but they had links like this:
http://www.navicat.com/pg_lighting_admin/index.html

That looks like they are selling PG Lighting Admin.

Big difference.

I also never stated that my product or any other should be bundled with
the win32 installer, I just meant that it should be made known to the
user that other options for administration are available.  I also never
stated I thought direct links should be made from the installer to any
of my home pages.

I am thinking more of the big picture and something that would benefit
all third party tool vendors commercial or open source.

Doing something like that in no way could hurt pgAdmin III, since there
is nothing to hurt(it's free after all).

I think we have beat this into the ground, lets drop it now.

I think everyone is or will be happy :-)

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Tony Caduto wrote:

> You are not letting the user make a choice about which admin tool to use
> or even try...

My  understanding was that pgInstaller gave you the option to install
pgAdmin III, it isn't a *requirement* to install it, like it is with your
analogy of M$+IE ...

> Just my opinion on the whole fair competition thing,

but, we aren't competing against anyone ... you are competing against us,
which puts the onous on your to do the marketing, not us ...

----

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I don't wan't to be bundled, I just want it to be known that there are
> alternatives available.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the OSS project within the OSS
installer to mention commercial alternatives IF
they are shipping an already available OSS product.

What I mean is that the OSS Win32 Installer is shipping PgAdmin why
should they mention your product? If I were
to suggest that the Win32 Installer should mention Replicator there
would be an uproar, rightfully so.

> Postgresql is free, so what is the big deal about letting users know
> about alternative admin tools comercial or open source?  It's not like
> it would put pgAdmin or Postgresql out of business(it could only help).
PostgreSQL is free and the PostgreSQL.Org project does let people know
about other tools on the website.

> It's a shame you don't see how the bundling of pgAdmin(in the current
> way) is hurting the 3rd party community.

You are welcome to create your own Win32 Installer. I don't see it as
hurting the 3rd party community. I see it as helping the PostgreSQL
community.

> I don't see that as being detrimental to anyone and would certainly be
> in fair play.

Fair play? It could be argued that the fact that you don't open source
your product means that you don't believe in fair play. I don't
personally buy
that argument but I assure you it will be made if this thread continues.

The PostgreSQL community does a very good job of giving the commercial
counter parts their due.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
The people who develop, package, and host pginstaller files are doing so
to promote open source software for users, not to help you sell
commercial software.  For that, you are on your own.

If you want to find volunteers to help you promote and sell your
software, good luck.  :-)

Tony Caduto wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>   > We (pginstaller hat goes on) don't know of any competing products. We
> > will be happy to consider bundling any competing product, including PG
> > Lightning Admin. One of the most important things in order to be
> > distributed as part of an open source product is that the parts are open
> > source. If PGLA (or a lite version if necessary) is available under an
> > OSS license, we'll definitly consider bundling it.
> > (We have considered bundling phpPgAdmin, but haven't found a good way to
> > do it without dragging in a huge load of dependencies)
>
> I don't wan't to be bundled, I just want it to be known that there are
> alternatives available.
>
> Postgresql is free, so what is the big deal about letting users know
> about alternative admin tools comercial or open source?  It's not like
> it would put pgAdmin or Postgresql out of business(it could only help).
>
> It's a shame you don't see how the bundling of pgAdmin(in the current
> way) is hurting the 3rd party community.
>
> All that would be needed is a installer section at the end saying
> something like:
> In addition to pgAdmin III there are other opensource and commercial
> admin products available, you can get more information here <link back
> to postgresql home page>.
>
> I don't see that as being detrimental to anyone and would certainly be
> in fair play.
>
> --
> Tony Caduto
> AM Software Design
> Home of PG Lightning Admin for Postgresql
> http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
"Andrew Maclean"
Дата:
I can't agree more.

Tony Caduto wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>   > We (pginstaller hat goes on) don't know of any competing products. We
> > will be happy to consider bundling any competing product, including PG
> > Lightning Admin. One of the most important things in order to be
> > distributed as part of an open source product is that the parts are open
> > source. If PGLA (or a lite version if necessary) is available under an
> > OSS license, we'll definitly consider bundling it.
> > (We have considered bundling phpPgAdmin, but haven't found a good way to
> > do it without dragging in a huge load of dependencies)
>
> I don't wan't to be bundled, I just want it to be known that there are
> alternatives available.
>
> Postgresql is free, so what is the big deal about letting users know
> about alternative admin tools comercial or open source?  It's not like
> it would put pgAdmin or Postgresql out of business(it could only help).
>
> It's a shame you don't see how the bundling of pgAdmin(in the current
> way) is hurting the 3rd party community.
>
> All that would be needed is a installer section at the end saying
> something like:
> In addition to pgAdmin III there are other opensource and commercial
> admin products available, you can get more information here <link back
> to postgresql home page>.
>
> I don't see that as being detrimental to anyone and would certainly be
> in fair play.
>
> --
> Tony Caduto
> AM Software Design
> Home of PG Lightning Admin for Postgresql
> http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От
Sergiusz Jarczyk
Дата:
Andrew Maclean napisał(a):

>I can't agree more.

Maybe Tony plans to donate part of the incomging back to the PostgreSQL
project :-)

Sergiusz