Обсуждение: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Hello,

I am using PostgreSQL since more then 6 years now and for 1 1/2 years
"rekall".  Now there is a problem with the crapy QT and I have no
Frontend anymore which works WITHOUT (!!!) KDE or GNOME which I hate!

Currently I am using "pgAccess" to check my PostgreSQL but it is very
limited.

Does anyone know a Frontend for PostgreSQL which I can use to design
and admin a very huge Database (over 160 GByte and grown; the biggest
table is over 120 GByte)

I need it urgentiel under plain/x without GNOME and KDE.

If OSS is not availlable, a commercial product?

I am not a PostgreSQL guru, but since I have lost last year my two
Iranien programmers, I am working alone and need support in form of
good Software.

Please note, that I am using Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 and 3.1 and NO, I WILL
NOT SWITCH TO WINDOWS, EVEN THERE ARE VERY GOOD GUI'S FOR POSTGRESQL.

I wish, such GUI's exist under Linux!

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Does anyone know a Frontend for PostgreSQL which I can use to design
> and admin a very huge Database

OpenOffice 2?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 04:43:18PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using PostgreSQL since more then 6 years now and for 1 1/2 years
> "rekall".  Now there is a problem with the crapy QT and I have no
> Frontend anymore which works WITHOUT (!!!) KDE or GNOME which I hate!

You mean you want a frontend that does not use GTK+ or QT? Just plain
Xt or Athena? Good luck, as straight X toolkit is quite complicated
compared to those two.

I just use psql, but you appear to feel you need a graphical client.

apt-cache search postgresql seems to suggest:

dbengine - A plug 'n play Web interface for mySQL and PostgreSQL
dbishell - Interactive SQL shell with readline support
pgaccess - Tk/Tcl interface to PostgreSQL
sql-editor - editor of SQL databases, with 'join' capability

Anyone know any other non-text based clients?

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Дата:
On Wednesday 25 January 2006 17:01, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>Anyone know any other non-text based clients?

I'm using PHP with plain old HTML forms. That way, I can slap together a
custom interface in no time. And it even works in links2 :)
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
"Ben Trewern"
Дата:
For administration try pgAdmin III but to make applications you could try
Gambas see: http://gambas.sourceforge.net/ or even Lazarus see:
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

For internet stuff try Ruby on Rails.  It has a bit of a steep learning
curve to start with but it's a RAD tool when you get the hang of it.

Ben

BTW whats the problem with Rekall?  I thought it could just use QT.

"Michelle Konzack" <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am using PostgreSQL since more then 6 years now and for 1 1/2 years
> "rekall".  Now there is a problem with the crapy QT and I have no
> Frontend anymore which works WITHOUT (!!!) KDE or GNOME which I hate!
>
> Currently I am using "pgAccess" to check my PostgreSQL but it is very
> limited.
>
> Does anyone know a Frontend for PostgreSQL which I can use to design
> and admin a very huge Database (over 160 GByte and grown; the biggest
> table is over 120 GByte)
>
> I need it urgentiel under plain/x without GNOME and KDE.
>
> If OSS is not availlable, a commercial product?
>
> I am not a PostgreSQL guru, but since I have lost last year my two
> Iranien programmers, I am working alone and need support in form of
> good Software.
>
> Please note, that I am using Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 and 3.1 and NO, I WILL
> NOT SWITCH TO WINDOWS, EVEN THERE ARE VERY GOOD GUI'S FOR POSTGRESQL.
>
> I wish, such GUI's exist under Linux!
>
> Greetings
>    Michelle Konzack
>    Systemadministrator
>    Tamay Dogan Network
>    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant
>

> --
> Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
> ##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
> Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
>                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
> 0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2006-01-25 16:56:04, schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Does anyone know a Frontend for PostgreSQL which I can use to design
> > and admin a very huge Database
>
> OpenOffice 2?

Design a Database with OO2? code Functions?

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2006-01-25 17:01:39, schrieb Martijn van Oosterhout:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 04:43:18PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using PostgreSQL since more then 6 years now and for 1 1/2 years
> > "rekall".  Now there is a problem with the crapy QT and I have no
> > Frontend anymore which works WITHOUT (!!!) KDE or GNOME which I hate!
>
> You mean you want a frontend that does not use GTK+ or QT? Just plain

No, it can use GTK/GTK2/GTK+ but NOT KDE or GNOME.

> Xt or Athena? Good luck, as straight X toolkit is quite complicated
> compared to those two.
>
> I just use psql, but you appear to feel you need a graphical client.

Do you code/design your functions in psql too?

I have seen some (commercial) Windows GUIs which do the job.
You can create trigers and much more.  But I have not found
an equivalent for Linux.

> apt-cache search postgresql seems to suggest:
>
> dbengine - A plug 'n play Web interface for mySQL and PostgreSQL

No mercie, if you need to show a table with 20 and more rows,
you shoot yourself with Webinterfface.

> dbishell - Interactive SQL shell with readline support

I do not think, this is what I need.

> pgaccess - Tk/Tcl interface to PostgreSQL

This is waht I use currently, but it lakes on funktionatity

> sql-editor - editor of SQL databases, with 'join' capability

It can only edit the contents of an allready existing database.

In Summary:     pgAccess is the only one, but
                laking on a couple of features.

> Anyone know any other non-text based clients?

I think, I need a commercial tool but where and how to find?

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2006-01-25 17:21:48, schrieb Leif B. Kristensen:

> I'm using PHP with plain old HTML forms. That way, I can slap together a
> custom interface in no time. And it even works in links2 :)

How do you design a ned Database via your Webinterface?
How do you create functions and trigers?

The End-Result is working with PHP and HTML.

Currently I am writing my Database a text/plain and then
I import it with "\i new_database.sql" And if it give
me errors I an resolv if "relativ" easy. But it takes to
much time and in big databases you lost the overview.

Please note, that I am System- and Network-Administrator
and not Database Designer.  But since I have lost my two
Employees I must do it myself.

Any suggestions for commercial products?
(need minimal a tryout version for testing)

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
"Cristian Prieto"
Дата:
What about PgAdmin III, I know, it is now perfect but I prefer it a lot
against similar commercial products.

Really, I have long time looking for a product with the same specs.

Am 2006-01-25 17:21:48, schrieb Leif B. Kristensen:

> I'm using PHP with plain old HTML forms. That way, I can slap together a
> custom interface in no time. And it even works in links2 :)

How do you design a ned Database via your Webinterface?
How do you create functions and trigers?

The End-Result is working with PHP and HTML.

Currently I am writing my Database a text/plain and then
I import it with "\i new_database.sql" And if it give
me errors I an resolv if "relativ" easy. But it takes to
much time and in big databases you lost the overview.

Please note, that I am System- and Network-Administrator
and not Database Designer.  But since I have lost my two
Employees I must do it myself.

Any suggestions for commercial products?
(need minimal a tryout version for testing)

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

       match

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Design a Database with OO2? code Functions?

I'm not sure about what kind of function coding support you have in
mind, but certainly you can design a database with it.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2006-01-30 10:30:42, schrieb Cristian Prieto:
> What about PgAdmin III, I know, it is now perfect but I prefer it a lot
> against similar commercial products.

It is not availlable as a Debian-Package.  ;-)

> Really, I have long time looking for a product with the same specs.

Me to. It would be time fo a Debian-Package...

I will check it out, and if there is realy no one who
has packed it for Debian, I will do it. Oh yes, - I am
currently Co-Maintainer for some Packages in Debian.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2006-01-30 20:04:43, schrieb Peter Eisentraut:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Design a Database with OO2? code Functions?
>
> I'm not sure about what kind of function coding support you have in
> mind, but certainly you can design a database with it.

Is this like the Adabase Add-on of StarOffice 5.2 ?

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Juan Jose Comellas
Дата:
PgAdmin III is available on Debian. Its package name is pgadmin3. Try doing:

apt-cache show pgadmin3

(juanjo@comellas.com.ar)

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > What about PgAdmin III, I know, it is now perfect but I prefer it a
> > lot against similar commercial products.
>
> It is not availlable as a Debian-Package.  ;-)

Yes, it is.
http://www.pgadmin.org/download/debian.php

//Magnus

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Is this like the Adabase Add-on of StarOffice 5.2 ?

I don't know what that is.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
Michelle Konzack
Дата:
Am 2006-02-02 14:19:42, schrieb Juan Jose Comellas:
> PgAdmin III is available on Debian. Its package name is pgadmin3. Try doing:
>
> apt-cache show pgadmin3

I am running Sarge and have found only pgaccess.
So it is in Testing or Unstable...

Will look for it tomorrow.

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

Re: Alternative to knoda, kexi and rekall?

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > PgAdmin III is available on Debian. Its package name is
> pgadmin3. Try doing:
> >
> > apt-cache show pgadmin3
>
> I am running Sarge and have found only pgaccess.
> So it is in Testing or Unstable...

You need to add one of the pgsql mirrors to get it. See
http://www.pgadmin.org/download/debian.php. They have packages for Sarge
and Etch both.

//Magnus