Обсуждение: Postgres 7.3.2 -> 8.1.2 upgrade performance issue

Postgres 7.3.2 -> 8.1.2 upgrade performance issue

От
David Brain
Дата:
Hi,

Recently tried an upgrade from 7.3.2 to 8.1.2.  The actual upgrade went
pretty well.  However my application is now getting >10 times slower
INSERT times than it was under 7.3.2.  As far as possible I mirrored the
settings in postgresql.conf (obviously I couldn't just drop in the old
config).

Any thoughts as to where to look, or what to do to fix this?

Thanks,

David.

Re: Postgres 7.3.2 -> 8.1.2 upgrade performance issue

Дата:
David Brain <dbrain@bandwidth.com> writes:
> Recently tried an upgrade from 7.3.2 to 8.1.2.  The actual upgrade went
> pretty well.  However my application is now getting >10 times slower
> INSERT times than it was under 7.3.2.  As far as possible I mirrored the
> settings in postgresql.conf (obviously I couldn't just drop in the old
> config).

> Any thoughts as to where to look, or what to do to fix this?

Did you remember to VACUUM ANALYZE after loading the data?  It sounds
to me like bad choices of plans ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres 7.3.2 -> 8.1.2 upgrade performance issue

От
"Woody Woodring"
Дата:
Did you analyze after you imported the dump?

Woody

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Tom Lane wrote:

> Did you remember to VACUUM ANALYZE after loading the data?  It sounds
> to me like bad choices of plans ...

Yes - although I have autovacuum off, partly to make an apples to apples
comparison with 7.3 and partly due to the nature of the app.

On the application side I'm connecting via npgsql from .Net - the
application is basically pumping large numbers of rows into a heavily
indexed db (used for analysis later).  Performance went from 100-200
rows per-second (which was being capped by cpu usage on the client side)
to more like 10 rows per second.

I'm going to investigate what effect upgrading npgsql has too - as it
appears there is a new version available.  I will report back with what
I find.

I just enabled autovacuum - with no apparent speed increase.

Odd.

David.

--
David Brain - bandwidth.com
dbrain@bandwidth.com

Re: Postgres 7.3.2 -> 8.1.2 upgrade performance issue

От
David Brain
Дата:
OK - spent some more time profiling what was going on on both the client
and server machine.  It began ti look more like a connector problem (I
was seeing low CPU usage on both client & server and could see very slow
BIND/INSERT/COMMIT commands being sent to the db).

Upgraded to Npgsql 1.0beta2 - from http://pgfoundry.org/projects/npgsql
and things have improved significantly.

Thanks for the help,

David.