Обсуждение: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL?

Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL?

От
Tyler MacDonald
Дата:
    I've been wondering, does anybody know which is more likely to be
installed on a postgresql server? Which is faster? I'm writting an
application in perl that is going to need to get broad information about
heiarchial data (how many parents, settings common on parents, etc), and I'd
like to put that data presentation logic into the database.

    Thanks,
        Tyler

Re: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:32:25PM -0800, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
>     I've been wondering, does anybody know which is more likely to be
> installed on a postgresql server? Which is faster? I'm writting an
> application in perl that is going to need to get broad information about
> heiarchial data (how many parents, settings common on parents, etc), and I'd
> like to put that data presentation logic into the database.

Well, plpgsql has been around for a long time whereas plperl is new so
at a guess the former will be much more common. Also, plpgsql is
installed by default on many systems whereas plperl is usually an
addon.

As for speed, no comment. Developer time is generally more important
anyway.

Have a nice day,

Re: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL?

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On 2/3/06, Tyler MacDonald <tyler@yi.org> wrote:
>         I've been wondering, does anybody know which is more likely to be
> installed on a postgresql server? Which is faster? I'm writting an
> application in perl that is going to need to get broad information about
> heiarchial data (how many parents, settings common on parents, etc), and I'd
> like to put that data presentation logic into the database.

plpgsql.

for an explanation of my reasoning and a example of how to deal with
heiarchial data, check out my blog at
http://people.planetpostgresql.org/merlin/

Re: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL?

От
Tyler MacDonald
Дата:
Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/3/06, Tyler MacDonald <tyler@yi.org> wrote:
> >         I've been wondering, does anybody know which is more likely to be
> > installed on a postgresql server? Which is faster? I'm writting an
> > application in perl that is going to need to get broad information about
> > heiarchial data (how many parents, settings common on parents, etc), and I'd
> > like to put that data presentation logic into the database.
>
> plpgsql.
>
> for an explanation of my reasoning and a example of how to deal with
> heiarchial data, check out my blog at
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/merlin/

    Awesome, thanks! I'm using plpgsql now and am slowly getting
comfortable with it. I've attached my first draft of the recursive flag
setting finder; it works, but it's inefficient. I've got a postgres guru
here helping me out and I'll be sure to read over your article as well.

    Cheers,
        Tyler

Вложения