Обсуждение: problem with windows xp sp2 and postgres-8.1.3

problem with windows xp sp2 and postgres-8.1.3

От
"Istvan Nagy"
Дата:
Hello Guys,

first of all, great effort from you this tool.

Problem exists with following config:
- Windows XP Pro, SP2 (English).
- PostgreSQL-8.1.3
- lot of development programs, and IDE-s (for the clients i am working unfortunately
they are windoz-based :-(...).

Same problem occurs as described here
and here.

Could you have an assist?
Magnus (Magnus Hagander), would you have any idea about it?

Problem description:
When starting the service: the following error occurs(can be read from  Application Event):
"could not create inherited socket: error code 10022".

As i tried again manually(postmaster...), had the same problem. I turned off my firewall services,
windows security center firewall and antivirus check (automatic updates are on),
but i got the same error.
Ok, deleted the postgres, deleted the user, deleted registry settings for postgres. Reinstalled
and tried to make it run. Unfortunately the same error happened.

It is a windows-based network address bind problem, described below:
WSAEINVAL 10022
Invalid argument
Some invalid argument was supplied (for example, specifying an invalid level to the setsockopt
function). In some instances, it also refers to the current state of the socket—for instance,
calling accept on a socket that is not listening.
Header
Declared in Winsock2.h
Thanks, m$ guys, was really helpful. :-(

The problem exists since i upgraded (unfortunately i had to, not wanted) from XP-SP1
to XP-SP2. Before that it was Postgres-8.0.4 installed, worked fine, seemed really
cool. BUT, times and development environment (and os-s) are changing. :-(

Can it have anything related to windows-socket bind problems with Windows-XP-SP2
integrated firewalls however it is disabled?

Thanks in advance,
 István

Вложения

Re: problem with windows xp sp2 and postgres-8.1.3

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> first of all, great effort from you this tool.
>
> Problem exists with following config:
> - Windows XP Pro, SP2 (English).
> - PostgreSQL-8.1.3
> - lot of development programs, and IDE-s (for the clients i
> am working unfortunately they are windoz-based :-(...).
>
> Same problem occurs as described here
> and here
> <http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-ports/2005-10/msg00001.php> .
> "could not create inherited socket: error code 10022".

This sounds a lot like broken firewall, broken antivirus, broken
antispyware or such software. Take a look with
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm to see what you have there - most likely
at least one broken LSP.

> As i tried again manually(postmaster...), had the same
> problem. I turned off my firewall services, windows security
> center firewall and antivirus check (automatic updates are
> on), but i got the same error.

Turn off is often not enough, you need to uninstall.

> Can it have anything related to windows-socket bind problems
> with Windows-XP-SP2 integrated firewalls however it is disabled?

No, the intergrated firewall should work fine, as long as it's not
blocking the connections (meaning if it's disabled, it shouldn't be a
problem). It's known not to have the LSP bug.

//Magnus

Re: problem with windows xp sp2 and postgres-8.1.3

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> the lsp-fix did the trick. As you supposed it was a personal
> firewall (however a great product, called armor2net
> personal), which unfortunately was broken with the winsock lib.

Obviously not a gread product, I'd say, if it breaks the winsock stack.
Which the hole purpose of a firewall is to protect, really...

> Strange problem with it however, that it hasn't got any
> problems with the earlier version of Postgres (last i had to
> use was: 8.0.4 on win32)

Yes, that's very interesting indeed. I don't think we made any major
changes with that one. This is on the same machine? Perhaps some other
piece of software was also installed, that triggered the problem?

> I reconnected my windows-integrated firewall, which caused
> some problems, but i managed it to work (System
> Properties/Advanced/Performance -> Settings/ Data Execution
> Prevention/Turn on DEP for all programs and services except
> those I select: Add-> psql, pgadmin, postmaster)

That's not relaly the firewall. Nonetheless, it's very interesting. Did
you really need it for all those programs? I don't recall having ever
had to set that, but it could be that it's not supported by the CPU on
any of my test machines :-) But it specifically surprises me that it was
necessary for psql and pgadmin.

//Magnus

Re: problem with windows xp sp2 and postgres-8.1.3

От
"Dave Page"

> But it specifically surprises me that it was necessary for psql and pgadmin.

Both should run fine with DEP on; I do so all the time.

/D

Re: problem with windows xp sp2 and postgres-8.1.3

От
"Istvan Nagy"
Дата:
Hi,

the lsp-fix did the trick. As you supposed it
was a personal firewall (however a great product,
called armor2net personal), which unfortunately was broken
with the winsock lib.
Strange problem with it however, that it hasn't got any
problems with the earlier version of Postgres (last i had to
use was: 8.0.4 on win32)

I reconnected my windows-integrated firewall, which
caused some problems, but i managed it to work
(System Properties/Advanced/Performance -> Settings/
Data Execution Prevention/Turn on DEP for all programs and
services except those I select: Add-> psql, pgadmin, postmaster)

Thanks for the help,
 Istvan