Обсуждение: pg_restore 7.4.7 locks itself out

pg_restore 7.4.7 locks itself out

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm trying to restore one of our production databases on our development
system, but restore locks itself out.
The symptoms: restoring goes fine up to a certain point. Reaching that
point the database is idle, and apparently waiting on a lock. Server
load is minimal.

As this is a newly created database that hasn't been configured in any
of our applications yet, pg_restore really is the only app connecting to
it. I restore on the server, so problems with network, nfs etc. are
ruled out.

The restore command used: pg_restore -U postgres -d vh3_live vh3.dump
The dump file is in "custom" format, and about 70MB in size.

Here's some output (input for you guys):

template1@[local] SQL> select version();
                                                 version

  PostgreSQL 7.4.7 on i386-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC i386-linux-gcc
(GCC) 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)
(1 row)

template1@[local] SQL> select * from pg_locks ;
  relation | database | transaction |  pid  |       mode       | granted
----------+----------+-------------+-------+------------------+---------
     16759 |        1 |             | 15083 | AccessShareLock  | t
           |          |    74701637 | 15092 | ExclusiveLock    | t
  77680019 | 77680006 |             | 15092 | AccessShareLock  | t
  77680019 | 77680006 |             | 15092 | RowExclusiveLock | t
           |          |    74701638 | 15083 | ExclusiveLock    | t
(5 rows)

Below these pid's indeed seem to be causing a lock:

alban:blackmag * ps aux | grep postg
postgres  4521  0.0  0.0 42212 2464 ?        S    Apr07   0:00
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/postgres/data
postgres  4527  0.0  0.0  7908 1864 ?        S    Apr07   0:00 postgres:
stats buffer process
postgres  4528  0.0  0.0  7492 1440 ?        S    Apr07   0:00 postgres:
stats collector process
alban    15076  0.0  0.0  6392 1920 pts/8    S+   14:11   0:00
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql -U postgres -d template1
postgres 15083  0.0  0.0 43020 3772 ?        S    14:11   0:00 postgres:
postgres template1 [local] idle
alban    15085  0.0  0.0  6724 2184 pts/7    S+   14:11   0:00
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_restore -U postgres -d vh3_live
vh30_20060410.dump
postgres 15092  0.0  0.3 43692 12924 ?       D    14:11   0:00 postgres:
postgres vh3_live [local] INSERT

The data in the table it's trying to restore does contain circular
references. I imagine this could cause such trouble. It's a pain to
remove records too, they don't cascade...

Is there some way to 'unlock' my restore?

I suppose this may be fixed in a newer version, but our sysadmin'd
prefer to stay with versions packaged by the distributor (Debian in this
case). OTOH, I would like to test this database on 8.1 some time (this
is our development DB after all), so this could be a good opportunity...

Regards,

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl

magproductions b.v.

T: ++31(0)534346874
F: ++31(0)534346876
M:
I: www.magproductions.nl
A: Postbus 416
    7500 AK Enschede

// Integrate Your World //

Re: pg_restore 7.4.7 locks itself out

Дата:
Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl> writes:
> postgres 15092  0.0  0.3 43692 12924 ?       D    14:11   0:00 postgres:
> postgres vh3_live [local] INSERT

This process is not blocked on a lock: it's waiting for disk I/O.

Thoughts that come to mind include (1) it's going fine and you're not
patient enough; (2) something wrong with your disk drive; (3) DB is
mounted across NFS and you're having network problems.

> I suppose this may be fixed in a newer version, but our sysadmin'd
> prefer to stay with versions packaged by the distributor (Debian in this
> case).

If your sysadmin wants to use 7.4.7 rather than 7.4.<latest>, he needs
swift application of a cluestick.  I'll grant that there might be
application-compatibility reasons to stay on 7.4.*, but not to avoid
being up to date in that release series.  See
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release-7-4-12.html
and following pages.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl> writes:
>
>>postgres 15092  0.0  0.3 43692 12924 ?       D    14:11   0:00 postgres:
>>postgres vh3_live [local] INSERT
>

> This process is not blocked on a lock: it's waiting for disk I/O.
>
> Thoughts that come to mind include (1) it's going fine and you're not
> patient enough; (2) something wrong with your disk drive; (3) DB is
> mounted across NFS and you're having network problems.

Really? I've been waiting for it to finish ever since, amounting to
almost 4 hours now. It doesn't seem to have progressed one bit since it
started. Well, I'll let it run overnight and see what has happened by
tomorrow morning.

As for points (2) and (3); I was logged in on the machine where the
database lives, which is AFAIK on a SATA RAID configuration of some type
(don't know the details). If it's a mirror (and I believe it is), that
kind of makes the bad-disk scenario not too plausible, and I'd think we
would have noticed something like that in other ways too. That server
handles most of our diskless machines - one of which I'm using (No, I
wasn't restoring from there...).

>>I suppose this may be fixed in a newer version, but our sysadmin'd
>>prefer to stay with versions packaged by the distributor (Debian in this
>>case).
>
> If your sysadmin wants to use 7.4.7 rather than 7.4.<latest>, he needs
> swift application of a cluestick.  I'll grant that there might be
> application-compatibility reasons to stay on 7.4.*, but not to avoid
> being up to date in that release series.  See
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release-7-4-12.html
> and following pages.

Well, in this case it seems like the debian package maintainers could
use a thorough bat with the cluestick - but I'm biased against debian,
so that could be prejudice...

<rant>
OTOH, our sysadmin can be rather stubborn - I'm in the process of
convincing him that it's a bad idea to rely on filesystem backups of the
pg data directory for restoring a DB, or at least stop the database
while doing so. I'd much rather he'd use dumps, but apparently that
takes disk space - no matter how little, apparently.

His response is that he's restored the databases twice already this way,
and things didn't break - I wonder how he can be sure about that...
Trouble is, if he does break the database, I'll be the one to receive
the complaints :(

Stubborn he is...
</rant>

Regards,
--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl

magproductions b.v.

T: ++31(0)534346874
F: ++31(0)534346876
M:
I: www.magproductions.nl
A: Postbus 416
    7500 AK Enschede

// Integrate Your World //

Re: pg_restore 7.4.7 locks itself out

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Alban Hertroys wrote:
> > If your sysadmin wants to use 7.4.7 rather than 7.4.<latest>, he
> > needs swift application of a cluestick.  I'll grant that there
> > might be application-compatibility reasons to stay on 7.4.*, but
> > not to avoid being up to date in that release series.  See
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release-7-4-12.html
> > and following pages.
>
> Well, in this case it seems like the debian package maintainers could
> use a thorough bat with the cluestick - but I'm biased against
> debian, so that could be prejudice...

This problem is going to be addressed.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: pg_restore 7.4.7 locks itself out

От
Andrew - Supernews
Дата:
On 2006-04-10, Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl> writes:
>>
>>>postgres 15092  0.0  0.3 43692 12924 ?       D    14:11   0:00 postgres:
>>>postgres vh3_live [local] INSERT
>>
>> This process is not blocked on a lock: it's waiting for disk I/O.
>>
>> Thoughts that come to mind include (1) it's going fine and you're not
>> patient enough; (2) something wrong with your disk drive; (3) DB is
>> mounted across NFS and you're having network problems.
>
> Really? I've been waiting for it to finish ever since, amounting to
> almost 4 hours now. It doesn't seem to have progressed one bit since it
> started. Well, I'll let it run overnight and see what has happened by
> tomorrow morning.

Notice the "INSERT" there. For a restore, you'd expect it to be "COPY",
_unless_ you used the -d option to pg_dump (this is a common mistake to
make, given that all the other utilities use -d to specify the database
name).

Restoring an inserts dump is _SLOW_ to the point of being glacial, because
(unless it's a text dump and you edited in BEGIN/COMMIT statements yourself)
it'll be committing each row individually, which limits the restore speed to
a couple of hundred rows/sec unless you have evil (or battery-backed) write
caching or you've turned fsync off. COPY (which pg_dump will generate if
you didn't use -d) runs two or three orders of magnitude faster.

--
Andrew, Supernews

Re: pg_restore 7.4.7 locks itself out

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
Andrew - Supernews wrote:
> On 2006-04-10, Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl> wrote:
> Notice the "INSERT" there. For a restore, you'd expect it to be "COPY",
> _unless_ you used the -d option to pg_dump (this is a common mistake to
> make, given that all the other utilities use -d to specify the database
> name).

That explains a lot, thanks. Looking at my command history, it does
indeed include "-d <database name>".

I was wondering why it was waiting on an insert, would never have
guessed that my dump was made that way... It also explains why I was
seeing locks this way.

This must be a very common mistake, isn't there some way to prevent this
from happening in the future?

> Restoring an inserts dump is _SLOW_ to the point of being glacial, because

Yeah, I know. Luckily that restore turned out to have finished this
morning, so everything is alright. I don't need this dump for restoring
anything serious, luckily.

Regards,
--
Alban Hertroys