Обсуждение: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Kenneth Downs
Дата:
Hello folks,

My company has developed an application development framework that
targets PostgreSQL as its back-end, with PHP in the web layer.

We are inviting any early adopters who may wish to experiment to
download and install the code.   You may contact me off-list with any
support or other questions.

Licensing is GPL.

The framework has already been used to deploy one largish (270+ tables)
public site.  There is one smaller public site and one business
application under development now.

Because we have used it successfully, we consider it late beta for our
own use.  However, we believe anybody else using it now would likely
find foibles that we are consciously or unconsciously avoiding, so that
it might be properly termed 'pre-alpha' for other users.  This is why we
stress we are seeking 'early adopters'.  If you like the features but
don't want to experiment, you may wish to wait.  This is also why we are
offering support at this stage to the GPL project.

The overall framework is extremely heavy on automation of all kinds.  It
is also heavy on the elimination of as much code as possible.

The main project site is here:

http://docs.secdat.com

Вложения

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Kenneth Downs wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> My company has developed an application development framework that
> targets PostgreSQL as its back-end, with PHP in the web layer.
>
> We are inviting any early adopters who may wish to experiment to
> download and install the code.   You may contact me off-list with any
> support or other questions.
>
> Licensing is GPL.

Sounds great! But why GPL? Are you looking to sell licenses?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Kenneth Downs
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Kenneth Downs wrote:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> My company has developed an application development framework that
>> targets PostgreSQL as its back-end, with PHP in the web layer.
>>
>> We are inviting any early adopters who may wish to experiment to
>> download and install the code.   You may contact me off-list with any
>> support or other questions.
>>
>> Licensing is GPL.
>

> Sounds great! But why GPL? Are you looking to sell licenses?

GPL is to spread it as far and wide as possible as fast as possible.

As is customary, GPL downloaders get no support, but folks who want a
closer relationship with us can pursue any avenue that is reasonable for
both of us.  We can do complete development, as we do for our current
customers who know little and care less about the tools we use, or
training, consulting and so forth.

For corporate customers, it does not matter much whether you call it a
license or something else, some expenditures are made to support the
customer's effort and the customer is asked to provide the funds for
that.  Call it consulting fees, call it licensing, call it training or
support, it is all the same thing.

We also anticipate a closed commercial license for the more stable
project, where the GPL project is the wide-open bleeding edge version,
but that is down the road and a full model will have to await further
developments.

Вложения

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:02:36PM -0400, Kenneth Downs wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> >Kenneth Downs wrote:
> >
> >>Hello folks,
> >>
> >>My company has developed an application development framework that
> >>targets PostgreSQL as its back-end, with PHP in the web layer.
> >>
> >>We are inviting any early adopters who may wish to experiment to
> >>download and install the code.   You may contact me off-list with any
> >>support or other questions.
> >>
> >>Licensing is GPL.
> >
> >Sounds great! But why GPL? Are you looking to sell licenses?
>
> GPL is to spread it as far and wide as possible as fast as possible.

If that's your goal, consider the BSDL or similar.  There are lots of
outfits where people are forbidden flat-out to get GPL code.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
>> Sounds great! But why GPL? Are you looking to sell licenses?
>
> GPL is to spread it as far and wide as possible as fast as possible.

LGPL?

My concern would be, I can't use this toolkit for a closed source
application if it is GPL.

That may be your intent (which I actually don't have a business problem
with), I was just curious as to your decision.

> As is customary, GPL downloaders get no support, but folks who want a
> closer relationship with us can pursue any avenue that is reasonable for
> both of us.  We can do complete development, as we do for our current
> customers who know little and care less about the tools we use, or
> training, consulting and so forth.

Sure.

> For corporate customers, it does not matter much whether you call it a
> license or something else, some expenditures are made to support the
> customer's effort and the customer is asked to provide the funds for
> that.  Call it consulting fees, call it licensing, call it training or
> support, it is all the same thing.

O.k. so you are going to charge a corporate customer to allow them to
get their code their own?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Kenneth Downs
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> Sounds great! But why GPL? Are you looking to sell licenses?
>>

>> GPL is to spread it as far and wide as possible as fast as possible.
>

> LGPL?
>
> My concern would be, I can't use this toolkit for a closed source
> application if it is GPL.
>
> That may be your intent (which I actually don't have a business
> problem with), I was just curious as to your decision.

If it turns out that nobody can release a closed source app, I will
definitely reconsider and look again at LGPL, but I am not convinced you
cannot do so.

If you seek to provide a closed source app that is built upon Andromeda,
you are required to provide the source code to Andromeda itself.
However, your app is not a derivative work in the strict sense because
your code is not mixed in with mine in any sense.  You never modify a
file, and your files and mine are actually in separate directories.

I greatly appreciate your asking the question though because I'd like to
make sure that people feel safe with the project.  My goal is to provide
the freedoms typically associated with the "plain old GPL", and
certainly not to restrict the creation of closed apps.  I just don't
want anybody closing *my* app.

>> For corporate customers, it does not matter much whether you call it
>> a license or something else, some expenditures are made to support
>> the customer's effort and the customer is asked to provide the funds
>> for that.  Call it consulting fees, call it licensing, call it
>> training or support, it is all the same thing.
>

> O.k. so you are going to charge a corporate customer to allow them to
> get their code their own?

Only if they want to talk to me :)  It is GPL, so anybody can download
it and use it, person, gov, NGO, corp.  There is a documentation site
that IMHO is pretty nice and getting better every day.  But if you want
my time, that's for sale.

Вложения

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

Дата:
Kenneth Downs <ken@secdat.com> writes:
> If it turns out that nobody can release a closed source app, I will
> definitely reconsider and look again at LGPL, but I am not convinced you
> cannot do so.

> If you seek to provide a closed source app that is built upon Andromeda,
> you are required to provide the source code to Andromeda itself.
> However, your app is not a derivative work in the strict sense because
> your code is not mixed in with mine in any sense.

This may well be what a sane person would think after perusing the
license text, but you need to be aware that the FSF takes a much more
expansive reading of that text.  AFAIK those details haven't been tested
yet in any court of law --- but until a reading is settled by court
precedents, people tend to look to the FSF's interpretation.  And the
FSF is on record as saying that if code A depends on code B then B's
GPL license infects A, even for pretty weak values of "depends".
You should carefully read http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html,
which contains statements such as

   If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function
   calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a
   single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the
   main program and the plug-ins.

I don't have anything against the GPL's goals, but those goals are very
clearly that the entire software universe should be GPL code.  If that's
not what you have in mind, then you should think twice about licensing a
software component (as opposed to a standalone product that isn't meant
to have other code depending on it) under GPL.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Tim Allen
Дата:
Kenneth Downs wrote:
>>> GPL is to spread it as far and wide as possible as fast as possible.
>>
>> LGPL?
>>
>> My concern would be, I can't use this toolkit for a closed source
>> application if it is GPL.
>>
>> That may be your intent (which I actually don't have a business
>> problem with), I was just curious as to your decision.
>
> If it turns out that nobody can release a closed source app, I will
> definitely reconsider and look again at LGPL, but I am not convinced you
> cannot do so.
>
> If you seek to provide a closed source app that is built upon Andromeda,
> you are required to provide the source code to Andromeda itself.
> However, your app is not a derivative work in the strict sense because
> your code is not mixed in with mine in any sense.  You never modify a
> file, and your files and mine are actually in separate directories.
>
> I greatly appreciate your asking the question though because I'd like to
> make sure that people feel safe with the project.  My goal is to provide
> the freedoms typically associated with the "plain old GPL", and
> certainly not to restrict the creation of closed apps.  I just don't
> want anybody closing *my* app.

Then it sounds like LGPL is exactly what you want. That forbids people
closing your code, but allows linking of it to closed apps. Cf Tom's
comments, it's quite difficult for anyone to release code that depends
on GPL'd code without incurring the terms of the GPL for their code (and
that is clearly the way the FSF want it to be).

But as Joshua was implying, a common business model is to release some
code under GPL, which means it can be used only for GPL'd apps, and then
also be willing to sell other sorts of licences for it to be used with
commercial apps. If that's the sort of business model you have in mind,
then GPL is probably what you want.

Tim

Tim Allen          tim@proximity.com.au
Proximity Pty Ltd  http://www.proximity.com.au/

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Anastasios Hatzis
Дата:
Kenneth Downs wrote:

> My company has developed an application development framework that
> targets PostgreSQL as its back-end, with PHP in the web layer.

Is this product somehow related to AndroMDA (which is usually pronounced
'Andromeda')?

http://www.andromda.org/

Greetings,
Anastasios

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Peter Wilson
Tim Allen wrote:

>>> LGPL?
>>>
>>> My concern would be, I can't use this toolkit for a closed source
>>> application if it is GPL.
>>>
>>> That may be your intent (which I actually don't have a business
>>> problem with), I was just curious as to your decision.
>>
>> If it turns out that nobody can release a closed source app, I will
>> definitely reconsider and look again at LGPL, but I am not convinced
>> you cannot do so.
>>
>> If you seek to provide a closed source app that is built upon
>> Andromeda, you are required to provide the source code to Andromeda
>> itself.  However, your app is not a derivative work in the strict
>> sense because your code is not mixed in with mine in any sense.  You
>> never modify a file, and your files and mine are actually in separate
>> directories.
>>
>> I greatly appreciate your asking the question though because I'd like
>> to make sure that people feel safe with the project.  My goal is to
>> provide the freedoms typically associated with the "plain old GPL",
>> and certainly not to restrict the creation of closed apps.  I just
>> don't want anybody closing *my* app.
>
> Then it sounds like LGPL is exactly what you want. That forbids people
> closing your code, but allows linking of it to closed apps. Cf Tom's
> comments, it's quite difficult for anyone to release code that depends
> on GPL'd code without incurring the terms of the GPL for their code (and
> that is clearly the way the FSF want it to be).
>
> But as Joshua was implying, a common business model is to release some
> code under GPL, which means it can be used only for GPL'd apps, and then
> also be willing to sell other sorts of licences for it to be used with
> commercial apps. If that's the sort of business model you have in mind,
> then GPL is probably what you want.

We've been through similar discussions recently with our web application server,
Whitebeam (http://www.whitebeam.org).

We'd originally released this under a variant of the Mozilla licence - which I
think is not unlike GPL. We started down that route because we make use of
Mozillas JavaScript engine (SpiderMonkey). We did get a number of comments
though, and we never managed to get our licence adopted by the OSS (quite
rightly so!)

The outcome of the discussion was to release the project under a BSD license.

A good deal of the discussion centred around the fact that we make heavy use of
Postgres and so we'd be a much more natural choice of development environment if
we had a similar licence. It helped that the discussions took place during the
uncertaintly around mySQL licensing coupled with Oracles buyout of the innodb
company. The clincher was that Postgres+Whitebeam+Apache (1.3.29 before they
changed their licence) provided a complete BSD based web development
environment. The only external dependancy being SpiderMonkey which we link to
under the LGPL.

My suggestion would be: a) if you want to keep the option of selling/licencing
your code for commercial gain, do something like mySQL and release under GPL
with lots of warnings and offer people a 'commercial' licence; b) if you want to
see your project used in the widest possible audience go with BSD.

The BSD license does allow others to create a closed-source project from your
code - but my view is that isn't too important. You'd be the natural port of
call if they wanted consultancy on how to do that.

Pete
--
http://www.whitebeam.org
http://www.yellowhawk.co.uk

Tom Lane wrote:
[...]

Tom, thanks much.  That points me pretty firmly towards LGPL.  I will reflect on this and likely make a change in the coming weeks.

Вложения

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Kenneth Downs
Дата:
Anastasios Hatzis wrote:

> Kenneth Downs wrote:
>

>> My company has developed an application development framework that
>> targets PostgreSQL as its back-end, with PHP in the web layer.
>>
> Is this product somehow related to AndroMDA (which is usually
> pronounced 'Andromeda')?
>
> http://www.andromda.org/

Nope, separate projects.

Theirs is java, we are php.

Theirs is windows, we are linux.

They don't mention a database, I'm sure they're using something, we
target Postgres  (though our methodology is platform-neutral).

They look like a code generator, while ours uses libraries + data
dictionary on web server layer, and only generates code on the db server.

Finally, we are "radically table oriented", focusing entirely on
automating software development based on a detailed database
specification which includes derived values and security.  They use UML,
while we have a CSS-like way of specifying tables as in:

table customers {
  module: ar;
  column customer { primary_key: Y; uisearch: Y; }
more columns and stuff
}

Вложения

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 08:33:56AM +0100, Peter Wilson wrote:
> The BSD license does allow others to create a closed-source project from
> your code - but my view is that isn't too important. You'd be the natural
> port of call if they wanted consultancy on how to do that.

I'd argue that if you can't compete against that then you have much
bigger problems, especially since the OSS world tends to take a pretty
dim view on 'hostile takeovers' of OSS code.

In any case, I believe there's other licenses that protect against
someone closing your code. I *thought* the MPL was one, but maybe not.
Perhaps Apache's license does. In any case I'd be very careful with any
license that comes out of FSF, since it's pretty clear what their views
on commercial software are...

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Florian Weimer
* Kenneth Downs:

> If you seek to provide a closed source app that is built upon
> Andromeda, you are required to provide the source code to Andromeda
> itself.  However, your app is not a derivative work in the strict
> sense because your code is not mixed in with mine in any sense.  You
> never modify a file, and your files and mine are actually in separate
> directories.

Many proprietary software vendors think that if you program to an
interface which has a sole implementation, your code becomes a derived
work of that implementation.  If you sell different licenses for
run-time and development environments, such an attitude towards
copyright law seems inevitable.

It's a bit unfortunate that the FSF promotes this interpretation,
although it's necessary for creating an effective copyleft license for
libraries and other reusable components.

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Florian Weimer
Дата:
* Joshua D. Drake:

>>> Sounds great! But why GPL? Are you looking to sell licenses?
>> GPL is to spread it as far and wide as possible as fast as possible.
>
> LGPL?
>
> My concern would be, I can't use this toolkit for a closed source
> application if it is GPL.

Closed source?  It's a PHP framework. 8-)

Anyway, for a web application, the GPL is usually *less* restrictive
than various BSD license variants because you do not need to mention
the software in the end user documentation.  The viral aspect of the
GPL does not come into play because you do not actually distribute the
software.  You just run it on your servers.

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Matteo Beccati
Дата:
Hi,

Florian Weimer wrote:
> Closed source?  It's a PHP framework. 8-)
>
> Anyway, for a web application, the GPL is usually *less* restrictive
> than various BSD license variants because you do not need to mention
> the software in the end user documentation.  The viral aspect of the
> GPL does not come into play because you do not actually distribute the
> software.  You just run it on your servers.

So you're supposing that no one would ever build a distributable (free
or commercial) application on your own framework, because if they do
they are forced to release the whole project under GPL.

Best regards
--
Matteo Beccati
http://phpadsnew.com

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Kenneth Downs
Дата:
Florian Weimer wrote:
* Joshua D. Drake:

Sounds great! But why GPL? Are you looking to sell licenses?
GPL is to spread it as far and wide as possible as fast as possible.
LGPL?

My concern would be, I can't use this toolkit for a closed source
application if it is GPL.
Closed source?  It's a PHP framework. 8-)
LOL.  I was thinking something of the same thing.  But as you point out...
Anyway, for a web application, the GPL is usually *less* restrictive
than various BSD license variants because you do not need to mention
the software in the end user documentation.
The paradox is that web is a more closed environment.  The user need never download and install the source.

Which has me thinking of the idea of requiring a copyright notice in the HTML files sent to the browser, or some type of "powered by" notice.  I will add that to the list of ponderables along with LGPL.
Вложения

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Kenneth Downs
Дата:
Florian Weimer wrote:
* Kenneth Downs:

If you seek to provide a closed source app that is built upon
Andromeda, you are required to provide the source code to Andromeda
itself.  However, your app is not a derivative work in the strict
sense because your code is not mixed in with mine in any sense.  You
never modify a file, and your files and mine are actually in separate
directories.
Many proprietary software vendors think that if you program to an
interface which has a sole implementation, your code becomes a derived
work of that implementation.  If you sell different licenses for
run-time and development environments, such an attitude towards
copyright law seems inevitable.
I am not understanding you.  By sole implementation do you mean sole license, or single codebase, or cant-run-without-the-library?

The last sentence I don't understand at all, can you elaborate?

Вложения

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Florian Weimer
* Kenneth Downs:

>>Many proprietary software vendors think that if you program to an
>>interface which has a sole implementation, your code becomes a derived
>>work of that implementation.  If you sell different licenses for
>>run-time and development environments, such an attitude towards
>>copyright law seems inevitable.

> I am not understanding you.  By sole implementation do you mean sole
> license, or single codebase, or cant-run-without-the-library?

Sole implementation, IOW, you cannot replace the implementation with
something else from a different vendor.

> The last sentence I don't understand at all, can you elaborate?

Suppose that I've implemented a COM (or CORBA) object.  I sell an SDK
(with documentation, IDL files and things like that) for $3,000.  For
each application which redistributes the object, I charge you $150
(because you aren't eligible for volume discounts).  Now the IDL files
can be reverse-engineered from the object in straightforward manner.
So you go out, buy some software that includes the object (maybe even
one of my demo versions), and use that for development.  Instead of
paying me royalties, you instruct your customers to obtain the other
software to get the object.  This isn't too far-fetched, I've seen
things like that many moons ago.

> Which has me thinking of the idea of requiring a copyright notice in
> the HTML files sent to the browser, or some type of "powered by"
> notice.  I will add that to the list of ponderables along with LGPL.

This can be quite obnoxious if the application is ever used with a
non-browser front end.  It's also quite easy to remove the copyright
statement in a reverse proxy, without changing the application itself.

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
Florian Weimer
* Matteo Beccati:

> Hi,
>
> Florian Weimer wrote:
>> Closed source?  It's a PHP framework. 8-)
>> Anyway, for a web application, the GPL is usually *less* restrictive
>> than various BSD license variants because you do not need to mention
>> the software in the end user documentation.  The viral aspect of the
>> GPL does not come into play because you do not actually distribute the
>> software.  You just run it on your servers.
>
> So you're supposing that no one would ever build a distributable (free
> or commercial) application on your own framework, because if they do
> they are forced to release the whole project under GPL.

If the project is implemented in some kind of scripting language
(which does not offer persistent compilations, or some kind of
compilation which is easily reversed), the GPL vs BSD distinction is
not very important.  If you are technically forced to ship the program
as source code, a license that allows you to distribute binaries
without source code does not offer much more freedom than one which
forces you to distribute the source code if you distribute
(non-existent) binaries.

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 07:25:09AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Joshua D. Drake:

> >> GPL is to spread it as far and wide as possible as fast as possible.
> >
> > LGPL?
> >
> > My concern would be, I can't use this toolkit for a closed source
> > application if it is GPL.
>
> Closed source?  It's a PHP framework. 8-)
>
> Anyway, for a web application, the GPL is usually *less* restrictive
> than various BSD license variants because you do not need to mention
> the software in the end user documentation.  The viral aspect of the

The BSD license requires no such thing. It only requires that you
maintain the notice in the code. I challenge you to find a less
restrictive license. :)

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 07:25:09AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Joshua D. Drake:

>>> LGPL?
>>>
>>> My concern would be, I can't use this toolkit for a closed source
>>> application if it is GPL.
>> Closed source?  It's a PHP framework. 8-)
>>
>> Anyway, for a web application, the GPL is usually *less* restrictive
>> than various BSD license variants because you do not need to mention
>> the software in the end user documentation.  The viral aspect of the
>
> The BSD license requires no such thing. It only requires that you
> maintain the notice in the code. I challenge you to find a less
> restrictive license. :)

public domain ;)

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 02:07:50PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 07:25:09AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >>* Joshua D. Drake:

> >>Closed source?  It's a PHP framework. 8-)
> >>
> >>Anyway, for a web application, the GPL is usually *less* restrictive
> >>than various BSD license variants because you do not need to mention
> >>the software in the end user documentation.  The viral aspect of the
> >
> >The BSD license requires no such thing. It only requires that you
> >maintain the notice in the code. I challenge you to find a less
> >restrictive license. :)
>
> public domain ;)

Isn't a license, really. :)