Обсуждение: Is it me, or the list?

Is it me, or the list?

От
Kenneth Downs
Дата:
I participate regularly on three mailing lists, including
pgsql-general.  I use thunderbird for mail.

pgsql-general has the peculiar property, when I hit reply, of replying
not to the list, but the individual who emailed to the list.

Is this me, or is this the list?

Вложения

Re: Is it me, or the list?

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Kenneth Downs wrote:
> I participate regularly on three mailing lists, including
> pgsql-general.  I use thunderbird for mail.
>
> pgsql-general has the peculiar property, when I hit reply, of replying
> not to the list, but the individual who emailed to the list.
>
> Is this me, or is this the list?

It is the list, and we like it that way.  Use group reply to include the
list.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: Is it me, or the list?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 15:04, Kenneth Downs wrote:
> I participate regularly on three mailing lists, including
> pgsql-general.  I use thunderbird for mail.
>
> pgsql-general has the peculiar property, when I hit reply, of replying
> not to the list, but the individual who emailed to the list.
>
> Is this me, or is this the list?

It's a FAQ, but I'm not sure there's an actual FAQ entry on it.
Probably should be.

It's the standard way most development lists work.  The reason why is
that direct mail always takes the shortest route.  So, this email I'm
replying to will go to the list (then to you, cause you're a member) as
well as straight to you.

That way, if you're on digest delivery (once a day) or the mail list
server shorts out for a few hours or whatnot, you still get your answer.

I believe you can change those settings, but I don't know how.

Re: Is it me, or the list?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:04:28PM -0400, Kenneth Downs wrote:
> I participate regularly on three mailing lists, including
> pgsql-general.  I use thunderbird for mail.
>
> pgsql-general has the peculiar property, when I hit reply, of replying
> not to the list, but the individual who emailed to the list.
>
> Is this me, or is this the list?

You can configure this in in the mailing list server for yourself. This
is however a fairly standard setup for technical mailing lists.

As an example, there are some lists where I'm subscribed to post but
don't receive. If I send something and you reply only to the list and
not to all, I won't see your response. I might see it later when I
check the archive...

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения

Re: Is it me, or the list?

От
Kenneth Downs
Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 15:04, Kenneth Downs wrote:
I participate regularly on three mailing lists, including
pgsql-general.  I use thunderbird for mail.

pgsql-general has the peculiar property, when I hit reply, of replying
not to the list, but the individual who emailed to the list.

Is this me, or is this the list?

It's the standard way most development lists work.  The reason why is
that direct mail always takes the shortest route.  So, this email I'm
replying to will go to the list (then to you, cause you're a member) as
well as straight to you.

Thanks, now I understand.

Thanks, now I understand.

(ha ha)