Обсуждение: PostgreSQL and Apache

PostgreSQL and Apache

От
"jqpx37"
Дата:
I'm working on a project involving PostgreSQL and Apache.

Anyone know of any good books or online how-to's on getting PostgreSQL and Apache to work together?  (I'm also using
PHP.)

TIA

Re: PostgreSQL and Apache

От
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Дата:
On Tuesday 13. June 2006 15:39, jqpx37 wrote:
>I'm working on a project involving PostgreSQL and Apache.
>
>Anyone know of any good books or online how-to's on getting PostgreSQL
> and Apache to work together?  (I'm also using PHP.)

AFAIK, there are no dependencies beween Apache and PostgreSQL. PHP is
what you'll use as the glue between them.

I've worked with PHP and MySQL for some years, and found the transition
to PostgreSQL rather painless, but still I've considered buying
the "Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to Professional" by W.
Jason Gilmore and Robert H. Treat.
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE

Re: PostgreSQL and Apache

От
louis gonzales
Дата:
PHP is one alternative, another is PERL with CGI to write web based
programs that can GET/POST with input/output from the browser, and to
interface with *SQL - i.e. postgresql - you can use PERL's DBI interface

Leif B. Kristensen wrote:

>On Tuesday 13. June 2006 15:39, jqpx37 wrote:
>

>>I'm working on a project involving PostgreSQL and Apache.
>>
>>Anyone know of any good books or online how-to's on getting PostgreSQL
>>and Apache to work together?  (I'm also using PHP.)
>>

>AFAIK, there are no dependencies beween Apache and PostgreSQL. PHP is
>what you'll use as the glue between them.
>
>I've worked with PHP and MySQL for some years, and found the transition
>to PostgreSQL rather painless, but still I've considered buying
>the "Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to Professional" by W.
>Jason Gilmore and Robert H. Treat.

Re: PostgreSQL and Apache

От
Peter Wilson
Дата:
louis gonzales wrote:
> PHP is one alternative, another is PERL with CGI to write web based
> programs that can GET/POST with input/output from the browser, and to
> interface with *SQL - i.e. postgresql - you can use PERL's DBI interface
>
> Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 13. June 2006 15:39, jqpx37 wrote:
>>

>>> I'm working on a project involving PostgreSQL and Apache.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of any good books or online how-to's on getting PostgreSQL
>>> and Apache to work together?  (I'm also using PHP.)
>>>

>> AFAIK, there are no dependencies beween Apache and PostgreSQL. PHP is
>> what you'll use as the glue between them.
>>
>> I've worked with PHP and MySQL for some years, and found the
>> transition to PostgreSQL rather painless, but still I've considered
>> buying the "Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to
>> Professional" by W. Jason Gilmore and Robert H. Treat.
Another one is 'Whitebeam' - which it primarily targeted at developing
web-applications using server-side JavaScript, XML and PostgreSQL. It runs as an
Apache module (like PHP).

The Whitebeam interface to PostgreSQL allows you to do just about anything you
could do in libpq and in a slightly more object orientated way than the raw PHP
interface (although for PHP there are a number of wrappers).

Whitebeam at http://www.whitebeam.org

The Postgres interface is documented at:
    http://www.whitebeam.org/library/guide/TechNotes/postgres.rhtm

Best regards
Pete