Обсуждение: How to optimize PostgreSQL database size

How to optimize PostgreSQL database size

От
"Linux Portal"
Дата:
The article on the subject can be read here:

  http://linux.inet.hr/optimize_postgresql_database_size.html

Comments most welcome!

Re: How to optimize PostgreSQL database size

От
"Qingqing Zhou"
Дата:
""Linux Portal"" <linportal@gmail.com> wrote
> The article on the subject can be read here:
>
>   http://linux.inet.hr/optimize_postgresql_database_size.html

After dump/restore the database size is 1685 MB and after
vacuum-full/reindex is 1990 MB. Where we saved 305 MB?

Regards,
Qingqing

Re: How to optimize PostgreSQL database size

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Jun 18, 2006, at 10:47 PM, Qingqing Zhou wrote:
> ""Linux Portal"" <linportal@gmail.com> wrote
>> The article on the subject can be read here:
>>
>>   http://linux.inet.hr/optimize_postgresql_database_size.html
>>

> After dump/restore the database size is 1685 MB and after
> vacuum-full/reindex is 1990 MB. Where we saved 305 MB?

My guess would be due to toasted text columns... does VACUUM FULL
know to vacuum the toast tables only after committing the vacuum on
the base heap?

Re: How to optimize PostgreSQL database size

Дата:
Jim Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> On Jun 18, 2006, at 10:47 PM, Qingqing Zhou wrote:
>> After dump/restore the database size is 1685 MB and after
>> vacuum-full/reindex is 1990 MB. Where we saved 305 MB?

> My guess would be due to toasted text columns...

No, it's probably got more to do with the fact that VACUUM FULL stops
trying to compact a table once it finds a row that it can't move down.
There can be quite a lot of empty space left in the table, if one of the
last rows is significantly wider than the average for the table.

            regards, tom lane