Обсуждение: Preformace boost -- by 8.0.4 upgrade to 8.1.4

Preformace boost -- by 8.0.4 upgrade to 8.1.4

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
Hello list,

I am happy to report that I am seeing a 150% average increase in select performance since I
upgraded to 8.1.4.
Version
--------
PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu,
compiled by GCC i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 3.4.6
(Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)

Not to mention, the upgrade was a snap!  I am happy most of all for the documentation of the 8.1.4
manual.

The total upgrade time, including building from source was about an hour.

I want to express my appreciation for all of the hard work, ingenuity, and support offered by the
PostgreSQL Developers and Community.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

planning to upgrade to 8.1

От
"surabhi.ahuja"
Дата:
I am currently using 8.0.0, i heard that 8.1 can help in performance boost especially if the system is multi core processor.
i am also planning to upgrade.
To which version should i upgrade?
Also Please tell if ther will be a need to build my programs again.

I mean is it ok if i use the same libpq stuff.
Only the server needs to be upgraded, or i need to build with new libpq.

Thanks,
regards
Surabhi

I am happy to report that I am seeing a 150% average increase in select performance since I
upgraded to 8.1.4.
Version
--------
PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu,
compiled by GCC i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 3.4.6
(Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)

Not to mention, the upgrade was a snap!  I am happy most of all for the documentation of the 8.1.4
manual.

The total upgrade time, including building from source was about an hour.

I want to express my appreciation for all of the hard work, ingenuity, and support offered by the
PostgreSQL Developers and Community.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: planning to upgrade to 8.1

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
> I am currently using 8.0.0, i heard that 8.1 can help in performance boost especially if the
> system is multi core processor.
> i am also planning to upgrade.
> To which version should i upgrade?
> Also Please tell if ther will be a need to build my programs again.
> I mean is it ok if i use the same libpq stuff.
> Only the server needs to be upgraded, or i need to build with new libpq.

When I upgraded my system, I upgraded both PostgreSQL and libPQ to version 8.1.4.  Before you
decide on anything be sure to read the 8.1 manual in the section regarding upgrading.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: planning to upgrade to 8.1

От
"surabhi.ahuja"
Дата:
it is ok if i uninstall the current version of postgres 8.0.0

which i have done.

i am trying to install the rpms for 8.1.4 FC(4)
Where can i find the instaructions to download the rpms.

what i did was as follows,

1. instal the rpm postgresql-libs-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
2. install the rpm postgresql-libs-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm

however this step was giving errors, some dependency errors

3. install the rpm postgresql-server-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm

is this not the way, i used to follw the above three steps to install 8.0.0 on my m/c.

thanks,
regards
Surabhi

> I am currently using 8.0.0, i heard that 8.1 can help in performance boost especially if the
> system is multi core processor.
> i am also planning to upgrade.
> To which version should i upgrade?
> Also Please tell if ther will be a need to build my programs again.
> I mean is it ok if i use the same libpq stuff.
> Only the server needs to be upgraded, or i need to build with new libpq.

When I upgraded my system, I upgraded both PostgreSQL and libPQ to version 8.1.4.  Before you
decide on anything be sure to read the 8.1 manual in the section regarding upgrading.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: planning to upgrade to 8.1

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
> it is ok if i uninstall the current version of postgres 8.0.0
> which i have done.

Well before you do any un-installing you should read and understand:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/install-upgrading.html

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: planning to upgrade to 8.1

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 20:49:46 +0530,
  "surabhi.ahuja" <surabhi.ahuja@iiitb.ac.in> wrote:
> it is ok if i uninstall the current version of postgres 8.0.0

You need to dump you database(s) first unless you are upgrading to something
in the 8.0.x series.

Re: planning to upgrade to 8.1

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 20:49 +0530, surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> it is ok if i uninstall the current version of postgres 8.0.0

No. Please read this before you proceed:

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000048

http://www.PostgreSQL.org/ftp/binary/v8.1.4/linux/rpms/fedora/fedora-core-4

> what i did was as follows,   1. instal the rpm
> postgresql-libs-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm 2. install the rpm
> postgresql-libs-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm   however this step was giving
> errors, some dependency errors

I think you'll need this RPM also:

http://developer.postgresql.org/~devrim/rpms/compat/compat-postgresql-libs-3-3PGDG.i686.rpm

to satisfy some libpq dependencies.

Regards,

error while installing the 8.1.4 rpms on my m/c

От
"surabhi.ahuja"
Дата:
i have 4 rpms
i first install
compat-postgresql-libs-3-3PGDG.i686.rpm
then i install
postgresql-libs-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm

the i install
postgresql-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm

here i get an error it says

failed dependency
librealdline.so.5 is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm

what do i do?
thanks,
regards
Surabhi

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 20:49 +0530, surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> it is ok if i uninstall the current version of postgres 8.0.0

No. Please read this before you proceed:

http://pgfoundry.org/docman/?group_id=1000048

>  i am trying to install the rpms for 8.1.4 FC(4) Where can i find the
> instaructions to download the rpms.

http://www.PostgreSQL.org/ftp/binary/v8.1.4/linux/rpms/fedora/fedora-core-4

> what i did was as follows,   1. instal the rpm
> postgresql-libs-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm 2. install the rpm
> postgresql-libs-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm   however this step was giving
> errors, some dependency errors

I think you'll need this RPM also:

http://developer.postgresql.org/~devrim/rpms/compat/compat-postgresql-libs-3-3PGDG.i686.rpm

to satisfy some libpq dependencies.

Regards,

Re: error while installing the 8.1.4 rpms on my m/c

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 18:20 +0530, surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> failed dependency librealdline.so.5 is needed by
> postgresql-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm

yum install readline

Regards,