Обсуждение: Where do Tcl questions go?

Where do Tcl questions go?

От
"Carlo Stonebanks"

I have been trying to figure out where to put my plTcl questions, and where the people most knowledgable about that topic may be – either on these mail lists or elsewhere.

Postgres docs makes reference to scripts called: pltcl_loadmod, pltcl_listmod, pltcl_delmod – but I can’t find them anywhere on my Windows 8.1.4 installation. It looks like I need them – as well as requiring some more support for advanced Tcl programming topics such as the “unknown” command, and with using Tcl as a procedural language. The existing documentation appears out of date. Where can I go for all of this?

Carlo

Re: Where do Tcl questions go?

От
"Ian Harding"
Дата:
On 8/1/06, Carlo Stonebanks <stonec.register@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I have been trying to figure out where to put my plTcl questions, and where
> the people most knowledgable about that topic may be – either on these mail
> lists or elsewhere.

TCL is dead.  Long live TCL.

PLTCL was taken out of the core distribution, and is not in contrib.
You have to download it from here

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtclng/download/download.php

There is documentation available as well as Win32 binaries.

This list is as good a place as any to ask!

- Ian

Re: Where do Tcl questions go?

От
"Carlo Stonebanks"
Дата:
I didn't see you answer on the mail list - so please forgive the direct
reply. Thanks you very much for the response - do you develop in plTcl?

I also see that this package is for pgtcl - I am looking for server-side
support, i.e. plTcl. Where can I find that? More specifically, I am looking
for the scripts pltcl_loadmod, pltcl_listmod and pltcl_delmod mentioned in
the PostgreSQL documentation of the "unknown" command.

Carlo

> I have been trying to figure out where to put my plTcl questions, and
where
> the people most knowledgable about that topic may be - either on these
mail
> lists or elsewhere.

TCL is dead.  Long live TCL.

PLTCL was taken out of the core distribution, and is not in contrib.
You have to download it from here

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtclng/download/download.php

There is documentation available as well as Win32 binaries.

This list is as good a place as any to ask!

- Ian

Re: Where do Tcl questions go?

Дата:
"Ian Harding" <iharding@destinydata.com> writes:
> PLTCL was taken out of the core distribution, and is not in contrib.

I think you confused pltcl with pgtcl.  Totally different things
(pltcl is server side, pgtcl client side).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Where do Tcl questions go?

Дата:
"Carlo Stonebanks" <stonec.register@.sympatico.ca> writes:
> ... More specifically, I am looking
> for the scripts pltcl_loadmod, pltcl_listmod and pltcl_delmod mentioned in
> the PostgreSQL documentation of the "unknown" command.

They should be in the same directory as the other postgres executables,
if you have pltcl.

$ ls ~/testversion/bin
clusterdb*       ecpg*            pg_dumpall*      postmaster@
createdb*        initdb*          pg_resetxlog*    psql*
createlang*      ipcclean*        pg_restore*      reindexdb*
createuser*      pg_config*       pltcl_delmod*    vacuumdb*
dropdb*          pg_controldata*  pltcl_listmod*
droplang*        pg_ctl*          pltcl_loadmod*
dropuser*        pg_dump*         postgres*
$

If you don't see them, you should take it up with whoever created the
package you're using.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Where do Tcl questions go?

От
"Carlo Stonebanks"
Дата:
Yes - this statement actually came from a helpful soul who had replied but
did not realise I was talking about pltcl.

I am looking into the "unknown" command because I believe there may be
security issues with using "spource" or "package" commands to access proc
libraries - and that the "unknown" command and its magic tables is the way
to make those libs reside on the server and totally portable. Am I correct?

Carlo

"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in message
> "Ian Harding" <iharding@destinydata.com> writes:
>> PLTCL was taken out of the core distribution, and is not in contrib.
>
> I think you confused pltcl with pgtcl.  Totally different things
> (pltcl is server side, pgtcl client side).
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: Where do Tcl questions go?

От
"Carlo Stonebanks"
Дата:
> If you don't see them, you should take it up with whoever created the
> package you're using.

I thought that's what I was doing - I downloaded postgresql-8.1.4-1.zip from
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.1.4/win32/

Is there somewhere else I should be directing my question?

Carlo