Обсуждение: wal files on temporary tables

wal files on temporary tables

От
marcelo Cortez
Дата:
folks

  I have a asp application connected with postgres.
The postgres temporary tables is useless because i
need remain this tables between sessions, perfomance
reasons.
This tables are created on the fly and remain between
session but asp server finalize connection and
temporary table are dropped .
Then i've  created "normal" tables but the wal file
generated by this tables grows and grows.
This wal file ares useless , temporary information
here.
what is the way to not  generate wal files for this
tables? to identify these archives not to put them in
backup
Any clue?
 best regards
  MDC

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: wal files on temporary tables

От
Enver ALTIN
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 05:32:41PM -0300, marcelo Cortez wrote:
> folks

Hi,

> I have a asp application connected with postgres.  The postgres
> temporary tables is useless because i need remain this tables between
> sessions, perfomance reasons.  This tables are created on the fly and
> remain between session but asp server finalize connection and
> temporary table are dropped .  Then i've  created "normal" tables but
> the wal file generated by this tables grows and grows.  This wal file
> ares useless , temporary information here.  what is the way to not
> generate wal files for this tables? to identify these archives not to
> put them in backup

I'd suggest using right tool for the job. I think you can go with
memcached[1] instead of PostgreSQL.

-HTH

[1] http://www.danga.com/memcached/
--
Enver

Вложения

Re: wal files on temporary tables

Дата:
marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo@yahoo.com.ar> writes:
> Then i've  created "normal" tables but the wal file
> generated by this tables grows and grows.

The WAL files shouldn't grow indefinitely unless you've got some
fairly serious problem that is preventing checkpoints from occurring.
Look in the server log file to see if there are any error messages
about that.

            regards, tom lane

Re: wal files on temporary tables

От
marcelo Cortez
Дата:
Tom

  thanks for to respond quickly, see more below

> marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo@yahoo.com.ar> writes:
> > Then i've  created "normal" tables but the wal
> file
> > generated by this tables grows and grows.
>
> The WAL files shouldn't grow indefinitely unless
> you've got some
> fairly serious problem that is preventing
> checkpoints from occurring.
> Look in the server log file to see if there are any
> error messages
> about that.

 The select as sentence is used for generated
"temporary" or cached tables.

Some tables are very big and generate great quantity
of data, for that reason the wal for this tables
grows.
This information is inutil for propositos of backup
and is useless to keep it.
I explore memcached option or pgmemcache proyect.
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgmemcache/
any sugestion are welcomed.

 best regads,
  MDC

>             regards, tom lane

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: wal files on temporary tables

От
marcelo Cortez
Дата:
Tom

  thanks for to respond quickly, see below

> marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo@yahoo.com.ar> writes:
> > Then i've  created "normal" tables but the wal
> file
> > generated by this tables grows and grows.
>
> The WAL files shouldn't grow indefinitely unless
> you've got some
> fairly serious problem that is preventing
> checkpoints from occurring.
> Look in the server log file to see if there are any
> error messages
> about that.

 The select as sentence is used for generated
"temporary" or cached tables.

Some tables are very big and generate great quantity
of data, for that reason the wal for this tables
grows.
This information is useless for  backup