Обсуждение: Installing on Redhat 7.2

Installing on Redhat 7.2

От
"Dennis Reaves"

Hello all!

I'm trying to install postgresql and I'm getting the following error;

error: failed dependencies:
        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
        libcrypto.so.4   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
        libpq.so.4   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
        libssl.so.4   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
Any suggestion on trying to resolve this?  I can't seem to find anything that helps.

Thanks all!

Thanks!
Dennis Reaves
+1.917.209.4108
MSN: reaves@msn.com ICQ: 2166319
Skype: dennis.reaves

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and/or
privileged. This e-mail is intended to be reviewed initially by only the
individual or individuals named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not
one of the intended recipients or a representative of an intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination or copying of this
e-mail or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by
telephone and permanently delete this e-mail.

Thank you!

Re: Installing on Redhat 7.2

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Aug 30, 2006, at 2:49 PM, Dennis Reaves wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I'm trying to install postgresql and I'm getting the following error;
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
>         libcrypto.so.4   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
>         libpq.so.4   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
>         libssl.so.4   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
> Any suggestion on trying to resolve this?  I can't seem to find
> anything that helps.

Redhat 7.2 is about five years old, which is very old by
the standards of Linux distributions.

I've no doubt that current Postgresql versions will compile from
source and run on 7.2, but you're fairly unlikely to find RPMs
for current versions of PG that support such a geriatric linux
release. You could try installing the various dependent RPMs
you list, but I suspect you'll end up chasing dependencies for
quite a while.

So you most likely need to do one of 1) update your box to
a more recent distribution, 2) install postgresql from source
or 3) start grabbing RPMs to install the newer libraries that
the postgresql RPM you have needs.

Cheers,
   Steve

Re: Installing on Redhat 7.2

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
On Wednesday 30 August 2006 14:49, "Dennis Reaves" <reaves@msn.com> wrote:
> Any suggestion on trying to resolve this?  I can't seem to find anything
> that helps.

a) install an operating system that isn't >5 years old.

or b) try rebuilding packages from the source RPM.

or c) install from source.

Binary RPM's have to be built on a system very similar to the one they will
be running on to meet their dependencies.

--
Alan

Re: Installing on Redhat 7.2

От
Douglas McNaught
Дата:
"Dennis Reaves" <reaves@msn.com> writes:

> Hello all!
>
> I'm trying to install postgresql and I'm getting the following error;
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
>         libcrypto.so.4   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
>         libpq.so.4   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
>         libssl.so.4   is needed by postgresql-8.1.4-3PGDG
> Any suggestion on trying to resolve this?  I can't seem to find anything that
> helps.

RH7.2 is *ancient*.  You will probably have to build from the SRPMs as
the libraries needed by the binary RPMs are much newer than your OS.

-Doug

Re: Installing on Redhat 7.2

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: Installing on Redhat 7.2

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Aug 30, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Steve Atkins wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 30, 2006, at 2:49 PM, Dennis Reaves wrote:
> [snip]
>> I've no doubt that current Postgresql versions will compile from
>> source and run on 7.2, but you're fairly unlikely to find RPMs
>
> Really?  Most system libraries have changed quite a bit in 5 years.
>  If PG uses any new functions, thhtt goes the build.

Postgresql is a well-written, portable package that tries to avoid
stupid linux-specific tricks. I've not tried it, but I'd be surprised if
it didn't compile on an old linux installation with fairly minimal
effort.

Cheers,
   Steve

Re: Installing on Redhat 7.2

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 August 2006 14:49, "Dennis Reaves" <reaves@msn.com> wrote:
>> Any suggestion on trying to resolve this?  I can't seem to find anything
>> that helps.
>
> a) install an operating system that isn't >5 years old.
>
> or b) try rebuilding packages from the source RPM.
>
> or c) install from source.

Option "c" has always worked well for me on RH 7.[23].

The OP may have a problem similar to mine - systems that contains dozens
of quite expensive cards (in my case Dialogic) which are tied to
proprietary drivers with very particular version/kernel requirements. We
run our PG servers on recent OS versions but have to compile
clients/libs on RH 7.2 and 7.3.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Installing on Redhat 7.2