Обсуждение: now() and time zone

now() and time zone

От
Jean-Christophe Roux
Дата:
Hello,
I am a bit sorry to come back on that topic but I just cannot get it right. How comes that
    select now() at time zone 'EST'
returns
    "2006-10-04 15:59:26.713623"
when it is actually 16:59 on the east coast? Can it be that the server where the PostgreSQL database is located is not properly configured?
Many thanks
Jean

Re: now() and time zone

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 02:01:18PM -0700, Jean-Christophe Roux wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a bit sorry to come back on that topic but I just cannot get it right. How comes that
>     select now() at time zone 'EST'
> returns
>     "2006-10-04 15:59:26.713623"
> when it is actually 16:59 on the east coast? Can it be that the server where the PostgreSQL database is located is
notproperly configured?

Maybe there's summar time/daylight savings time? I'm unsure if "EST" is
supposed to reflect that.

You can say things like:

select now() at time zone 'America/California';

Perhaps that gets you something more reasonable?

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения

Re: now() and time zone

От
Jean-Christophe Roux
Дата:
Yes you are right, that's what I have just realized; I should be using EDT instead of EST. Sorry for the bother
JCR

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: now() and time zone

Дата:
Jean-Christophe Roux <jcxxr@yahoo.com> writes:
> I am a bit sorry to come back on that topic but I just cannot get it right. How comes that
>     select now() at time zone 'EST'
> returns
>     "2006-10-04 15:59:26.713623"
> when it is actually 16:59 on the east coast?

USA east coast is currently on EDT ... not EST.

In PG 8.1 and later you can say AT TIME ZONE 'EST5EDT' or
AT TIME ZONE 'America/New_York' to get the behavior I think you are
after.

            regards, tom lane