Обсуждение: How to find out about zlib compression

How to find out about zlib compression

От
"Low Kian Seong"
Дата:
Dear all,

It says in the postgresql 8 documentation :

"If PostgreSQL was built on a system with the zlib compression library installed, the custom dump format will compress data as it writes it to the output file"

My question, if we are using binaries on a rpm based system and without looking at the src.rpm is there a way to query the postgresql server to find out whether it was built against the zlib compression library ?

Thank you in advance

Low Kian Seong

Re: How to find out about zlib compression

От
Thomas Pundt
Дата:
On Sunday 22 October 2006 09:43, Low Kian Seong wrote:
| It says in the postgresql 8 documentation :
|
| "If PostgreSQL was built on a system with the zlib compression library
| installed, the custom dump format will compress data as it writes it to the
| output file"
|
| My question, if we are using binaries on a rpm based system and without
| looking at the src.rpm is there a way to query the postgresql server to
| find out whether it was built against the zlib compression library ?

ldd /path/to/your/bin/postgres | grep libz

Ciao,
Thomas

--
Thomas Pundt <thomas.pundt@rp-online.de> ---- http://rp-online.de/ ----

Re: How to find out about zlib compression

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 09:55:23AM +0200, Thomas Pundt wrote:
> On Sunday 22 October 2006 09:43, Low Kian Seong wrote:
> | It says in the postgresql 8 documentation :
> |
> | "If PostgreSQL was built on a system with the zlib compression library
> | installed, the custom dump format will compress data as it writes it to the
> | output file"
> |
> | My question, if we are using binaries on a rpm based system and without
> | looking at the src.rpm is there a way to query the postgresql server to
> | find out whether it was built against the zlib compression library ?
>
> ldd /path/to/your/bin/postgres | grep libz

You should be checking the libraries used by pg_dump, not postgres.

It's pg_dump that does the compression, the actual server does not use
an external compression library (directly anyway).

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения

Re: How to find out about zlib compression

Дата:
"Low Kian Seong" <postgresql.low@gmail.com> writes:
> My question, if we are using binaries on a rpm based system and without
> looking at the src.rpm is there a way to query the postgresql server to find
> out whether it was built against the zlib compression library ?

pg_config --configure | grep -e '--without-zlib'

In practice, there is 0 chance that an RPM distribution would be built
without zlib.

            regards, tom lane

Re: How to find out about zlib compression

От
"Low Kian Seong"
Дата:
> "Low Kian Seong" <postgresql.low@gmail.com> writes:
> > My question, if we are using binaries on a rpm based system and without
> > looking at the src.rpm is there a way to query the postgresql server to find
> > out whether it was built against the zlib compression library ?
>
> pg_config --configure | grep -e '--without-zlib'

I am using pclinuxos and it seems to come without pg_config.

> In practice, there is 0 chance that an RPM distribution would be built
> without zlib.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Re: How to find out about zlib compression

Дата:
"Low Kian Seong" <postgresql.low@gmail.com> writes:
> On 10/23/06, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> pg_config --configure | grep -e '--without-zlib'

> I am using pclinuxos and it seems to come without pg_config.

It might be in the -devel RPM.

If it's not there at all, get a real linux distro ...

            regards, tom lane