Обсуждение: Mailing list problem?

Mailing list problem?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

Is there a problem on the mail lists?  I've been getting these messages
for a couple of days, one for each and every message that is posted to
the pgsql-es-ayuda list.  It says "executed with failure", but the mail
is certainly delivered.  The archives also appear to be working, so I'm
not sure what's going on.

Is this not happening to other lists?

Thanks,

----- Forwarded message from majordomo-owner@postgresql.org -----

From: majordomo-owner@postgresql.org
To: pgsql-es-ayuda-owner@postgresql.org
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:12:53 -0300
Subject: POST pgsql-es-ayuda gvarona@ec-red.com

The command:
  "(post to pgsql-es-ayuda)"

issued by:
  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Guillermo_Varona_Silup=FA?= <gvarona@ec-red.com>

was executed with status:
  0 (failure)

in session:
  351ceb561e5da3a859ac8f28eec39c21dd3b6622

from the resend interface, taking 0.224 seconds.

----- End forwarded message -----

Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
--- Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a problem on the mail lists?

I know I noticed ~18 hrs delays for my emails to post on the PG-sql list.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: Mailing list problem?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

In order to debug issues that both Josh and I have noticed, where some postings
aren't getting to the list by some ppl, Ihave enabled 'inform post' on the
lists which will send you, as moderator for pgsql-es-ayuda, an email letting
you know that a posting failed ...

Now, under the 'from resend interface', there *should* have been a message as
to why it was rejected, which I'm looking into *why* its not getting added ..

- --On Friday, October 27, 2006 12:24:51 -0300 Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a problem on the mail lists?  I've been getting these messages
> for a couple of days, one for each and every message that is posted to
> the pgsql-es-ayuda list.  It says "executed with failure", but the mail
> is certainly delivered.  The archives also appear to be working, so I'm
> not sure what's going on.
>
> Is this not happening to other lists?
>
> Thanks,
>

> ----- Forwarded message from majordomo-owner@postgresql.org -----
>
> From: majordomo-owner@postgresql.org
> To: pgsql-es-ayuda-owner@postgresql.org
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:12:53 -0300
> Subject: POST pgsql-es-ayuda gvarona@ec-red.com
>
> The command:
>   "(post to pgsql-es-ayuda)"
>
> issued by:
>   =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Guillermo_Varona_Silup=FA?= <gvarona@ec-red.com>
>
> was executed with status:
>   0 (failure)
>
> in session:
>   351ceb561e5da3a859ac8f28eec39c21dd3b6622
>
> from the resend interface, taking 0.224 seconds.
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----
>

> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

- ----

Re: Mailing list problem?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> In order to debug issues that both Josh and I have noticed, where some postings
> aren't getting to the list by some ppl, Ihave enabled 'inform post' on the
> lists which will send you, as moderator for pgsql-es-ayuda, an email letting
> you know that a posting failed ...

Ok, no problem.  They cause no harm in my case, I was just wondering if
there was a sudden problem in the server.

> Now, under the 'from resend interface', there *should* have been a message as
> to why it was rejected, which I'm looking into *why* its not getting added ..

Anyway I wonder why it does report "failure", when the messages do make
it through the list to all subscribers and the archives.  Shouldn't it
report "success" it that case?

(The messages rejected by moderators don't get reported at all.)

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Mailing list problem?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Friday, October 27, 2006 15:54:41 -0300 Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>

> > Anyway I wonder why it does report "failure", when the messages do make
> > it through the list to all subscribers and the archives.  Shouldn't it
> > report "success" it that case?
>
> You shouldn't see anything on successful posts ... at least, I haven't been ...

Well, that's what I'm reporting -- for the successful posts I do get a
message.

> > (The messages rejected by moderators don't get reported at all.)
>
> No reason for it, since you are the one that rejected it, would be kinda
> redundant to email you to remind yourself that you've rejected it, no? :)

Certainly.  (Really I don't need any reminder of anything, much less a
reminder that a message was just successfully posted to the list).

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

'k, the message you sent had:

> was executed with status:
>   0 (failure)

which indicates it failed ... do you have a corresponding URL @ archives that
shows that it did go through that I can check against?

- --On Friday, October 27, 2006 18:44:52 -0300 Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> was executed with status:
>   0 (failure)
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Re: Mailing list problem?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> 'k, the message you sent had:
>
> > was executed with status:
> >   0 (failure)
>
> which indicates it failed ... do you have a corresponding URL @ archives that
> shows that it did go through that I can check against?

Well, I'm not sure but I think it's this one:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/2006-10/msg00565.php

In any case, my point was that I was getting one of those message for
_every and each_ message I saw on the list.  Even my own.

If you haven't changed any config, I assume I can get another one just
be posting, if needed.

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Mailing list problem?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Friday, October 27, 2006 19:05:01 -0300 Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/2006-10/msg00565.php
>
> The one you sent me is from ~2 hours after the original post:
>
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:12:53 -0300
>
> The original was:
>
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:16:17 -0500
>
> I hate time zones, but if I'm right, the original was an hour earlier then the
> second one that went through ... so was rejected due to it being a duplicate of
> one that already went through ...
>
> Of course, that's assuming they are the same one ;)

No, I don't think that's the case, because I get the "POST" message just
after getting the actual message to the list.  I tried again, and sent
a test message, which was archived here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/2006-10/msg00575.php

Attached are the POST message and the message I got from the list.

I think the other message did not have matching dates because the
sender's machine doesn't have a sync'ed clock.  Mine is NTP'd.  (Also
this example is simpler because all times are in -0300).

Maybe you are right that there is a duplicate, but in that case then
it's something inside the postgresql.org mail handling that's causing
duplicates to be received by majordomo, because I *certainly* did not
send the message a second time.

Today I got a whole bunch of POST messages, all corresponding to the
messages I have received.

(BTW the clock at lists.commandprompt.com (which is my outbound SMTP)
appears to be 4 seconds ahead).

El servidor parece tener hipo por algun motivo.  No se molesten en contestar.

---------------------------(fin del mensaje)---------------------------
TIP 3: si publicas/lees desde Usenet, por favor env�a "subscribe-nomail"
       a majordomo@postgresql.org para que tus mensajes puedan llegar
       a los suscriptores de la lista
The command:
  "(post to pgsql-es-ayuda)"

issued by:
  Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>

was executed with status:
  0 (failure)

in session:
  971b911e53836575418e30584df04f217817bd6c

from the resend interface, taking 0.489 seconds.