Обсуждение: 8.1.2 postmaster died

8.1.2 postmaster died

От
"Ed L."
Дата:
One of our 8.1.2 postmasters on HPUX 11.23 ia64 just received a
SIGKILL signal from unknown origins.  After reviewing all
command history files for the DBA and root, I do not believe
anyone manually sent it, and we have no scripts etc that would
do that, at least that we can find or imagine.  The machine had
ample RAM available.

Any ideas where could this SIGKILL would have come from?

Thanks,
Ed

Re: 8.1.2 postmaster died

От
"Talha Khan"
Дата:
Hi Ed,

You need to look through the log files for details.

Regards
Talha Khan

On 11/8/06, Ed L. < pgsql@bluepolka.net> wrote:

One of our 8.1.2 postmasters on HPUX 11.23 ia64 just received a
SIGKILL signal from unknown origins.  After reviewing all
command history files for the DBA and root, I do not believe
anyone manually sent it, and we have no scripts etc that would
do that, at least that we can find or imagine.  The machine had
ample RAM available.

Any ideas where could this SIGKILL would have come from?

Thanks,
Ed

               http://archives.postgresql.org/

Re: 8.1.2 postmaster died

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
To be specific you need to look at the syslogs to see if it was actually some OOM killer or not.

Thanks,
-------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

On 11/9/06, Talha Khan <talha.amjad@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Ed,

You need to look through the log files for details.

Regards
Talha Khan

On 11/8/06, Ed L. < pgsql@bluepolka.net> wrote:

One of our 8.1.2 postmasters on HPUX 11.23 ia64 just received a
SIGKILL signal from unknown origins.  After reviewing all
command history files for the DBA and root, I do not believe
anyone manually sent it, and we have no scripts etc that would
do that, at least that we can find or imagine.  The machine had
ample RAM available.

Any ideas where could this SIGKILL would have come from?

Thanks,
Ed

               http://archives.postgresql.org/

Re: 8.1.2 postmaster died

От
"Talha Khan"
Дата:
Hi Ed,

I don't think its pgsql thats sending the SIGKILL its being done by the OS. The reason can only be confirmed after looking at your log files but the probability is that your OS ran out of memory and in order to protect itself it had to kill the processes that were taking a lot of memory thus ended up killing pgsql processes. Its just a hunch that i have but the reason can only be confirmed after seeing your logs.

Regards
Talha Khan

On 11/9/06, Ed Loehr <ed@loehrtech.com> wrote:
On Wednesday November 8 2006 12:30 pm, Shoaib Mir wrote:
> To be specific you need to look at the syslogs to see if it
> was actually some OOM killer or not.

I checked all db logs + syslog, of course.  All they show is the
process receiving SIGKILL (followed by all others being shutdown
as a result).

Is there any circumstance at all under which pgsql itself would
issue a sigkill to one of the backends?

Ed

Re: 8.1.2 postmaster died

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
Have a look at "16.4.3. Linux Memory Overcommit" on http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/kernel-resources.html

Thanks,
------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

On 11/9/06, Talha Khan < talha.amjad@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Ed,

I don't think its pgsql thats sending the SIGKILL its being done by the OS. The reason can only be confirmed after looking at your log files but the probability is that your OS ran out of memory and in order to protect itself it had to kill the processes that were taking a lot of memory thus ended up killing pgsql processes. Its just a hunch that i have but the reason can only be confirmed after seeing your logs.

Regards
Talha Khan

On 11/9/06, Ed Loehr < ed@loehrtech.com> wrote:
On Wednesday November 8 2006 12:30 pm, Shoaib Mir wrote:
> To be specific you need to look at the syslogs to see if it
> was actually some OOM killer or not.

I checked all db logs + syslog, of course.  All they show is the
process receiving SIGKILL (followed by all others being shutdown
as a result).

Is there any circumstance at all under which pgsql itself would
issue a sigkill to one of the backends?

Ed

Re: 8.1.2 postmaster died

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 11:52:48AM +0500, Shoaib Mir wrote:
> Have a look at "16.4.3. Linux Memory Overcommit" on
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/kernel-resources.html

If you look at the beginning of the thread you'dve seen we're talking
about HPUX here...

Maybe they have an OOM killer too? Although maybe it's quotas?

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения

Re: 8.1.2 postmaster died

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
Look at the database server logs and see what actually was happening just before the server crashed... do you have the auto vacuuming running at backend? or was there some client making connection just when the server did crash? .... your db logs can actually help you here.

Thank you,
-----------

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   < kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: 8.1.2 postmaster died

От
Ed Loehr
Дата:
On Wednesday November 8 2006 12:30 pm, Shoaib Mir wrote:
> To be specific you need to look at the syslogs to see if it
> was actually some OOM killer or not.

I checked all db logs + syslog, of course.  All they show is the
process receiving SIGKILL (followed by all others being shutdown
as a result).

Is there any circumstance at all under which pgsql itself would
issue a sigkill to one of the backends?

Ed

Re: 8.1.2 postmaster died

Дата:
Ed Loehr <ed@loehrtech.com> writes:
> Is there any circumstance at all under which pgsql itself would
> issue a sigkill to one of the backends?

No.  Other signals yes, but not SIGKILL.

            regards, tom lane