Обсуждение: about the RULE system

about the RULE system

От
Rafal Pietrak
Дата:
Hi All,

This is something that bugs me for some time now. I have:

(as user postgres I do)
    CREATE TABLE debi (id int, name text);
    REVOKE ALL ON debi FROM public;
    CREATE FUNCTION piti() RETURNS "trigger" AS $$ DECLARE me RECORD; BEGIN
select * into me FROM pg_authid; new.id := me.oid; new.name :=
me.rolname; return new; END $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

    INSERT INTO debi (id,name) VALUES (22, 'jklsdf');
    INSERT 0 1
    INSERT INTO debi (id,name) VALUES (22, 'jklsdf');
    INSERT 0 1

    CREATE VIEW mdebi as SELECT * from debi;
    GRANT SELECT, insert on mdebi to public;

(now I become common user)
    SELECT * from debi;
    ERROR:  permission denied for relation debi

    SELECT * from mdebi;
     id |   name
    ----+----------
     10 | postgres
     10 | postgres
    (2 rows)

So far so good. But the insert fails:

    INSERT INTO mdebi (id,name) VALUES (22, 'jklsdf');
    ERROR:  permission denied for relation pg_authid
    CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT  * from pg_authid"
    PL/pgSQL function "piti" line 1 at select into variables

So it looks like the VIEW have elevated my security level thus allowing
me to access the DEBI table (SELECT statement), but inside of the
TRIGGER within DEBI I'm back with my original security level. This is
weird.

I thought trigger functions execute at root/postgres security level?

But definitely I though, once I've passed VIEW access control, I'm prity
mutch root/postgres superuser.

Apparently not so.

Why I can "SELECT * FROM pg_authid" within SELECT, and I cannot do that
within INSERT (to the same table/view) is a real mistery to me.

But, is there a way around it? (meaning: to have a trigger function do
it's security related job on a table *not* publically accesable, but
available for public access only through a specially designed VIEW).

One thing though. I *realy* *really* *need* to do the job using trigger
functions. Functions called from within the RULE-set are not an option
here - although I wouldn't like to elaborate.

Thenx

--
-R

Re: about the RULE system

Дата:
Rafal Pietrak <rafal@zorro.isa-geek.com> writes:
> I thought trigger functions execute at root/postgres security level?

No.  You probably want to make that function SECURITY DEFINER so it
executes as the owner, but this isn't default for triggers.

            regards, tom lane

Re: about the RULE system

От
Rafal Pietrak
Дата:
> Rafal Pietrak <rafal@zorro.isa-geek.com> writes:
> > I thought trigger functions execute at root/postgres security level?
>
> No.  You probably want to make that function SECURITY DEFINER so it
> executes as the owner, but this isn't default for triggers.

Hmmm. Have checked it, and it does not look promissing.

Obviously, when I define function with "SECURITY DEFINER" I need to
limit access to that function. But....

"REVOKE ALL ON FUNCTION piti() FROM PUBLIC"

Doe not seam to have any effect on functions installed as a trigger.

I have just checked it, and my 'common user' is able to "INSERT INTO
debi (id,name) VALUES (22, 'jklsdf')" after the above REVOKE.

How do I limit access to such function?

Even worse, my 'common user' was able to CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE, and
install that function on that table, although "PUBLIC.SCHEMA" is
available for USAGE only for those users. I generally accept 'common
user' to have the ability to create temporary tables, but the takeover
trigger function designed to other purposes AND DEFINED with "security
definer" is not really acceptable.

How can I limit that sort of missuse?
--
-R

Re: about the RULE system

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 15:36, Rafal Pietrak wrote:
> > Rafal Pietrak <rafal@zorro.isa-geek.com> writes:
> > > I thought trigger functions execute at root/postgres security level?
> >
> > No.  You probably want to make that function SECURITY DEFINER so it
> > executes as the owner, but this isn't default for triggers.
>
> Hmmm. Have checked it, and it does not look promissing.
>
> Obviously, when I define function with "SECURITY DEFINER" I need to
> limit access to that function. But....
>
> "REVOKE ALL ON FUNCTION piti() FROM PUBLIC"
>
> Doe not seam to have any effect on functions installed as a trigger.

Does your "common user" have the permission to create users?

Re: about the RULE system

От
Rafal Pietrak
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 15:43 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 15:36, Rafal Pietrak wrote:
> >

> > "REVOKE ALL ON FUNCTION piti() FROM PUBLIC"
> >
> > Doe not seam to have any effect on functions installed as a trigger.
>
> Does your "common user" have the permission to create users?

No (although the one I've initially tested this scenario on, was in a
group that did have that permission).

But this time I've tested this on user "niby":
 \du niby
                               List of roles
 Role name | Superuser | Create role | Create DB | Connections | Member
of
-----------+-----------+-------------+-----------+-------------+-----------
 niby      | no        | no          | no        | no limit    |
(1 row)
CREATE TEMP TABLE mini (id int, name text, fix int, emul text);
CREATE TRIGGER adad  BEFORE INSERT ON mini FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
PROCEDURE piti();
INSERT INTO mini (name,emul,id,fix) VALUES
('cz_'||(random()*1000000)::integer,'jasdklad', 130003, 1012 );
INSERT 0 1

where piti() is the function I've described earlier, and did REVOKE ALL
on that function.

*all* the above statements are executed as user "niby". The SCHEMA has:
REVOKE ALL; GRANT USAGE; It *does*not* have "GRANT CREATE".

I hope you can copy the results.

--
-R

Re: about the RULE system

От
"Albe Laurenz"
Дата:
>>> "REVOKE ALL ON FUNCTION piti() FROM PUBLIC"
>>>
>>> Doe not seam to have any effect on functions installed as a trigger.
>>
>> Does your "common user" have the permission to create users?
>
> No (although the one I've initially tested this scenario on, was in a
> group that did have that permission).
[...]
> I hope you can copy the results.

I can indeed recreate something similar here on PostgreSQL 8.1.4.

Permissions on a trigger function seem to not be checked,
and I can execute a function for which I have no privileges.

I consider this a security leak - or am I missing something?

Here is a _complete_ example:

As superuser, create a trigger function that selects from pg_authid
with SECURITY INVOKER, and REVOKE EXECUTE FROM public:

test=# \c test postgres
You are now connected to database "test" as user "postgres".
test=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION insert_oid() RETURNS trigger AS
test-# $$BEGIN SELECT oid INTO NEW.useroid FROM pg_catalog.pg_authid
WHERE rolname = user; RETURN NEW; END;$$
test-# LANGUAGE plpgsql STABLE STRICT SECURITY DEFINER;
CREATE FUNCTION
test=# REVOKE EXECUTE ON FUNCTION insert_oid() FROM public;
REVOKE
test=# SELECT proacl FROM pg_catalog.pg_proc WHERE proname =
'insert_oid';
        proacl
-----------------------
 {postgres=X/postgres}
(1 row)

As normal user, try to execute the function or select from
pg_catalog.pg_authid directly, both fail as expected.

test=# \c test laurenz
You are now connected to database "test" as user "laurenz".
test=> SELECT insert_oid();
ERROR:  permission denied for function insert_oid
test=> SELECT oid FROM pg_catalog.pg_authid WHERE rolname = user;
ERROR:  permission denied for relation pg_authid

Create a temporary table, define a trigger BEFORE INSERT using the
function that we cannot execute:

test=> CREATE TEMP TABLE lautest (id integer PRIMARY KEY, useroid oid
NOT NULL);
"lautest_pkey" for table "lautest"
CREATE TABLE
test=> CREATE TRIGGER insert_oid BEFORE INSERT ON lautest FOR EACH ROW
EXECUTE PROCEDURE insert_oid();
CREATE TRIGGER

Insert a row into the table.
The trigger function is executed, and I have selected a value from
pg_authid!

test=> INSERT INTO lautest (id) VALUES (1);
INSERT 0 1
test=> SELECT * FROM lautest;
 id | useroid
----+---------
  1 |      10
(1 row)

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: about the RULE system

От
Rafal Pietrak
Дата:
Looks like this thread have died away.

But since this permission check looks like a security issue to me too,
I'd really apreciate someones explanation on why it is not ... if it is
not.

But if it is a security leak I'd like to pass it over as bug report - so
it does not disapear from sight.

-R

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 12:51 +0100, Albe Laurenz wrote:

> >> Does your "common user" have the permission to create users?
> >
> > No (although the one I've initially tested this scenario on, was in a
> > group that did have that permission).
> [...]
> > I hope you can copy the results.
>
> I can indeed recreate something similar here on PostgreSQL 8.1.4.
>
> Permissions on a trigger function seem to not be checked,
> and I can execute a function for which I have no privileges.
>
> I consider this a security leak - or am I missing something?
>
> Here is a _complete_ example:
>
> As superuser, create a trigger function that selects from pg_authid
> with SECURITY INVOKER, and REVOKE EXECUTE FROM public:
>
> test=# \c test postgres
> You are now connected to database "test" as user "postgres".
> test=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION insert_oid() RETURNS trigger AS
> test-# $$BEGIN SELECT oid INTO NEW.useroid FROM pg_catalog.pg_authid
> WHERE rolname = user; RETURN NEW; END;$$
> test-# LANGUAGE plpgsql STABLE STRICT SECURITY DEFINER;
> CREATE FUNCTION
> test=# REVOKE EXECUTE ON FUNCTION insert_oid() FROM public;
> REVOKE
> test=# SELECT proacl FROM pg_catalog.pg_proc WHERE proname =
> 'insert_oid';
>         proacl
> -----------------------
>  {postgres=X/postgres}
> (1 row)
>
> As normal user, try to execute the function or select from
> pg_catalog.pg_authid directly, both fail as expected.
>
> test=# \c test laurenz
> You are now connected to database "test" as user "laurenz".
> test=> SELECT insert_oid();
> ERROR:  permission denied for function insert_oid
> test=> SELECT oid FROM pg_catalog.pg_authid WHERE rolname = user;
> ERROR:  permission denied for relation pg_authid
>
> Create a temporary table, define a trigger BEFORE INSERT using the
> function that we cannot execute:
>
> test=> CREATE TEMP TABLE lautest (id integer PRIMARY KEY, useroid oid
> NOT NULL);
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
> "lautest_pkey" for table "lautest"
> CREATE TABLE
> test=> CREATE TRIGGER insert_oid BEFORE INSERT ON lautest FOR EACH ROW
> EXECUTE PROCEDURE insert_oid();
> CREATE TRIGGER
>
> Insert a row into the table.
> The trigger function is executed, and I have selected a value from
> pg_authid!
>
> test=> INSERT INTO lautest (id) VALUES (1);
> INSERT 0 1
> test=> SELECT * FROM lautest;
>  id | useroid
> ----+---------
>   1 |      10
> (1 row)
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

>        match

Re: about the RULE system

Дата:
Rafal Pietrak <rafal@zorro.isa-geek.com> writes:
> Looks like this thread have died away.

No, it moved to the appropriate mailing list:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-12/msg00564.php

            regards, tom lane