Обсуждение: Creating an Independant Application

Creating an Independant Application

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
Hi

I have managed to turn my host software into an executable. It runs well using my installed database and server.

What files in PostgreSQL do I need to include to have the host software, the PostgreSQL server and database run as an independant application??

Bob Pawley

Re: Creating an Independant Application

От
John McCawley
Дата:
I'm not quite sure I understand your question, do you mean that you wish
to distribute an "all-in-one" installer for a client machine that will
include both your app and PostgreSQL?

It all depends on the complexity of your database backend.  If this is
small, quick-and-dirty app,  I don't know if PostgreSQL is the best
match for a setup like that.  Other people on this list may disagree,
but I tend to think that a full-blown RDBMS is overkill for that sort of
problem.  If your app is in C/C++, you may want to check out SQLite:

http://www.sqlite.org/

If you're programming in a Windows-centric environment, you may want to
consider using an Access .mdb backend and programming to it through ADO.

Bob Pawley wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have managed to turn my host software into an executable. It runs
> well using my installed database and server.
>
> What files in PostgreSQL do I need to include to have the host
> software, the PostgreSQL server and database run as an independant
> application??
>
> Bob Pawley

Re: Creating an Independant Application

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
I've already built the PostgreSQL database. Now I want to turn it and the
Delphi interface (host) into a distributable application.

I am using Installshield and I need to pick up the files in Postgres to
include.

Bob Pawley

> I'm not quite sure I understand your question, do you mean that you wish
> to distribute an "all-in-one" installer for a client machine that will
> include both your app and PostgreSQL?
>
> It all depends on the complexity of your database backend.  If this is
> small, quick-and-dirty app,  I don't know if PostgreSQL is the best match
> for a setup like that.  Other people on this list may disagree, but I tend
> to think that a full-blown RDBMS is overkill for that sort of problem.  If
> your app is in C/C++, you may want to check out SQLite:
>
> http://www.sqlite.org/
>
> If you're programming in a Windows-centric environment, you may want to
> consider using an Access .mdb backend and programming to it through ADO.
>

> Bob Pawley wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>  I have managed to turn my host software into an executable. It runs well
>> using my installed database and server.
>>  What files in PostgreSQL do I need to include to have the host software,
>> the PostgreSQL server and database run as an independant application??
>>  Bob Pawley

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Creating an Independant Application

От
John McCawley
Дата:
Here is a link to the source for the current Windows PostgreSQL installer:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller/

I'm not an expert on the architecture of the PostgreSQL server
installer, but I'd venture a guess that there is more to it than simply
copying files over and registering DLL files.  PostgreSQL is registered
as a service IIRC, and doing that in an installer, while do-able, is not
simple.  Assuming that you get that up and running perfectly, you still
have to set up your database, create your users, etc., unless you made
your installer copy over the exact backend that you're currently using.

If I were going to try to tackle this I would do the following:

1) Dig through the PostgreSQL Windows installer source to see what it is
doing

2) Make a decision to either shell out to the existing PostgreSQL
Windows installer, or wrap up its functionality into my own

3) Make a decision to either make the installer install my database "as
is" (use my current backend as the source files, if that's even
possible), or make my installer run scripts to setup my user/database
environment.  I'd probably also put some sort of testing functionality
into the installer to make sure the environment is setup as my app is
expecting.

As I said in my last message, I think this approach is overkill for a
small project.  I know I wouldn't want to do all of this unless I had a
really good reason to be using PostgreSQL on the client side!  One other
thing:  It's possible that someone has put together some project for
exactly what you're trying to do.  I haven't seen anything of the sort,
but that's not to say one doesn't exist.  So, my actual step 1) would be:

1) Look for an existing installer project, or HOWTO specifically geared
towards "rolling your own" custom Windows PostgreSQL installer.

Bob Pawley wrote:

> I've already built the PostgreSQL database. Now I want to turn it and
> the Delphi interface (host) into a distributable application.
>
> I am using Installshield and I need to pick up the files in Postgres
> to include.
>
> Bob Pawley
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John McCawley" <nospam@hardgeus.com>

"Johann Campbell"
Дата:
I think Postgres has to be installed as a service. Seems as if what you are
looking for is more of an embeddable solution in which the libraries can
move with the app per se.

Johann.

"Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I've already built the PostgreSQL database. Now I want to turn it and the
> Delphi interface (host) into a distributable application.
>
> I am using Installshield and I need to pick up the files in Postgres to
> include.
>
> Bob Pawley

Дата:
Yes

I want to include the service and the tables, triggers etc. as an
installable application for one, or more, users.

I don't know if this is considered embedded or not, but there seems to be a
lack of infomation on how to accomplish this.

Bob

>I think Postgres has to be installed as a service. Seems as if what you are
>looking for is more of an embeddable solution in which the libraries can
>move with the app per se.
>
> Johann.
>
> "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> I've already built the PostgreSQL database. Now I want to turn it and the
>> Delphi interface (host) into a distributable application.
>>
>> I am using Installshield and I need to pick up the files in Postgres to
>> include.
>>
>> Bob Pawley

Tony Caduto
Дата:
Bob Pawley wrote:
> Yes
>
> I want to include the service and the tables, triggers etc. as an
> installable application for one, or more, users.
>
> I don't know if this is considered embedded or not, but there seems to
> be a lack of infomation on how to accomplish this.
>
> Bob
>

> -
Hi Bob,
You can easily accomplish it using Inno setup and the full installer I
created for Postgresql,
you simply have to add  you app to the Inno setup script and your done.

Complete source is available here:
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/downloads/pg_installer_setup.zip
 and I licensed the script as BSD.

You can get all the Inno setup stuff here:
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

Hope this helps you out.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: Creating an Independant Application

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
Thanks Tony

What PostgreSQL files do I use?

Bob
>> I want to include the service and the tables, triggers etc. as an
>> installable application for one, or more, users.
>>
>> I don't know if this is considered embedded or not, but there seems to
>> be a lack of infomation on how to accomplish this.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> -
> Hi Bob,
> You can easily accomplish it using Inno setup and the full installer I
> created for Postgresql,
> you simply have to add  you app to the Inno setup script and your done.
>
> Complete source is available here:
> http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com/downloads/pg_installer_setup.zip
> and I licensed the script as BSD.
>
> You can get all the Inno setup stuff here:
> http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
>
> Hope this helps you out.
>
> Later,
>
> --
> Tony Caduto
> AM Software Design
> http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com
> Home of PG Lightning Admin for Postgresql
> Your best bet for Postgresql Administration

>       match

Re: Creating an Independant Application

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
Bob Pawley wrote:
> Thanks Tony
>
> What PostgreSQL files do I use?
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,
you need these files:

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp?file=binary%2Fv8.1.5%2Fwin32%2Fpostgresql-8.1.5-1-binaries-no-installer.zip

You will need to modify the Inno script so it points to the correct
location on your system.

I have not tested it with 8.2.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com
Your best bet for Postgresql Administration

Re: Creating an Independant Application

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
What is the best way of installing the tables, triggers etc?  Do I add a
project dump file or generate them from an sql file?

Bob

> You will need to modify the Inno script so it points to the correct
> location on your system.
>
> I have not tested it with 8.2.
>
> --
> Tony Caduto
> AM Software Design
> http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com
> Home of PG Lightning Admin for Postgresql
> Your best bet for Postgresql Administration

Re: Creating an Independant Application

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
Bob Pawley wrote:
> What is the best way of installing the tables, triggers etc?  Do I add
> a project dump file or generate them from an sql file?
>
> Bob

Bob,

I would just have a sql script with the create database etc and then
after the server is up and running, execute the script via psql or you
could add a delphi DLL to do it with
Zeos or some other PG component set.

The script uses Pascal scripting to start the service, so you will know
when and if it started successfully.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto