Обсуждение: Starting Postgresql

Starting Postgresql

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
I haven't used the command lines previously having relied on PG Admin.

In the instructions -

"Starting postmaster

Nothing can happen to a database unless the postmaster process is running. As the site administrator, there are a number of things you should remember before starting the postmaster. These are discussed in the installation and configuration sections of this manual. However, if Postgres has been installed by following the installation instructions exactly as written, the following simple command is all you should need to start the postmaster:

% postmaster "
- nowhere is it stated where the command is typed.
Perhaps someone can tell me?
Bob Pawley

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
a shell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_%28computing%29

--
You have no chance to survive make your time.

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
which in PostgreSQL is????

Bob

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:59:05AM -0800, Bob Pawley wrote:
>> I haven't used the command lines previously having relied on PG Admin.
>>
>> In the instructions -
>> "Starting postmaster
>> Nothing can happen to a database unless the postmaster process is
>> running. As the site administrator, there are a number of things you
>> should remember before starting the postmaster. These are discussed in
>> the installation and configuration sections of this manual. However, if
>> Postgres has been installed by following the installation instructions
>> exactly as written, the following simple command is all you should need
>> to start the postmaster:
>>
>> % postmaster "- nowhere is it stated where the command is typed.Perhaps
>> someone can tell me?Bob Pawley
> --
> You have no chance to survive make your time.

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
which in PostgreSQL is????

Bob

>> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:59:05AM -0800, Bob Pawley wrote:
>>> I haven't used the command lines previously having relied on PG Admin.
>>>
>>> In the instructions -
>>> "Starting postmaster
>>> Nothing can happen to a database unless the postmaster process is
>>> running. As the site administrator, there are a number of things you
>>> should remember before starting the postmaster. These are discussed in
>>> the installation and configuration sections of this manual. However, if
>>> Postgres has been installed by following the installation instructions
>>> exactly as written, the following simple command is all you should need
>>> to start the postmaster:
>>>
>>> % postmaster "- nowhere is it stated where the command is typed.Perhaps
>>> someone can tell me?Bob Pawley
>> --
>> You have no chance to survive make your time.

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
"Raymond O'Donnell"
Дата:
On 20 Dec 2006 at 11:12, Bob Pawley wrote:

> which in PostgreSQL is????

It's not in PostgreSQL - it's the shell of your operating system. In
Windows, you get that either by clicking Start -> Run and typing
"command" or "cmd" (depending on your version of windows), or by
clicking on Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command prompt.

--Ray

Raymond O'Donnell
Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Galway, Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2006 at 11:12, Bob Pawley wrote:
>
>> which in PostgreSQL is????
>
> It's not in PostgreSQL - it's the shell of your operating system. In
> Windows, you get that either by clicking Start -> Run and typing
> "command" or "cmd" (depending on your version of windows), or by
> clicking on Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command prompt.

But in any case, you probably don't want to start it like that. On
Windows you probably want to go into the service manager (in
administrative tools iirc) and on Linux something like
/etc/init.d/postgresql start - that way you'll get the proper startup
sequence, setting any environment variables and redirecting logging etc.

By the way - what page were you quoting that intruction from? I don't
recognise it. I'm particularly puzzled because it referred to "Postgres"
rather than "PostgreSQL".

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 11:13 -0800, Bob Pawley wrote:
> which in PostgreSQL is????

Bob, you should be looking into your control-panel and service controls
to start the postgresql service.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Bob

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
Here's the url http://fusion.gat.com/~osborne/dbdoc/postgres/postmaster.htm

Bob

>> On 20 Dec 2006 at 11:12, Bob Pawley wrote:
>>
>>> which in PostgreSQL is????
>>
>> It's not in PostgreSQL - it's the shell of your operating system. In
>> Windows, you get that either by clicking Start -> Run and typing
>> "command" or "cmd" (depending on your version of windows), or by
>> clicking on Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command prompt.
>
> But in any case, you probably don't want to start it like that. On
> Windows you probably want to go into the service manager (in
> administrative tools iirc) and on Linux something like
> /etc/init.d/postgresql start - that way you'll get the proper startup
> sequence, setting any environment variables and redirecting logging etc.
>
> By the way - what page were you quoting that intruction from? I don't
> recognise it. I'm particularly puzzled because it referred to "Postgres"
> rather than "PostgreSQL".
>
> --
>   Richard Huxton
>   Archonet Ltd

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
"Uwe C. Schroeder"
Дата:
I think you're better off to use the official documentation.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/

(chose the docs for the version you're running on the right side of that
page).

The docs you're currently referencing are for 7.0 - which is stone-age
postgresql.

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 11:57, Bob Pawley wrote:
> Here's the url http://fusion.gat.com/~osborne/dbdoc/postgres/postmaster.htm
>
> Bob

    UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    1618 Kelly St
Phone:  +1 707 568 3056        Santa Rosa, CA 95401

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
George Weaver
Дата:
Original Message From Bob Pawley

> Here's the url
> http://fusion.gat.com/~osborne/dbdoc/postgres/postmaster.htm

Bob,

The above documentation is circa version 7.0.

It might be easier to use the current PostgreSQL official documentation.
See for example:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/server-start.html

Regards,
George

Re: Starting Postgresql

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Bob Pawley wrote:
> Here's the url http://fusion.gat.com/~osborne/dbdoc/postgres/postmaster.htm

As the others say, use the official docs. And perhaps drop osborne a
note to let him know his docs are out of date.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd