Обсуждение: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
Anyone else get spam from EnterpriseDB today, talking about
"Postgresql Support Services"?

I got one to an email address most likely harvested from one of the
Postgresql mailing lists. Ingrid Catlin over at EnterpriseDB
confirmed that they sent the mail, but that Rich Romanik provided
them with the list of email addresses "so it isn't spam".

Cheers,
   Steve

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Jaime Casanova"
Дата:
On 1/18/07, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:
> Anyone else get spam from EnterpriseDB today, talking about
> "Postgresql Support Services"?

yes...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."
                                       Richard Cook

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Clodoaldo
Дата:
2007/1/18, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>:
> Anyone else get spam from EnterpriseDB today, talking about
> "Postgresql Support Services"?
>
> I got one to an email address most likely harvested from one of the
> Postgresql mailing lists. Ingrid Catlin over at EnterpriseDB
> confirmed that they sent the mail, but that Rich Romanik provided
> them with the list of email addresses "so it isn't spam".

I received that. I think it does not matter who provided the list. The
point is I didn't ask for emails from them.

I receive two or three hundred spams each day, so it does not make a
difference. It is just that it is bad behavior from postgresql
community people. A shame.

Regards,
--
Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Jorge Godoy
Дата:
"Jaime Casanova" <systemguards@gmail.com> writes:

> On 1/18/07, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:
>> Anyone else get spam from EnterpriseDB today, talking about
>> "Postgresql Support Services"?
>>

> yes...

Same here...  Already reported their spam to spamcop...  It is nice that I got
3 messages from them, one for each email of mine, so they got a bit more of
spam status at the bayesian filters I manage and also were reported 3 times to
some anti-spam services.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Gregory S. Williamson"
Дата:
I got one as well ... not a big deal in my mind since it's only happened once (weekly would be offensive), and it's not
entirelyout of the realm of possibility that we'd have use for their services (I try to keep an update list of possible
resourcesfor my employers in the event that I get hit by a meteor or a bus or something equally debilitating).

Still, I think there might be an appropriate mailing list for this sort of commercial announcement which would be
betterthan the "retail" approach.

My $0.02 worth ...

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s)and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those
provisions.Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient,please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(my bosses made me say that)

Anyone else get spam from EnterpriseDB today, talking about
"Postgresql Support Services"?

I got one to an email address most likely harvested from one of the
Postgresql mailing lists. Ingrid Catlin over at EnterpriseDB
confirmed that they sent the mail, but that Rich Romanik provided
them with the list of email addresses "so it isn't spam".

Cheers,
   Steve

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Click link below if it is SPAM gsw@globexplorer.com

"https://mailscanner.globexplorer.com/dspam/dspam.cgi?signatureID=45b00777302212117817174&user=gsw@globexplorer.com&retrain=spam&template=history&history_page=1"
!DSPAM:45b00777302212117817174!

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Gregory S. Williamson wrote:
> I got one as well ... not a big deal in my mind since it's only happened once (weekly would be offensive), and it's
notentirely out of the realm of possibility that we'd have use for their services (I try to keep an update list of
possibleresources for my employers in the event that I get hit by a meteor or a bus or something equally debilitating).

It is pretty bad mojo to harvest emails from a community list to
generate targets for a spam. Keep in mind they didn't email you. They
emailed people on the list. I mean just look at the email...

Dear First Name,

> Still, I think there might be an appropriate mailing list for this sort of commercial announcement which would be
betterthan the "retail" approach.

There is... it's called pgsql-announce, and they know it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> My $0.02 worth ...
>
> Greg Williamson
> DBA
> GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company
>
> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s)and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those
provisions.Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient,please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

> (my bosses made me say that)

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
On Thursday 18 January 2007 15:54, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:
> Anyone else get spam from EnterpriseDB today, talking about
> "Postgresql Support Services"?

yep.  You really would think that even the marketing weenies might know
better by now.

Hopefully whoever is responsible is cleaning out their desk this afternoon.

--
"The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by
parts ... the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Alan Hodgson
Дата:
On Thursday 18 January 2007 16:44, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> Harsh, aren't we?
>
> Rich and Garland weren't peddling pr0n or a pump-and-dump stock
> scam.  The fact that they've lost some (a lot of?) respect from
> potential customers will be pain enough.

Spam is spam.  I don't care what they're selling.  Anyone dumb enough to
send spam in 2006 should be fired on the spot.

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Jaime Casanova"
Дата:
On 1/18/07, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 15:54, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:
> > Anyone else get spam from EnterpriseDB today, talking about
> > "Postgresql Support Services"?
> >

> yep.  You really would think that even the marketing weenies might know
> better by now.
>
> Hopefully whoever is responsible is cleaning out their desk this afternoon.

please, no!!
just be more careful...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."
                                       Richard Cook

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Jaime Casanova"
Дата:
On 1/18/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Gregory S. Williamson wrote:
> > I got one as well ... not a big deal in my mind since it's only happened once (weekly would be offensive), and it's
notentirely out of the realm of possibility that we'd have use for their services (I try to keep an update list of
possibleresources for my employers in the event that I get hit by a meteor or a bus or something equally debilitating).

> It is pretty bad mojo to harvest emails from a community list to
> generate targets for a spam. Keep in mind they didn't email you. They
> emailed people on the list. I mean just look at the email...
>
> Dear First Name,
>

> > Still, I think there might be an appropriate mailing list for this sort of commercial announcement which would be
betterthan the "retail" approach.

> There is... it's called pgsql-announce, and they know it.

i thought there is a list for that...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."
                                       Richard Cook

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 16:44, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
>> Harsh, aren't we?
>>
>> Rich and Garland weren't peddling pr0n or a pump-and-dump stock
>> scam.  The fact that they've lost some (a lot of?) respect from
>> potential customers will be pain enough.
>>

> Spam is spam.  I don't care what they're selling.  Anyone dumb enough to
> send spam in 2006 should be fired on the spot.

That is a bit extreme. One persons SPAM is another persons interesting
information. Although I agree that the behavior in this particular
situation was a bit less than the average IQ score.

If you are going to communicate with potential customers, especially as
SPAM have the integrity to do it yourself and take the heat yourself.
Don't use some off brand secondary service and pay them to spam for you.

I send out email all the time to potentials. It is common practice but I
do it, directly as me.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Gregory S. Williamson"
Дата:
In 2007 however, the punishment ought to be ... ??
;-)

<First Name>Greg</First Name> Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe Company

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s)and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those
provisions.Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient,please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

> Rich and Garland weren't peddling pr0n or a pump-and-dump stock
> scam.  The fact that they've lost some (a lot of?) respect from
> potential customers will be pain enough.

Spam is spam.  I don't care what they're selling.  Anyone dumb enough to
send spam in 2006 should be fired on the spot.

--
`"Gun-wielding recluse gunned down by local police" isn't the epitaph
I want. I am hoping for "Witnesses reported the sound up to two hundred
kilometers away" or "Last body part finally located".' --- James Nicoll

Click link below if it is SPAM gsw@globexplorer.com

"https://mailscanner.globexplorer.com/dspam/dspam.cgi?signatureID=45b0160f308471804284693&user=gsw@globexplorer.com&retrain=spam&template=history&history_page=1"
!DSPAM:45b0160f308471804284693!

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Richard Troy
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Spam is spam.  I don't care what they're selling.  Anyone dumb enough to
> > send spam in 2006 should be fired on the spot.
>
> That is a bit extreme. One persons SPAM is another persons interesting
> information. Although I agree that the behavior in this particular
> situation was a bit less than the average IQ score.
>
> If you are going to communicate with potential customers, especially as
> SPAM have the integrity to do it yourself and take the heat yourself.
> Don't use some off brand secondary service and pay them to spam for you.
>
> I send out email all the time to potentials. It is common practice but I
> do it, directly as me.

Josh, under the law, that's not spam. Individually written emails are
never spam even if they may be "unsolicited sales material." So, rest
assured.

Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Klint Gore
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:08:53 -0800, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Alan Hodgson wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 January 2007 16:44, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> >> Harsh, aren't we?
> >>
> >> Rich and Garland weren't peddling pr0n or a pump-and-dump stock
> >> scam.  The fact that they've lost some (a lot of?) respect from
> >> potential customers will be pain enough.
> >>

> > Spam is spam.  I don't care what they're selling.  Anyone dumb enough to
> > send spam in 2006 should be fired on the spot.
>
> That is a bit extreme. One persons SPAM is another persons interesting
> information. Although I agree that the behavior in this particular
> situation was a bit less than the average IQ score.
>
> If you are going to communicate with potential customers, especially as
> SPAM have the integrity to do it yourself and take the heat yourself.
> Don't use some off brand secondary service and pay them to spam for you.
>
> I send out email all the time to potentials. It is common practice but I
> do it, directly as me.

I think that this bit is the spam clincher

> Please click here to unsubscribe
> [http://now.eloqua.com/....]

Without that, I might have even filed it away in case I needed what they
were offering (24/7 phone support is useful for those of us in vastly
different time zones).

Mailing lists that I didn't ask to be on is a different story.

klint.

+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
: Klint Gore                            : "Non rhyming    :
: EMail   : kg@kgb.une.edu.au           :  slang - the    :
: Snail   : A.B.R.I.                    :  possibilities  :
: Mail      University of New England   :  are useless"   :
:           Armidale NSW 2351 Australia :     L.J.J.      :
: Fax     : +61 2 6772 5376             :                 :
+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Without that, I might have even filed it away in case I needed what they
> were offering (24/7 phone support is useful for those of us in vastly
> different time zones).

http://www.commandprompt.com/  :) We are more cost effective and have
been doing it for much, much longer ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Mailing lists that I didn't ask to be on is a different story.
>
> klint.
>
> +---------------------------------------+-----------------+
> : Klint Gore                            : "Non rhyming    :
> : EMail   : kg@kgb.une.edu.au           :  slang - the    :
> : Snail   : A.B.R.I.                    :  possibilities  :
> : Mail      University of New England   :  are useless"   :
> :           Armidale NSW 2351 Australia :     L.J.J.      :
> : Fax     : +61 2 6772 5376             :                 :
> +---------------------------------------+-----------------+

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:

> > Without that, I might have even filed it away in case I needed what they
> > were offering (24/7 phone support is useful for those of us in vastly
> > different time zones).
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/  :) We are more cost effective and have
> been doing it for much, much longer ;)

And you know, it wouldn't have been *so* bad if they'd just sent it from
themselves to -general or something.  Sending it directly to addresses
pulled from mailing lists is *bad* form and, imv, against proper mailing
list etiquette and justification for removal from the lists.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Вложения

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 06:14:23PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> http://www.commandprompt.com/  :) We are more cost effective and have
> been doing it for much, much longer ;)

As somebody with a measure of influence over PostgreSQL work in my
organization, I'll say that unsolicited email to my personal address
has not gone unremarked.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 08:02:58PM -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 06:14:23PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > http://www.commandprompt.com/  :) We are more cost effective and have
> > been doing it for much, much longer ;)
>
> As somebody with a measure of influence over PostgreSQL work in my
> organization, I'll say that unsolicited email to my personal address
> has not gone unremarked.

I'd like to clarify my remarks: I wasn't referring to Joshua or to
Command Prompt, but rather to the unsolicited email I received from
That Other Company.  I replied to Joshua's message to imply that
I'd be recommending that my organization consider talking to Command
Prompt.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Guy Fraser
Дата:
On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 17:48 -0800, Richard Troy wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >
> > > Spam is spam.  I don't care what they're selling.  Anyone dumb enough to
> > > send spam in 2006 should be fired on the spot.
> >
> > That is a bit extreme. One persons SPAM is another persons interesting
> > information. Although I agree that the behavior in this particular
> > situation was a bit less than the average IQ score.
> >
> > If you are going to communicate with potential customers, especially as
> > SPAM have the integrity to do it yourself and take the heat yourself.
> > Don't use some off brand secondary service and pay them to spam for you.
> >
> > I send out email all the time to potentials. It is common practice but I
> > do it, directly as me.
>
> Josh, under the law, that's not spam. Individually written emails are
> never spam even if they may be "unsolicited sales material." So, rest
> assured.
>
> Richard

You are oh so wrong in so many ways.

SPAM is a term used for unsolicited email of any kind be it UCE
{unsolicited commercial email}, UBE {unsolicited bulk email} or
anything else that is unsolicited and sent to a large number of
individuals or cross posted to a number of mailing lists and or
news groups.

I feel that all @en25.com and @enterprisedb.com should be
considered for banning from the PostgreSQL mailing lists without
a better apology than has been given to date:

"EnterpriseDB recently sent out email advertising new support offerings.
Unfortunately, the email was incorrectly sent to some people who should
not have received it.  We apologize for the error, and are taking steps
to avoid such mistakes in the future."
    Denis Lussier, CTO & Founder

The part about : "incorrectly sent to some people who should not have
received it"

Is far too weak. I am certain that I never expressed any interest
in EnterpriseDB on the announce list or any other PostgreSQL list.
Posting the message on the list would have been just as effective.
I would expect EnterpriseDB to remove me and anyone else who
has not expressed interest from their list. I thought that the FAQ
indicated that harvesting of emails off the list was not allowed,
I will have to review it, when I have time. As an employee of a
Network Service Provider, I know that we do not tolerate repeat
incidences of intentional Unsolicited email, and especially frown
on complaints of harvested mailing lists.

I do not want any personal communication from EnterpriseDB in
response to this posting or ever again in the future, if they want
to respond they can reply to this post on this mailing list.

I have verified that their NSP is in Canada and have determined
that address harvesting may be illegal if it is not already in
Canada. See Item 7 on :

http://www.e-com.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/inecic-ceac.nsf/en/h_gv00337e.html

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Richard Troy
Дата:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Guy Fraser wrote:

> > Josh, under the law, that's not spam. Individually written emails are
> > never spam even if they may be "unsolicited sales material." So, rest
> > assured.
> >
> > Richard
> >
> You are oh so wrong in so many ways.
>
> SPAM is a term used for unsolicited email of any kind be it UCE
> {unsolicited commercial email}, UBE {unsolicited bulk email} or
> anything else that is unsolicited and sent to a large number of
> individuals or cross posted to a number of mailing lists and or
> news groups.

Guy,

   No, by law, I'm correct, though it appears you've misread my post.
There's evidence you've misread what I wrote when you say, "sent to a
large number of individuals". When you sit down and author a letter to
_someone,_ "an individual", it's not spam. Note I didn't say "a large
number of individuals," I said "individually written," meaning, to one
person. ...I thought my writing was plain enough, but I guess English is
flexible enough to always provide room for misunderstanding...

BTW, this is a question of a legal definition of terms, not general use by
a community. Whatever the community thinks is irrelevent; there's law in
the U.S. regarding SPAM. I know not because I'm a lawyer and read the
statutes in question, but because I founded a company and as fearless
leader am responsible for knowing the rules; I consulted our corporate
council on the matter for definitive working rules in order to set our
corporate policy (in particular for Sales people as they're the biggest
risk to an organization in this regard).

Either way, I'm sure their embarassment on the matter is a substantial
penalty for the offending party as this community is their target customer
base, so your obvious anger can be at least somewhat satiated.

Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist
Science Tools Corporation
510-924-1363 or 202-747-1263
rtroy@ScienceTools.com, http://ScienceTools.com/

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On 1/19/07, Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> wrote:
> I feel that all @en25.com and @enterprisedb.com should be
> considered for banning from the PostgreSQL mailing lists without
> a better apology than has been given to date:

Thats a bit harsh IMO.  Many of the enterprisedb people are active
contributors to PostgreSQL and have been (pre-enterprisedb) for years.
 Stacking this up against a single incident I think 'we did it, it was
an accident' is good enough for me.  I'm not losing much sleep over
the one second it took to move the mail to my spam folder.  Yes, we
all know how annoying and stupid spam is but there is a human element
here that puts things in slightly different light, don't you think?

merlin

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
> SPAM is a term used for unsolicited email of any kind... sent to a large
number...

Thus the use of the word "bulk".

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Karen Hill"
Дата:
Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 15:54, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:
> > Anyone else get spam from EnterpriseDB today, talking about
> > "Postgresql Support Services"?
> >

> yep.  You really would think that even the marketing weenies might know
> better by now.

I do think that the unsolicited email was not an effective marketing
technique at all. Yet, I do not consider it on the same level as "SPAM"
(even though it may fit that description) because I understand that
many of the developers at that company are actively contributing to
PostgreSQL.  The reality is that postgres _is_ open source which makes
it difficult to create a viable business model because most people will
just download postgresql for free and get support on the mailing lists.

What I think it suggests is that the company is having some financial
difficulties.

The sad thing is that in order for PostgreSQL to remain competitive, it
probably needs paid developers working on it.  Oracle and the rest have
teams of professionals working on their RDBMS software 8 or more hours
per day.  It is naive to think that someone coming home after work
spending 2 hours a day can compete with a professional team working
full time.

I think a good business market would be PostgreSQL hosting.   Solaris
10 with PostgreSQL on a Zone.  Maybe another server with OpenBSD.  They
could then upsell their support to those hosted sites that have growing
traffic.

As for mass emailing, I think instead they should create a newsletter
they send out to subscribers.  It could be filled with useful tips and
ideas (at the bottom they could provide their contact information and
services provided).  This way, people would look forward to reading
their material and have positive associations of the company.

Just my 2 cents

Regards,
Karen

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On 19 Jan 2007 12:12:34 -0800, Karen Hill <karen_hill22@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Alan Hodgson wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 January 2007 15:54, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:
> > > Anyone else get spam from EnterpriseDB today, talking about
> > > "Postgresql Support Services"?
> > >

> > yep.  You really would think that even the marketing weenies might know
> > better by now.
>
> I do think that the unsolicited email was not an effective marketing
> technique at all. Yet, I do not consider it on the same level as "SPAM"
> (even though it may fit that description) because I understand that
> many of the developers at that company are actively contributing to
> PostgreSQL.  The reality is that postgres _is_ open source which makes
> it difficult to create a viable business model because most people will
> just download postgresql for free and get support on the mailing lists.
>
> What I think it suggests is that the company is having some financial
> difficulties.
>
> The sad thing is that in order for PostgreSQL to remain competitive, it
> probably needs paid developers working on it.  Oracle and the rest have
> teams of professionals working on their RDBMS software 8 or more hours
> per day.  It is naive to think that someone coming home after work
> spending 2 hours a day can compete with a professional team working
> full time.
>
> I think a good business market would be PostgreSQL hosting.   Solaris
> 10 with PostgreSQL on a Zone.  Maybe another server with OpenBSD.  They
> could then upsell their support to those hosted sites that have growing
> traffic.
>
> As for mass emailing, I think instead they should create a newsletter
> they send out to subscribers.  It could be filled with useful tips and
> ideas (at the bottom they could provide their contact information and
> services provided).  This way, people would look forward to reading
> their material and have positive associations of the company.
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
> Regards,
> Karen

oracle sucks :-)

merlin

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: Spam from EnterpriseDB?

От
"Holger Hoffstaette"
Дата:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:51:18 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> one second it took to move the mail to my spam folder.  Yes, we all know
> how annoying and stupid spam is but there is a human element here that
> puts things in slightly different light, don't you think?

Absolutely! I'd like to know how the human element got my email, and why
it decided to collect it in the first place.

-h