Обсуждение: Problem with result ordering

Problem with result ordering

От
Thorsten Körner
Дата:
Hi,

when I fire the following query:
select m_id, m_u_id, m_title, m_rating from tablename where m_id in (26250,
11042, 16279, 42197, 672089);

I will get the same results in the same order, as in in the next query:
select m_id, m_u_id, m_title, m_rating from tablename where m_id in
(11042,42197,672089,26250,16279);

I wonder, how it is possible, to retrieve the results in the same order, as
queried in the list. The listed IDs are from an application outside the
database.

Version is PostgreSQL 8.2.1

Has anyone an idea, how to do this, while PostgreSQL knows nothing about
hints, like oracle does?

THX,
Thorsten

Re: Problem with result ordering

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: Problem with result ordering

Дата:
Thorsten =?iso-8859-1?q?K=F6rner?= <t.koerner@cappuccinosoft.de> writes:
> select m_id, m_u_id, m_title, m_rating from tablename where m_id in (26250,
> 11042, 16279, 42197, 672089);

> I wonder, how it is possible, to retrieve the results in the same order, as
> queried in the list.

You could rewrite the query as

select ... from tablename where m_id = 26250
union all
select ... from tablename where m_id = 11042
union all
select ... from tablename where m_id = 16279
union all
select ... from tablename where m_id = 42197
union all
select ... from tablename where m_id = 672089

This isn't guaranteed by the SQL spec to produce the results in any
particular order either; but there's no good reason for PG to rearrange
the order of the UNION arms, whereas there are plenty of good reasons to
try to optimize fetching of individual rows.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Problem with result ordering

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Thu, dem 25.01.2007, um 16:45:23 +0100 mailte Thorsten Körner folgendes:
> Hi,
>
> when I fire the following query:
> select m_id, m_u_id, m_title, m_rating from tablename where m_id in (26250,
> 11042, 16279, 42197, 672089);
>
> I will get the same results in the same order, as in in the next query:
> select m_id, m_u_id, m_title, m_rating from tablename where m_id in
> (11042,42197,672089,26250,16279);
>
> I wonder, how it is possible, to retrieve the results in the same order, as
> queried in the list. The listed IDs are from an application outside the
> database.

a little trick;

store your order-definition and the where-condition in a separate table.

Our table:
test=*# select * from foo;
 id |  val
----+-------
  1 | text1
  2 | text2
  3 | text3
  4 | text4
  5 | text5
(5 rows)

Our sort-order:
-- col a: the sort-order
-- col b: the where-condition
test=*# select * from o;
 a | b
---+---
 1 | 3
 2 | 5
 3 | 1
(3 rows)

test=*# select foo.id, foo.val from foo join o on foo.id=o.b order by o.a;
 id |  val
----+-------
  3 | text3
  5 | text5
  1 | text1
(3 rows)

You can try it without this table, only with generate_series or so.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Problem with result ordering

От
Thorsten Körner
Дата:
Hi Fillip,

thanks for your hint, I have tested it on a development database, and it
worked well.
Are there any experiences how this will affect performance on a large
database, with very high traffic?
Is it recommended to use temp tables in such an environment?

THX in advance
Thorsten

--
CappuccinoSoft Business Systems
Hamburg

Re: Problem with result ordering

От
"Ted Byers"
Дата:
The question I'd ask before offering a solution is, "Does the order of the
id data matter, or is it a question of having all the results for a given id
together before proceeding to the next id?"  The answer to this will
determine whether or not adding either a group by clause or an order by
clause will help.

Is there a reason you client app doesn't submit a simple select for each of
the required ids?  You'd have to do some checking to see whether it pays to
have the ordering or grouping operation handled on the server or client.
Other options to consider, perhaps affecting performance and security, would
be parameterized queries or stored procedures.

Much depends on the design and implementation of your client app.  I know,
e.g., that in ASP.NET 2, and later, you can handle multiple resultsets from
a single datasource, so a trivially simple SQL script that consists of the
simplest SELECT statements might be a viable option.  But it is hard to
advise since you don't say if you have access to or control over the source
code for the client app or what it is written in.

In my experience, I always have to run some benchmarks for a given
distributed application to figure out how best to distribute the workload,
and there are always plenty of different ways to do things, with often big
differences in performance and security.  It seems never to be trivial to
figure this out without some testing before a final decision.  I can never
just assume that it is best to do all the processing in the RDBMS backend to
my apps.

HTH

Ted

> select m_id, m_u_id, m_title, m_rating from tablename where m_id in
> (26250,
> 11042, 16279, 42197, 672089);
>
> I will get the same results in the same order, as in in the next query:
> select m_id, m_u_id, m_title, m_rating from tablename where m_id in
> (11042,42197,672089,26250,16279);
>
> I wonder, how it is possible, to retrieve the results in the same order,
> as
> queried in the list. The listed IDs are from an application outside the
> database.
>
> Version is PostgreSQL 8.2.1
>
> Has anyone an idea, how to do this, while PostgreSQL knows nothing about
> hints, like oracle does?
>
> THX,
> Thorsten

Re: Problem with result ordering

От
Tommy Gildseth
Tom Lane wrote:
> Thorsten =?iso-8859-1?q?K=F6rner?= <t.koerner@cappuccinosoft.de> writes:
>
>> select m_id, m_u_id, m_title, m_rating from tablename where m_id in (26250,
>> 11042, 16279, 42197, 672089);
>>
> You could rewrite the query as
>
> select ... from tablename where m_id = 26250
> union all
> select ... from tablename where m_id = 11042
> union all
> select ... from tablename where m_id = 16279
> union all
> select ... from tablename where m_id = 42197
> union all
> select ... from tablename where m_id = 672089
>
> This isn't guaranteed by the SQL spec to produce the results in any
> particular order either; but there's no good reason for PG to rearrange
> the order of the UNION arms, whereas there are plenty of good reasons to
> try to optimize fetching of individual rows.

Or a variant of this,
SELECT m_id, m_u_id, m_title, m_rating from tablename where m_id in (26250,
11042, 16279, 42197, 672089) ORDER BY m_id=26250, m_id=11042,
m_id=16279, m_id=42197, m_id=672089;

--
Tommy Gildseth
http://www.gildseth.com/

Re: Problem with result ordering

От
Thorsten Körner
Дата:
Hi Ted,

Am Donnerstag, 25. Januar 2007 19:53 schrieb Ted Byers:
> The question I'd ask before offering a solution is, "Does the order of the
> id data matter, or is it a question of having all the results for a given
> id together before proceeding to the next id?"  The answer to this will
> determine whether or not adding either a group by clause or an order by
> clause will help.
>
> Is there a reason you client app doesn't submit a simple select for each of
> the required ids?  You'd have to do some checking to see whether it pays to
> have the ordering or grouping operation handled on the server or client.
> Other options to consider, perhaps affecting performance and security,
> would be parameterized queries or stored procedures.

Yes, the reason is, that a large list of ids are generated from a users
request, coming from outside our application (for example as an EXCEL sheet),
and the output msut be ordered by the ordering in this list.
Surely we can handle this in our client application (java code), but I think
it would be more sexy to have this possibility in the database logic, since
our client-application should not do much more than retrieve data from the db
and then present it.

Thanks for your comments
Thorsten

--
CappuccinoSoft Business Systems
Hamburg

Re: Problem with result ordering

От
"Ted Byers"
Дата:
> Hi Ted,

Hi Thorsten,

> Am Donnerstag, 25. Januar 2007 19:53 schrieb Ted Byers:
>> The question I'd ask before offering a solution is, "Does the order of
>> the
>> id data matter, or is it a question of having all the results for a given
>> id together before proceeding to the next id?"  The answer to this will
>> determine whether or not adding either a group by clause or an order by
>> clause will help.
>>
>> Is there a reason you client app doesn't submit a simple select for each
>> of
>> the required ids?  You'd have to do some checking to see whether it pays
>> have the ordering or grouping operation handled on the server or client.
>> Other options to consider, perhaps affecting performance and security,
>> would be parameterized queries or stored procedures.
>
> Yes, the reason is, that a large list of ids are generated from a users
> request, coming from outside our application (for example as an EXCEL
> sheet),
> and the output msut be ordered by the ordering in this list.
> Surely we can handle this in our client application (java code), but I
> think
> it would be more sexy to have this possibility in the database logic,
> since
> our client-application should not do much more than retrieve data from the
> db
> and then present it.

To be honest, your rationale here makes no sense to me, business or
otherwise.  I think I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you this.  Of course,
what you do is up to you, but I never concern myself with what is 'more
sexy' when designing a distributed application.  I can see a number of
situations in which your approach would result in terrible performance.  If
you have a lot of users, and you're putting all the workload on your data
server, all the client apps will end up spending a lot of time waiting for
the server to do its thing.  Ordering the display of data, while it can be
helped by the database, is really a presentation issue and IMHO the best
place for that, by default, is the client app (i.e. do it server side only
if there is a very good reason to do so).

If I understand you correctly, you have a java application as the client
app, and it receives your users' ID data, from whatever source.  I'd assume,
and hope, that you have built code to read the IDs from sources like your
Excel spreadsheet, but that doesn't matter that much.  For the purpose of
this exchange, it wouldn't matter if you made your clients enter the data
manually (though IMHO it would be sadistic to make users manually enter a
long list of values when you can as easily have the program read them from a
file of whatever format).  The point it that you say "our client-application
should not do much more than retrieve data from the db and then present it",
and this implies you get the IDs into your client application.  You say
you're getting "a large list of ids" "coming from outside our application."
If your database is large, and your list of IDs is long, you may be taking a
huge performance hit by making the database perform either an ordering or
grouping that both would be unnecessary if you constructed a series of
simple parameterized queries in your client app and executed them in the
order you desire.  Whether or not this matters will depend on just how large
your large is, how many simultaneous users there'd be, and how powerful the
server hardware is (but I'd be quite upset if one of my developers made me
pay more for a faster server just because he or she thought it would be sexy
to do all the work on the server rather than the client).

Given what you've just said, if I were in your place, I'd be addressing the
ordering issues in the client java application first, and then look at doing
it in the database only if doing this work in the client app presented
problems that could be addressed by doing the work on the server.  Equally
importantly, if there is a reason to not take the obvious and simple option,
I'd be doing some performance evaluation based on enough test data to
reasonably simulate real world usage so that I'd have hard data on which
option is to be preferred.

> Thanks for your comments
> Thorsten

You're welcome.  I hope you find this useful.

Ted
> --
> CappuccinoSoft Business Systems
> Hamburg