Обсуждение: user input during runtime

user input during runtime

От
"Ashish Karalkar"
Дата:
Hello All,
I want to prompt user to input some value and do some action on that value in runtime of a sql script.
Is there any psql command to do this ??
I can use \echo do display massage
but to take input what is the command?
Thanks in advance

With Regards
Ashish Karalkar

Re: user input during runtime

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> Hello All,
> I want to prompt user to input some value and do some action on that value in runtime of a sql script.
> Is there any psql command to do this ??
> I can use \echo do display massage
> but to take input what is the command?
> Thanks in advance

You can do:

    \echo -n 'Enter value: '
    \set x `read && echo $REPLY`

in psql. I think we will have \prompt in 8.3.

Re: user input during runtime

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 08:23:48PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> > Hello All,
> > I want to prompt user to input some value and do some action on that value in runtime of a sql script.
> > Is there any psql command to do this ??
> > I can use \echo do display massage
> > but to take input what is the command?
> > Thanks in advance
>
> You can do:
>
>     \echo -n 'Enter value: '
>     \set x `read && echo $REPLY`

Neat trick!  Is there one that works on all our supported platforms?
I'm guessing Win32 will just get confused about backticks.

> in psql. I think we will have \prompt in 8.3.

Well, I guess it's not all that crucial with \prompt coming out. :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: user input during runtime

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
David Fetter wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 08:23:48PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Ashish Karalkar wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>> I want to prompt user to input some value and do some action on that value in runtime of a sql script.
>>> Is there any psql command to do this ??
>>> I can use \echo do display massage
>>> but to take input what is the command?
>>> Thanks in advance
>> You can do:
>>
>>     \echo -n 'Enter value: '
>>     \set x `read && echo $REPLY`
>
> Neat trick!  Is there one that works on all our supported platforms?
> I'm guessing Win32 will just get confused about backticks.

Win32 will deal with the backticks Ok, but not the read && echo part.
You can set it to the output of a variable, for example
\set x `echo foo`

but I haven't been able to trick it into actually reading something. One
would think something like:
\set x `set /p Z= && echo %Z%`
would work, but it doesn't. One reason for this is that %Z% is actually
resolved at parsing time. it's a pain in CMD language, but that's how it
works. :-(

//Magnus

Re: user input during runtime

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Win32 will deal with the backticks Ok, but not the read && echo part.
> You can set it to the output of a variable, for example
> \set x `echo foo`
>
> but I haven't been able to trick it into actually reading something. One
> would think something like:
> \set x `set /p Z= && echo %Z%`
> would work, but it doesn't. One reason for this is that %Z% is actually
> resolved at parsing time. it's a pain in CMD language, but that's how it
> works. :-(

CMD "language"?  LOL

Re: user input during runtime

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Win32 will deal with the backticks Ok, but not the read && echo part.
>> You can set it to the output of a variable, for example
>> \set x `echo foo`
>>
>> but I haven't been able to trick it into actually reading something. One
>> would think something like:
>> \set x `set /p Z= && echo %Z%`
>> would work, but it doesn't. One reason for this is that %Z% is actually
>> resolved at parsing time. it's a pain in CMD language, but that's how it
>> works. :-(
>
> CMD "language"?  LOL

We have our own language?

;)